Jackson Blue Accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The JB incident has been a battleground over on Techdiver with a Texas contingent (Jonathan was from Texas) calling Trey a liar for saying that he had seen the ME's preliminary report and suggesting that J had died as the result of diving too soon after an illness. They also claimed that J had been cleared for diving by his doc and that even Trey had cleared him for WKPP diving, something Trey denies.

The fact is that, up until Trey spoke out, the illness theory was exactly what one of J's and my good friends in Texas was saying to me privately, that J probably died as the result of an overpressure injury contributed to by the earlier serious fever that had caused his head to be swollen up dangerously and had nearly killed him.

As usual it turned into a sophomoric name-calling exercise on both sides, something I am glad to see is not likely to take over on this list because of the moderation.

Trey is a guy who has a lot to offer and is undeniably one of the best cave diving team leaders in the world today and an excellent diver himself. He's also a lightening rod, sparing no one in his judgement of tech diving today, a judgement I largely share. However, he can be a real a--hole about the whole thing which, although I understand the WHY, I'm not sure I agree with the methods.

On the other hand there is a collection of old "good old boy" divers from Florida who hate his guts (BTW, there are some very good divers down there) and much of the power structure down there has often failed, IMHO, to properly promote safety, some say to keep a revenue stream going for its instructors and in part as a turf war which I've witnessed close up and which is NOT pretty.

The old cave organizations collected a database some years back which has been collated and studied by a very good organization called the IUCRR but which inexplicably has refused to make the database of cave diving deaths available to the cave diving public, even when divers have volunteered to do all of the work rewriting all of them to remove all traces of the identities and then publish the result under the IUCRR's strict guidelines. They made a promise to do so, but never allowed access to the actual database materials so the job could be done and so the promise was never fulfilled.

There is some progress however, as the webmaster has recently started to post some of these AA-style reports online, but the vast treasure-trove of accidents going back over a decade remains their proprietary info and they dribble out stats and info as they see fit. What a tool for safe cave diving that could be!

Sheck Exley thought it so important that many years ago he wrote a book entitled A BLUEPRINT FOR SURVIVAL. Each chapter starting with an accident report that he then dissected to demonstrate some bad diving practice that lead to a death or incident and from which we all learned. I don't know any good cave diver that doesn't cite that book as being formative. You can see the stats and some reports at www.IUCRR.com. I hope that with time they will see the light and release this critical safety information to the real owners of the data: all active, living cave divers. The dead no longer need it.

With friends in both camps, I respect divers from both "sides" of the issue. I tend to believe that George (Trey) has it about right on the safety and configuration score, while he's not someone I'd see to fine-tune my manners, although in person he's nothing like the online persona. Well, mostly. :)

The truth may or may not come out about Jonathan. There have been some cave deaths that I have heard have had the ME reports suppressed to protect the reputation of the dead. I think that they're dead and we need to protect the living and tell the truth, so it's ironic to me that Trey is being criticized for lying in this matter. Only time will tell what the truth really is . . . and maybe not then.

But petty infighting isn't the answer, a rational and honest dialogue is the way out of this mess.

Dive Safe,

JoeL

Just to chime in with Pete - good post Joel! Welcome from gray/dreary central Ohio (where drams of 'blue' diving dance in our heads).

Originally posted by martinjc
Just to chime in with Pete - good post Joel! Welcome from gray/dreary central Ohio (where drams of 'blue' diving dance in our heads).

Thanks! Very cute kids you have there!

A land-locked diver, eh? Well, there's always the airport. :)

I hope we BOTH get back in the water soon!

JoeL

Originally posted by jjoeldm
The fact is that, up until Trey spoke out, the illness theory was exactly what one of J's and my good friends in Texas was saying to me privately, that J probably died as the result of an overpressure injury contributed to by the earlier serious fever that had caused his head to be swollen up dangerously and had nearly killed him.

You can see the stats and some reports at www.IUCRR.com.

JoeL

I gave the IUCRR website as .com, but it's actually WWW.IUCRR.ORG.

I also left out the alternative theory on Jonathan's death that was suggested by his Texas friends.

They have said that he was carrying, either during the dive or stashed at his deco-stop, a bottle of 100% Helium and that during deco, they claim, he breathed from that bottle and, of course, expired.

Of course, that doesn't make any sense. There is NO reason for such a bottle to be underwater ANYWHERE, certainly not in JB. But I guess the theory is that it was possibly a short-term way for him to store the remaining Helium in a large bottle before sending it back and that it was a case of mistaken identity -- he grabbd the wrong (and apparently mislabeled) bottle.

Any way you look at it, it sucks. If he mislabeled it, then that is just a dumb mistake that should never happen. But there has also been a suggestion that maybe he did so INTENTIONALLY which I find very hard to believe or that he was simply not in his right mind which makes me wonder what his buddy was up to and how attentive he was to his buddy.

At any rate, we have theories, but no conclusive evidence that I'm aware of at this point. By all accounts, Jonathan was a nice guy with devoted friends, I hope we learn the truth of what actually took place.

JoeL

Joel,
I think the He bottle is a red herring. As I mentioned before I don't feel that what I've heard is well enough substantiated to post here, but I will say that *everything* I've gotten via the grapevine has supported a substantial barotrauma of some sort.
Sure would like to see the ME report. I *think* I know the lesson here, but I'd like to know - the thought that there may be some *new* lesson for us that may save one of us in the future fuels that desire.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
Joel,
I think the He bottle is a red herring. As I mentioned before I don't feel that what I've heard is well enough substantiated to post here, but I will say that *everything* I've gotten via the grapevine has supported a substantial barotrauma of some sort.
Sure would like to see the ME report. I *think* I know the lesson here, but I'd like to know - the thought that there may be some *new* lesson for us that may save one of us in the future fuels that desire.
Rick

Rick,

Yeah, I agree. The blood in the mask and the circumstances and the site all make me think this was an overpressure injury of some type.

Every time there's an "accident" I always await and hope for a timely and painfully honest accident report and then I read it and think either "whew, I don't do THAT!" or "uh oh, looks like I might want to change something" based on whatever the report says.

These reports, IMHO, are the best safety tools we have. Diving and especially cave diving are very complex activities and being able to trace the chain of events that lead to an accident can help us all take stock of what we're doing right and what we're NOT doing right, however subtle.

The agencies need to get off their butts and do their jobs and get those reports published for all to read, past and present.

JoeL

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom