It's just a matter of trust...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all - thank you all for your input. I do think the LDS manager (my instructor) can get the Halycon BC for me if he wants to (even though there are none on his displays). He had Halycon sales materials that he brought out durring our discussion on the merits of both. Overall, I got the sense that he has an aversion of selling technical equipment to newbie rec divers because he mentioned that he finds many instances of sport divers wnating technical looking gear because its cool - not necess. the right choice. He only knows me from class and he is also not too eager to sell me gear until I have tried it out and am more comfortable with my skills in the water (sounds like good advice inspite of my dying need to drop a couple of $K on new gear). My goal is to DoItRight the first time + maximize my bottom time by using quality performance gear that does not put me at undue risk, will minimize the effort, and help me improve my skills. I'm pretty certain that I can acheive these goals regardless of which choice I make in either BC (both are back-flotaion types).

Where I will spend my time diving:
>>> Warm Gulf and Carribean waters...
> Off the coast of St Pete FL (home) in the Gulf 10-12 dives per year
> Down in the FLA Keys 8-10 dives per year
> Nassau,Caymens,San Salvador (you get the idea?) 10 - 12 dives per year

My current classroom setup is:
> LP Steel 80 tank w/ MK25/S250 reg and Oceanic octo
> Seaquest Pro QD jacket BC
> TUSA fins/mask/snorkel (platina) - mine
> Oceanic console with computer
> 2mm Shortie - mine
> 6lbs lead centered (non-ditchable)

What I think I want:
> (will rent tanks) w/ MK25/S600 reg (DIN) and Sherwood octo
> Halycon MC Pioneer using 27-36# wing
- or -
> Seaquest Balance (37# lift) back floatation BC (not a jacket)
> TUSA fins/mask/snorkel (platina) - mine
> Uwatec Smart COM AI computer
> 2mm Shortie / 3/2mm jumper / polartech jumper
> lead weights to trim as required

The only disagreement (and that is probably a bit strongly put) my instructor and I have is with the BC (as stated earlier). I really don't know for sure which will be better unless I try them both out. He and another diver in the LDS dive these but only in technical dives (according to him). My point (analogy) is that a man may buy a Porche or BMW and only drive it to work - but that doesn't make it the wrong car for him (clearly he may not really use it for its full capabilities).

If your mind is made up to go DIR, you'll need a back plate and wings instead of a vest.

OTOH, your instructor is correct, you don't need to go DIR.

OTOH, going DIR or not is totally your choice.

I would decide on my gear configuration based on my thoughts about the reasons for each piece of gear. I would listen to everyone's opinions (here and your instructor) then I would evaluate everything and make up my own mind. Don't follow anyone blindly. Understand why you choose everything. DIR is one great choice, there are others.

Am I daft?

I thought DIR stood for Do It Right.

Please clarify if this is not the case

jhelmuth once bubbled...
Am I daft?

I thought DIR stood for Do It Right.

Please clarify if this is not the case

Between attempting to do things correctly

and

the philosophy published/taught by Global Underwater Explorers as "Doing It Right".

OK. So I didn't misunderstand what DIR meant. I think I was not clear in my original post, because Walter (it seemed to me anyway) thought my instructor didn't encourage DIR diving. On the contrary. What is interesting is that DIR can't be a science because it is so induvidualistic in nature. Sure - there seem to be reasonable tennents that apply to both the general and specific needs - but in the end, it has a personal twist for the individual.

Agree?

You are confusing DIR (Doing It Right) with doing it right. DIR is a philosophy which includes a particular gear configuration. There are those who believe DIR is the only way to do it right. IMHO, they are mistaken. There are many ways of doing it right, DIR is merely one of them. Neither DIR or doing it right are science, it is opinion.

In my opinion as an instructor and an lds owner...being an instructor and a dealer for any of the big name equipment manufacturers is a direct conflict of interest. My advice talks divers out of more sales than into them. I am also going broke. My students sure can dive though!

I have rental bc's and rental bp/wings. Students who try the bp/wing never want to go back. The bp/wing makes my job easier. By easier I mean it takes less time and work to get the correctly trimmed and stable in the water.

Aside from equipment...If at the end of your class you do not find yourself hovering in a horizantal position without a change in depth anytime you stop kicking, suggest to your instructor that maybe the class isn't over. If your class leavs a trail of silt, ask the instructor for an explanation. Once you have this done buy whatever equipment makes this easier for you.

Walter is correct but it goes further than that... the D.I.R philosophy varies depending on where you find it:

WKPP - doing it right first coined to describe the standardized equipment and proceedures used by this group as the only acceptable way to accomplish their mission.

GUE - training agency that certifies technical and cave divers all over the world using principles closely modeled after WKPP DIR.

Internet - those who read about it on the internet.

But be that as it may....

No Zept I don't recommend diving wet with steel.... and I think you know that.

jhelmuth you could get an Aluminum plate and carry the additional weight as ditchable.... though you are not carrying ditchable now it might not be a bad idea.

Since you are warm water exclusively then the 27# wing should suffice... but the 36# will have a wider market if you decide to sell it later. But you won't because these rigs are excellent for recreational diving and you will like it.

NOW.... this is why I suggest you go with Halcyon to start with... resale on Halcyon stuff is very high and it is very easy to sell should you decide that you really want the Seaquest Balance later.

The opposite is not the case.

If you want to try the bp/wing you can buy them from Extreme Exposure and use it for 30 days, if no likee, send it back and you are only out the shipping fees. Details on the site.

There is an inherent confilct of interest in dive shops and training and gear, can you imagine buying a used car from your driving instructor, or going to a used car lot for driving instruction? Same deal.

The owner may be telling you what he honestly believes, I don't know, but the bp/wings makes a fine rec bc, hands down. The big deal is that if you ever want to pursue doubles or tech down the road, there is very little to change, you just add on some parts and you got it.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom