It's just a matter of trust...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK - I'm a newbie (haven't yet got the C-card) - but I will be doing my open water next week and will be countin the days).

My question is simple - how much do you trust the LDS manager when he is your instructor?

Example: My instructor (the LDS manager) is outstanding! He is very knowledgable and has the years and dives to back it up. I trust him a great deal - but I got the feeling that he may not be totally honest with me because he seemed to be contradicting many of this boards users who have used a BP and wing as a rec diver for the pure enjoyment of it. He's recommending that I buy the Seaquest "Balance" over the Halcyon MC with a pioneer wing. I have not pushed him to see if he will provide me with a tech unit from Halcyon - but I'd guess he could easliy do so if he wanted. He stocks quite a bit of Seaquest BC's - but he is NOT reccomending that I take one of those in stock, but to buy a new 2003 model with the nwest QR weight pockets. He admits that the wing is more efficent (and price is about the same) - but he claims that the performance difference is not significant enough and that I should still buy the SQ product because it is not a techie product. The only thing that bothers me are the number of very positive posts on this board saying what a great setup the BP and winmg are to the alternative typical weight integrated BC, and I want to DIR dive.

Is he correct in making this recomendation? Would this be the better way to go for a newbie like myself (I have no issues with my performance in the water - my weight (6lbs wet) and breathing are very good to excellent and am improving these all the time)?

Any comments, suggestions, challenges?

Just curious because a lot of the shops I know will stick to selling you whatever they have in stock or can get easily. If your shop is not a dealer for any of the companies that make bp/wings, they may be influencing your decision to make a sale.

The cost of a scuba class is minimal compared to the cost of gear. O ring is probably right. The LDS didnt get rich from your class cost, but it does stand to make money on your gear purchases. If the LDS doesnt sell the BP/ wing then he is most likely pointing you in the direction of the products he is selling.

All i can say is that if i could do it all over again, i wouldnt have wasted money on a jacket style BC from the start. Stick to your guns on what you want. Dont get it elsewhere uinless he doesnt want to accquire it for you.

Andy

Do your best not to burn any bridges whenever possible

My first rig I bought Ex rental for $500 the lot.

Still have it and it is a great set-up my mates use when they are in town, as they dont get to dive that much out a home in the Aussie OutBack.

My advice dont spend $$$$ on gear when you first start out, get yourself a nice Ex Rental kit. Save your money and go diving with it for 12 months,see if it a sport you are going to stick with. Then when you know the type of diving you are doing and the direction you want to take your diving go spend the big bucks on the best damn gear you can afford for the diving you are planning on doing.

jhelmuth,
heed sydney-divers words. since u havent even finished your course, first check it out and see if u actually have a long-term interest in the sport. the euphoria may wear off, or in my case- never!
my point is: take your time when choosing gear. i am on 200 dives and have only recently DIY'ed a Backplate and wings.
u may find that DIR is not for you.
BP/wings/halcyon a DIR diver doth not make.
i reckon decide what kind of diving you wish to be doing in say 2 - 3 years. do your course and do some fun dives and then take stock. the balance could be just what u need... on the other hand the halcyon could be the answer to your dreams.
Jim of the sea

Uncle Pug advised...
..tell him you want the Halcyon 36# Pioneer wing, Halcyon SS plate, storage pack, harness, cambands, ect. and you want to buy it from him.

The SS plate weighs 6.02lb with straps.

jhelmeth is currently diving wet with 6lb of weight.

Are you going to recommend steel tanks as well?

jhelmeth, you'll get better advice if you tell people where you'll be diving (temperate or tropical), what you expect to wear (wetsuit thickness or drysuit type) and what type of diving you hope to do (rec, tech or a mixture). Also, have you asked your instructor why he prefers the Balance?

Zept

Both rigs are great for rec. diving. Like other have said don't rush out and make a decision. Dive for awhile and see if you can try both out. See what you like better and decide what direction your diving is going to take. If you are going to be rec. forever then you can't go wrong either way but if you want to get more tech in the future the Balance won't get you there. I loved my Balance but my diving outgrew it.

Good luck.

Chad

I'd put buying a BC somewhere near the bottom of the list of things to buy. If you can get a good deal on a second hand one or rent for a while then you will get a better idea of what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom