Japanese Whaling Ship Catches Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Unforgiven:

"It's a hell of a thing, taking a man's life. You take away everything he has, and everything he ever would have"

wardric:
The ship can be repaired or rebuild. The sailor's life is lost forever.

There are 5,000,000,000 humans left on this planet. How many whale lives were lost forever to this boat and its crew? How many whales are left on the planet? I believe the answer is down in the millions, certainly not billions. We should be harvesting and grinding up extraneous people to feed to the whales, not worrying about a few more dead people in this world where millions starve everyday due to overpopulation.

wardric:
Who knows. Maybe he was doing this for a living to feed his wife and children... that are now widow and orphans. If you have children, try to think about it.
I don't have children. Too many people in the world, remember?

The fact is, it's hard to care much about people who die while involved in morally reprehensible activities. We don't mourn the lives of genocidal maniacs, even though they were hacking off limbs and gassing people because they thought it would make the world a better place. We don't mourn armed bank robbers because they were supporting a wife and kids. Today Robin Hood would be locked up for life under the three-strikes law. It's the conduct that matters and whaling is evil conduct. If the guy were forced at gun point (or better yet, his family held at gun point) to participate in the whaling, that's one thing. If he was just in it to make a buck, there are far less evil ways to earn a living.

What they were doing is not illegal.

Crawl79:
The ship can be repaired or rebuild. The sailor's life is lost forever.

Who knows. Maybe he was doing this for a living to feed his wife and children... that are now widow and orphans. If you have children, try to think about it.

Or maybe he was doing it to pay for studies that would get him to university where he would have become a famous biologist who in 20 years from now helped save the last Whales.

To see people happy with his death without knowing anything about him is one of the reasons why I cant stand tree hugging extremists

Wardric the last sentence in your post summs it up for me as well.

That was the point.

But even then, I would not enjoy or applaude the death of a sea shepperd sailor or any other extremists.

Mossman:
It's the conduct that matters and whaling is evil conduct.

by your reckoning, perhaps ... but you could be wrong, others may disagree with you

our views on animals are fairly new ... the rest of the world has much more traditional views, where animals are seen as resources and property, not individual beings with rights

you might think the life of a whale and a human being are equivalent, but be aware you are in the extreme minority

should the japanese be whaling? no, it's a waste of resources and counterproductive

is a sailor who works on a whaling ship evil? no, they look at whales differently

Mossman:
, not worrying about a few more dead people in this world where millions starve everyday due to overpopulation.

I guess your opinion would change if this ONE life would be your brother or sister or close relative. Then again, it's only foreigners in a far away country you dont give a damm aboot.

Kim:
I don't like Sea Shepherd at all. They had nothing to do with this though. The boat they rammed was one of the other ones, and they were heading back to Australia low on fuel when this happened AFAIK.

Sea Shepherd did not ram the Kaiko Maru, if they did they would own up to it. The Kaiko Maru rammed the Sea Shepherd ship Robert Hunter, not once but twice. Sea
Shepherd has video to prove it. Looks like the whale hunt is pretty much over.

wardric:
I was about to make a political comment but i'll :scubahelmet: (self-moderate) myself. Anyway, I think you know about the door you just opened.

I think based on the smilie with the club and the seal pup, we all know where you
stand politically.

Back
Top Bottom