It's enough to make you cry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar:
I do not own a suv, never will, never have. I do ride a bicycle, I have 4 of them. My wife rides a bike, she has three. My daughter rides a bike, she has two. My father and mother rode bikes. Don't blame my family.
So are your 4,3,2 bikes made out of organic, replenishable material? :mrcool:

If you look at temperature trends since the last ice age you will see that we are actually cooler now than at about 6,000 years ago. The temperature charts are actually very interesting and nothing that is happening now is unusual. Civilizations, species and on and on have come and gone due to climate change long before humans had the ability to affect it. All this alarmist stuff is not helping us understand the process of climate change. Here is some news, we live in one of the most stable climate periods in earths history--that itself is unusual, yeah, the climate is changing like it has for the last 4.5 billion years. We humans do play a role now and we do need to address that and understand how we affect climate so as to be responsible stewards of our home. N

I'm not an expert diver...I AM a scientist, and one who collects data on coral reefs. (Not just on the internet...I accompany science diver teams in the FGBNMS and assist with data collection.) Some fairly random thoughts, all borne out by the data that has been collected.
1) Fifteen years ago, it was a debate as to whether global warming was actually occurring. Now, the debate is settled. Global warming is, indeed, a fact. Now the only real debates center around its exact cause and what can be done.
2) It in unquestionable as to whether humans are having an effect on global warming. We are. Each of our carbon fingerprints (or the amount of carbon dioxide we are responsible for producing) is cumulatively contributing to the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. It's not so much that each individual contributes so much, but there are just getting to be a lot of us, to the tune of 150,000 more per day. In addition, more of the world's population is starting to use more hydrocarbons than they once did. It all adds up.
3) There can be no question that the warmer oceans are contributing to the degradation of the world's coral populations. They just have a very narrow window of temperature tolerance. That does not bode well for the little critters.
4) It may, in a sense, be a "natural" occurrence...i.e. that when greenhouse gases build up, there will be effects. It has, as a matter of fact, happened many times in earth's history, as at least one person noted above. What happened to the coral? In short, many of them went extinct. Others were decimated to very small enclaves of hearty survivors that rebuilt coral populations in the thousands of years since. It usually was NOT conducive to the healthy populations we are used to.
No question about it, the earth is a dynamic system. The one constant is change. Now, the questions are about "how much" and "how quickly". If we love the oceans as we say we do, then we should be able to make a difference. Part of that is in communicating what we see and know to the world at large. Thankfully, this board is and can be a part of that process. Depends on us.

dlndavid:
So are your 4,3,2 bikes made out of organic, replenishable material? :mrcool:
No way, are you nut's. They were cranked out from dirty factories cranking out air, ground, and water pollution. The coffee I drink was organiclly grown, transported to my grocery store by a deisel burning air polluting truck.

Supernal:
I don't travel to the tropics.

I was conveying the message to all who do travel to go diving not you in particular...

To all convinced that GW is man made then stop contributing to the problem. Stop driving, flying and burning fossil fuels its really that simple...

Guba:
1) Fifteen years ago, it was a debate as to whether global warming was actually occurring. Now, the debate is settled. Global warming is, indeed, a fact. Now the only real debates center around its exact cause and what can be done..

And 30 years ago they said that global cooling was going to wreak havoc on the earth. Your statement of "Global warming is, indeed, fact" is disputed by as many scientists as it is supported; so no, it is not "fact".

Guba:
2) It in unquestionable

Guba:
3) There can be no question

Guba:
4) ... No question about it,

See a pattern developing there?

Guba:
the earth is a dynamic system. The one constant is change.

Here's something for you to think about. Most of the environmentalist movements are run by lawyers. Over time they have pushed out the true "conservationists" and become alarmist organizations so they could garner more support (which is slang for "get more money") so they didn't have to get real jobs. The same organizations are usually sponsoring the "research" done by scientists though that is rarely, if ever, disclosed. There is also very little, if any, peer review for global climate reviews so whatever is printed is now gospel.

Skull:
To all convinced that GW is man made then stop contributing to the problem. Stop driving, flying and burning fossil fuels its really that simple...

while i don't agree with Skull's attitude, his message is correct

in order to stop global warming (assuming we can) will require a drastic
change in lifestyle, not just band-aids.

i honestly don't think we will make those changes until they are forced upon us.

it's already too late anyway. the dominos have started collapsing, and we can't
stop them now.

just hang on for the ride, and buy property at least 300 feet above seal level.

1RUSTYRIG:
Your statement of "Global warming is, indeed, fact" is disputed by as many scientists as it is supported; so no, it is not "fact".

not true. no reputable scientist believes global warming is fiction.

it's happening. there's no doubt about it.

H2Andy:

Are you saying because they disagree they are no longer reputable? There have been plenty of studies done to show that the ice sheets are still expanding, global temperatures are no warmer now than 100 years ago, and so on and so forth.

H2Andy:
while i don't agree with Skull's attitude, his message is correct

in order to stop global warming (assuming we can) will require a drastic
change in lifestyle, not just band-aids.

i honestly don't think we will make those changes until they are forced upon us.

it's already too late anyway. the dominos have started collapsing, and we can't
stop them now.

just hang on for the ride, and buy property at least 300 feet above seal level.

Fact is GW has indeed been occuring since the last Ice Age ...proof ? the great lakes a clear reminder of what huge sheets of ice can to to the earths outer crust ...

Also realistically China is burning so much coal the earth doesn't stand a chance of cleansing the CO2 from the atmosphere ... up side plants will trive and we can start chopping down trees again .....just kidding of course..

BTW Ilive ~ 300 ft above the Pac Ocean in So Cal .... does that mean I can refi my house under the understanding that it will be beach front property in 75 yrs ...provided of course it doesn't slip into the ocean during the next earthquake ( ironic -eh?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom