It's just a matter of trust...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug said...
No Zept I don't recommend diving wet with steel.... and I think you know that.

jhelmuth you could get an Aluminum plate and carry the additional weight as ditchable.... though you are not carrying ditchable now it might not be a bad idea.

Sure, I know that. But jhelmuth might not realise that what you said was not what you meant :wink:.

Zept

Thank you all for your consideration and information. I thought you all may wish to know the status on what I have done.

First off, I've tried out the "Balance" BC, and it was terrific. Easy to use, very un-encumbering and moves through the water much easier than the jacket style "Pro QC" we've been training on. I ordered one from my instructor (to set things straight - he's the manager - not the owner). I don't have a way to "try out" the Halcyon with out making a real side-by-side comparison. I just don't have the experience (I think) to tell without doing this side-by-side. So - I kinda like the idea of doing a trial comparison in the LDS pool (any thoughts on that?). I'm pretty sure that I can get my instructor to let me try it (if he has a setup that will fit me).

Bye-the-way... I did the first part of our OW check-out dives today (Lake Denton in south-central FLA). Kooooollll! No matter what, this is really a great way to spend time (and money). Right now I'm very anxious to get to next weekend so I can finish the OW requirements (going out in the Gulf) and I may get to use some (maybe all) of the new gear I've bought (assuming I get time to test it out in the pool to be familiar with it and be sure I like it and can use it properly).:D

I have an older SQ Balance, with the old style velcro latching integrated weight pockets. I purchased it back in '98 and have enjoyed it very much. My buddies gave me a lot of crap about buying that instead of a more expensive Zeagle Ranger. It is very, very comfortable to dive with, even with no protection suit and I've used it for both California (cold for me) and tropical (warm) diving. However, before I purchased my BC, I was first counseled by my buddies (1 instructor and 3 dive masters) to get my own reg. and computer. They said to get a good one and take care of it. You can rent BC's, wet suits, tanks and weight belts, but you want to have your own Reg that you know, service and trust. Just a recommendation I will pass on.

Now, if I had it to do over again..... As much as I like my SQ Balance, (aside from the velcro integrated weight system) I would look more closely at one of the interchangeable BP/W systems. I was looking at the Dive Rite's trans pac earlier today in fact. When I dove in the bahamas, being in just a 3/2 mil wet suit, I didn't need much weight or as big a BC bladder as I had. When I dive in California, I am maxed out for places to put weights in my integrated system and wished I had a steel tank instead of an AL80 so I could offload 10 lbs or so.

Having your instructor / shop owner pushing a 5 year old "new" SQ Balance isn't a bad thing as long as he is giving you a whale of a deal. If he isn't, I wouldn't even consider it. Don't be shortsighted and get something that will get you by for now but inadequate in the future. :no

I don't dive nearly as often as most of the people that chat on this board, but I know my equipment really well and know how to set it up and trust that it will work.

Whatever you get, make sure that it is comfortable for the type of diving you want to do.

well if you wanna be DIR and do GUE you will have to have backplate at least to even start GUE classes

Too bad dive manufacturers don't have demo days at regional dive sites like they have for snow skis and snow boards. It would be great to test dive 2 or 3 different types of gear to know what you might actually prefer. Very few LDS's carry a variety of rental gear for customers to try before they buy. There are so many threads asking for opinions on gear. What suits other divers doesn't suit every diver. Kind of like travel. What I like may not be enough to make everyone else happy.

I have a feeling none of our comments are going to matter to the OP, who posted this five years ago . . .

Do people ever read the dates on threads anymore?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom