Jaw problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to diving here in central Texas. Well anyways, when I did my open water diver recently, after my second dive I had problems with my jaw locking up. Im wondering if this happens to anyone else. I know they make special mouthpieces of silicone, but I dont own my own gear yet. I figure thats the way to go though to make it more enjoyable. Also, I was wearing a hood which seemed to compound the problem. Well any help would be great. Thanks!

wow... so your jaw locked up? i think you definetely need to see a doctor about
that. that's never happened to me (i use a hood too), though my jaw does get
tired and sore sometimes.

RRDiver:
Hey guys, Im new to diving here in central Texas. Well anyways, when I did my open water diver recently, after my second dive I had problems with my jaw locking up. Im wondering if this happens to anyone else. I know they make special mouthpieces of silicone, but I dont own my own gear yet. I figure thats the way to go though to make it more enjoyable. Also, I was wearing a hood which seemed to compound the problem. Well any help would be great. Thanks!

I had similar problems. I replaced the standard mouthpiece of my reg with a form-fitting Sea-cure mouthpiece. No problems now! You can order one from www.leisurepro.com. Some LDSs carry Seacure as well.

++ Peter

Relax your grip on the mouth piece. your biting too hard. I experienced the same thing well mine just hurt like crazy but I learned to relax and not bite so hard, plus after turning my head once and biting right through the rubber you realize just how much your biting....

see if thats helpful or not Just my $.02

Thanks guys. Yeah once I got out of the water I was having problems with my jaw, it didnt hurt, just uncomfortable. I figure those silicone mouthpieces help. Just another reason to buy my own gear.

RRDiver:

It may have been a hose tension contributing to the jaw stress. In my first (and only so far) pool session I know the regulator hose was anything but neutral, like the hose was a tad short, rocking the first stage to a slightly different angle may have helped. For a piece of shop gear short term I just dealt with it but I expect to have my personal gear fitting more neutrally.

Pete

I am a big fan of Oceanic moldable mouthpieces. You heat them up in water and then bite down on them to form them to the shape of your particular bite.

You can have your mouth almost as closed as if there is nothing in it while diving.

Seacures are okay, but they are kind of long. The Oceanic is superior. I dive for hours at a time with absolutely no discomfort.

Even if you don't own your own equipment, you can just buy the mouthpiece and put it on the rental regulator for that day.

I've found a big difference since I put a Sea-Cure on my regulator - much less jaw fatigue.

I will agree with the majority here and say that mouthpiece fit is important.
It is also very helpful to relax more and not bite so hard.

Also, make sure that the hood is not too tight.
A hood that is too tight can cause lots of problems including jaw pain, head ache and carotid sinus reflex.

I think that as a new diver it is most likely stress and biting too hard that is the key problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom