I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea how other companies do wireless transmission. As I said, I am no expert in this. Since I appear to be your whipping boy of choice, go right ahead. I've made some inquires so I can learn something. When I get more information so I understand it better, I'll post what I learn. In the meantime, abuse me all you like. it's clear what your agenda is. Go hungry. I won't feed a troll. :)

I have no idea how other companies do wireless transmission. As I said, I am no expert in this. Since I appear to be your whipping boy of choice, go right ahead. I've made some inquires so I can learn something. When I get more information so I understand it better, I'll post what I learn. In the meantime, abuse me all you like. it's clear what your agenda is. Go hungry. I won't feed a troll. :)

Au contraire. No whipping intended. It's clear that this thread has veered sufficiently from the OP about reliability of Wireless vs Non-wireless connections and has veered into a semantic discussion of what constitutes wireless transmission.

There is no new discovery that Hollis have made with regard to transmission of radio waves. At least insofar as the basic physics of this thing. The trick is transmission of radio underwater. It's very difficult and only works at very short distance.

"There are only two types of waves that could be used as a means of transferring signals in underwater communication systems, sonar waves and electromagnetic waves; in some cases, both of these waves are used together. These two waves are different in nature; sonar waves are caused by a physical vibration of particles and electromagnetic waves are caused by interference in an electromagnetic field. Due to the physical nature of these waves, the sonar waves perform very well when they are used in an underwater environment; however, it is possible to employ electromagnetic waves for underwater communication, as well as for the trans-boundary communication between air and water. Whatever the design of the underwater communication system, whether using sonar waves or electromagnetic waves, it is simply a combination of electronic circuits which are designed based on already existing circuit theories."

If you want more, see the following:

http://www.tr.ietejournals.org/arti...e=29;issue=4;spage=307;epage=317;aulast=Yusof

That's it. Sorry if I upset you. It was unintended.

No, actually the answer is J. As in J Valve.

New fangled foolishness.

N

You seem to have fixed on horseless carriage as a definitive exemplar of neologistic word construction. It is not. Just think of all those propellorless aircraft and painless dentists.

Propellorless aircraft - an aircraft that replaces the propellor with something else

Hoseless pressure gauge - a pressure gauge that replaces the mechanical connection between tank and sensor - the HP hose - with something else (a radio connection).

Just to be absolutely clear, I'm fully aware that wireless is the common vernacular, and that no one uses the term "hoseless" in conversation. In fact, "hoseless" is so rarely used, that my autocorrect keeps changing it to "noseless"..!

That still doesn't make it correct. :D

There is far more than the simple replacement of a hose with a transmitter involved. Something much closer to a sea-change has occurred.

I didn't say it was simple, but a wireless AI computer replaces the hose connecting the first stage HP port to the pressure sensor with a transmitter and receiver connecting the first stage HP port to the pressure sensor. The fact that a brass and glass SPG and a computer with AI use different types of pressure sensors doesn't change the terminology that refers to the link.

The correct term is wireless. The connection is electrical, not mechanical.

Once again, you don't seem to be grasping my argument. It's fine if you disagree with me, but you should at least understand what I am saying.

To say something is "wireless" means that a connection that was formerly by wire is now by something else (i.e. a radio link). So "the connection" that was replaced by the radio link, is, in this case, a mechanical connection. While a wireless connection is obviously electrical, what it replaces is mechanical. Not sure why this is not clear, but perhaps I am clueless or artless in my prose.

On a more positive note, I was greatly amused by your 'air integrated consoles' reference. I don't think I've seen a console in use by an experienced diver in quite a few years.

I'm sorry to be witless, carless and senseless. But I'm glad that I'm amusing! :)

I have no idea what the fact that consoles aren't used by experienced divers has to do with this discussion. Perhaps you thought that I was recommending them or something?

There are, to my knowledge, three ways of reading your tank pressure while scuba diving - (1) an analog SPG on a hose, (2) an AI computer (or other digital SPG) on a hose, and (3) a computer with wireless AI (typically wrist mounted). I was distinguishing #3 from #1 and #2 for the purposes of the semantic discussion of "hoseless" vs "wireless".

What term would you use for #2 that would be preferable to "air integrated console"? I'm happy to use that one if you prefer.

Similarly, what would happen if you attached a large polish sausage to the side of your head?

...then the swarm of fish nibbling on the sausage would block the signal! Doh!

---------- Post added February 21st, 2014 at 01:08 AM ----------

Maybe you could clip it to your left shoulder D-ring.:depressed:

why stop there? run it down the entire length of your arm until it's 1/2 inch away from the wrist unit unit...brilliant!

I use a Data Mask and an Atom 2.0 with the same transmitter. (I also have a Cressi-Sub Mini SPG for backup) I have not had any drop-offs other than a couple of times while on low battery. (My fault for not swapping out) It was during a 3rd tank and I got the low battery during the 2nd tank. It didn't die, but lost connectivity on the Atom 2.0 but not the Data Mask according to the download. I have approx 1000 dives on this setup and do carry a backup transmitter in my kit. It seems to work for me. Hope this helps the OP.

To say something is "wireless" means that a connection that was formerly by wire is now by something else (i.e. a radio link).

No it does not. The term "wireless" no longer means "without wires". It simply means using radio waves for transmission/reception. I also remember using the term as a noun when I was a kid. "Turn down the wireless". I doubt that my kids even know what a wireless is. (I suspect that their grandchildren may not even know what a TV is). If the OP had used "radio" instead of "wireless" this argument would be null and void.

The term wireless does not mean that something formerly done by wire is now done differently. It simply means that there are no wires. Nothing else.

No it does not. The term "wireless" no longer means "without wires".

Aha! And that, my friend, is where we are at loggerheads.

Since language is an evolving thing, I don't know if there is any way to resolve this crucial and fascinating point. The authors of dictionaries are reporters, not referees - they simply describe current usage.

You feel that we are now past the point where the original meaning of wireless is relevant, and I do not. That's OK, the discussion has been fun!

CERTAINLY more fun than this:

"My wireless AI computer has NEVER failed me!"

"You are wrong, my wireless computer is terrible"

"No, YOU are wrong"

No, YOU are!"

---------- Post added February 21st, 2014 at 09:47 AM ----------

The term wireless does not mean that something formerly done by wire is now done differently. It simply means that there are no wires. Nothing else.

Interesting linguistic point. So by that logic, you would use the term "wireless" to refer to a brass and glass SPG?

Interesting linguistic point. So by that logic, you would use the term "wireless" to refer to a brass and glass SPG?

Oh good god DrMike, you put it to bed. Then you stirred the pot! :)

Must be a quiet day at the office ? BTW, swing over to the sudafed thread - I called for some doctorly advice!

Mick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom