Jaw problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another fan of orthodontic mouthpieces, similar to US Divers comfibite with the bridge piece across the top of the mouth. The reg stays comfortably in place whatever the hose angle and with minimum bite pressure.

The only drawback I see is that if some OOA diver suddenly tries to grab my primary by force, they are likely to get a reg with no mouthpiece. :wink:

RNR, many new divers are concerned about drowning when they first begin scuba diving. Fortunately for me, I was not, partly because I grew up skin diving and partly because I was a lifeguard for a few years. The natural tendency to "do what it takes" not to drown is to bite down as hard as you can on the mouth piece to make sure it doesn't leave your mouth. Try doing some more local diving with a better made or mouldable mouthpiece and practice your regulator recovery - not only with your primary, but with your alternate too. When you become familiar with these two actions, you will not have to worry about your next breath as you will know where it is. Have fun and DSAO!

I agree with Miketsp, I love my comfo bite mouthpiece. I have TMJ and it really relieves a lot of the jaw fatigue. Also, like Firebrand said, as I became more expierenced and comfortable in the water I relaxed my molar death grip on my mouthpiece.

Ken

ScubaDadMiami:
I am a big fan of Oceanic moldable mouthpieces. You heat them up in water and then bite down on them to form them to the shape of your particular bite.

You can have your mouth almost as closed as if there is nothing in it while diving.

Seacures are okay, but they are kind of long. The Oceanic is superior. I dive for hours at a time with absolutely no discomfort.

Even if you don't own your own equipment, you can just buy the mouthpiece and put it on the rental regulator for that day.

I had to laugh when I read this. :jester: Yes, the Sea Cures are long, but that's on purpose since you trim them to fit your mouth and comfort level. :wink:

I dive with the SeaCure and it's made all the difference in the world for me. I find that all I need to do now is keep my mouth closed and it stays in place without moving around and having to grip it.

Bottom line is that you might consider trying a moldable mouth piece (doesn't matter which brand), and that you can use your own on rental gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom