Japanese Whaling Ship Catches Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
by your reckoning, perhaps ... but you could be wrong, others may disagree with you
No, I'm definitely right. No other species trashes the world as we humans do. We're simply unsustainable and we're dragging the rest of the world down with us.

H2Andy:
our views on animals are fairly new ... the rest of the world has much more traditional views, where animals are seen as resources and property, not individual beings with rights
No, "our" current views on animals, that animals are just another crop to be harvested at will, are new. More traditional views hold that animals are endowed with spirits, not resources merely to be consumed.

H2Andy:
you might think the life of a whale and a human being are equivalent, but be aware you are in the extreme minority
I don't hold them equivalent. I would prescribe more rights to the whale, given that they suffered at our hands for centuries. Affirmative action is necessary at this point or else they'll be extinguished altogether.

Plenty of people in your majority have no problem with the deaths of other humans due to capital punishment, collateral damage, or remote genocide. But if it's death in the line of whale killing, the tears start to fall. Obviously those priorities are screwed up. If people are sacred, don't condone any killing whatsover. If people aren't sacred, then value judgments can be made.

For instance, take the following hypothetical: One man has his hands on the button that will send a whale song to all the whales around the world simultaneously, causing them all to commit suicide by diving to the bottom of the ocean and staying there. How many in your vast majority would opt to save this guy's life, when killing him is the only way to save every whale on the planet?

is a sailor who works on a whaling ship evil? no, they look at whales differently
Yeah, yeah. Bin Laden isn't evil either, he's just under a religious misapprehension. When your vast majority weeps for him upon his eventual demise, I'll weep for dead whalers.

cdreamer:
I think based on the smilie with the club and the seal pup, we all know where you
stand politically.
and by your location we know where you stand, my location will fool you though :wink: :54:

Mossman:
No, I'm definitely right.

cool, that makes two of us!

No other species trashes the world as we humans do. We're simply unsustainable and we're dragging the rest of the world down with us.

i agree. i am just not willing to throw a party when a working guy dies on the job

Plenty of people in your majority have no problem with the deaths of other humans due to capital punishment, collateral damage, or remote genocide. But if it's death in the line of whale killing, the tears start to fall.

well ... if you consider that a whale life is important, isn't human life important too?

i don't see how you can fight for the lives of whales and not care about the lives of humans

i think it's a bit disengenous for you to decry how others dont' care for human life (capital punishment, etc.) and at the same time say you don't care for human life lost while whaling

aren't you the same as they?

wardric:
I guess your opinion would change if this ONE life would be your brother or sister or close relative. Then again, it's only foreigners in a far away country you dont give a damm aboot.
Nope. I'm an only child. All my close relatives are dead or should be dead. If I knew anyone close to me involved in whaling, I might kill him or her myself.

Besides, it's only whales in a far away country yet I somehow give a damm aboot them, eh?

Gussy:
...and he is not alone!

i could never be happy over the death of a human being, even a tyrant like Saddam Hussein. they're still people, and there but for the grace of God i might have gone

Mossman:
If I knew anyone close to me involved in whaling, I might kill him or her myself.

... you wouldn't have the ******

but that's just crazy ...

:popcorn:

Wow! That's really messed up.

Mossman:
Nope. I'm an only child. All my close relatives are dead or should be dead. If I knew anyone close to me involved in whaling, I might kill him or her myself.

Besides, it's only whales in a far away country yet I somehow give a damm aboot them, eh?

now we're talking about premeditated murder, come on :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom