It's enough to make you cry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By all means, check out the links on NOAA. Yup, they're pretty much the grand masters of climate data collection, and they do, indeed, indicate we have a problem.

From a scientist's point of view, though, this isn't "alarmist". If you see a person who is looking behind them and you see they're going to run into a doorframe, are you being an alarmist for saying "uh, you might want to look where you're going"? No, it would be alarmist to scream, "Oh MY GOD! YOU"RE GOING TO DIE!"
People who point our the global warming trends aren't necessarily saying we're all going to perish. But the world as we know it will change. One of those changes very well might be that the reefs we know and love could dramatically shrink and, in some cases, disappear. Has it happened in the past? Of course. History is full of mass extinctions, with many different causes.
Certainly, many of these mass extinctions took hundreds of thousands of years to take place. That's why it is rather unsettling when we see very rapid changes such as the ones we are witnessing in the Caribbean.
As for the politics of the matter...as I said before, I'm a scientist. I'll leave the intricacies of partisanship to others.

By all means, check out the links on NOAA. Yup, they're pretty much the grand masters of climate data collection, and they do, indeed, indicate we have a problem.

From a scientist's point of view, though, this isn't "alarmist". If you see a person who is looking behind them and you see they're going to run into a doorframe, are you being an alarmist for saying "uh, you might want to look where you're going"? No, it would be alarmist to scream, "Oh MY GOD! YOU"RE GOING TO DIE!"
People who point our the global warming trends aren't necessarily saying we're all going to perish. But the world as we know it will change. One of those changes very well might be that the reefs we know and love could dramatically shrink and, in some cases, disappear. Has it happened in the past? Of course. History is full of mass extinctions, with many different causes.
Certainly, many of these mass extinctions took hundreds of thousands of years to take place. That's why it is rather unsettling when we see very rapid changes such as the ones we are witnessing in the Caribbean.
As for the politics of the matter...as I said before, I'm a scientist. I'll leave the intricacies of partisanship to others.

Sorry about the double entry...my computer hiccuped.

Message to all IT IS A FACT THAT GLOBAL WARMING HAS BEEN OCCURING FOR AT THE VERY LEAST THE LAST 20 THOUSAND YEARS...embrace this simple fact and understand you can not control it. It is occuring and will all the way up to the beginning of the next ice age (major or mini) ...If we are significantly contributing to GW then we are only hastening the return of the next ice age...When the North Atlantic Conveyor stops it's track to the North Sea and there is evidence that it is moving south then the earth will slip into its next ice age.

Incedently ....I AM NOT ICE CERTIFIED AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO DO SO ...in the event that the next ice age does occur in my life time do to all you folks flying to Cozimel .. you will have heck to pay because I moved from Erie Pa to San Diego to escape the cold ....I like warming ...even if it does wipe out several million people living in coastal regions

Guba:

Ahhh there is plenty of evidence that many extinctions happened in rather short order ... major catistrophic events ... just a thought!!

There is only one fact. Depending on which learned scholar you ask, global warming is indisputable fact, caused by man, and we will all die a horrible death because of our greedy natures. (The US being the worst by the way) OR,, it's a bunch of crap, made up by nuts that wish to keep their grant money in fluid motion. Choose up your sides boys.

dbg40:
There is only one fact. Depending on which learned scholar you ask, global warming is indisputable fact, caused by man, and we will all die a horrible death because of our greedy natures. (The US being the worst by the way) OR,, it's a bunch of crap, made up by nuts that wish to keep their grant money in fluid motion. Choose up your sides boys.

So it was man who hastened the end of the last ice age?????

Oh, absolutely, Skull. The earth's history is rife with fairly rapid onsets of extinctions. That's what seperates the major time frames (Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic, etc...). Some changes are extremely dynamic. Others take a bit longer.
As for my "side", dbg40...I always choose the side of truth, where ever it might lead. That's why I like science. Those who are true scientists collect data, observe, and follow the evidence to whatever destination it leads.

You know folks it is kind of like knocking your head against the wall talking to anti-global warming people. If someone is unwilling to change their mind in the face of overwhelming evidence, there is no point in argueing. They will continue to use questionable sources to backup their claims, one of the sad facts of the internet is that anyone can post anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom