isolator open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dennisgrimm once bubbled...
Maybe my inexperience shows in what I am doing.

You're essentially a noob with a very limited experience base who is making critical value judgements about gear configurations and operational techniques for advanced diving...and from what you've posted, you're selecting inferior options at every opportunity.

Way to kick the new guy in the Penis!!!!

Right on!!!

Seriously, at least he's asking the right questions (And asking the right people :))

heheheh

Don't fret it Dennis.

cyklon_300 once bubbled...

You're essentially a noob with a very limited experience base who is making critical value judgements about gear configurations and operational techniques for advanced diving...and from what you've posted, you're selecting inferior options at every opportunity. [/B]

Only an advanced noob would make a statement like this about a noob.

cyklon_300:
I know I am a noob. I had a feeling that I wasn't doing things the best way possible. That is why I posted. I also posted why I was doing things the way I did. That way people could argue about why what I was doing was wrong, instead of just saying "you're selecting inferior options at every opportunity." That way I can understand what I am doing instead of blindly following the pack. Now... do you have any insight into having my isolator open, slightly open, or closed, which hasn't yet been said yet? Or maybe you want to say something about swimming away from panicky divers? That hasn't really been settled yet (in my mind). Add your insight... =-)

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
Maybe my inexperience shows in what I am doing.

You're essentially a noob with a very limited experience base who is making critical value judgements about gear configurations and operational techniques for advanced diving...and from what you've posted, you're selecting inferior options at every opportunity.

Well......

Here is proof positive that not everyone is made for teaching. :rolleyes:

Having said that, Dennis, he's right. You need to get someone with real experience to show you how to use that stuff. You're trying to logic things out with a pretty limited base of knowledge and experience and it could end up costing you (or you buddy) your a*s. Also, with all due repect, cyber-divers don't know everything either. You need a teacher, not an opinion.

Why don't you start by contacting Aquatech, Radagalf and Bwerb. They're all pretty connected divers from Vancouver who follow scubaboard. You can PM them via your private messages function or call the 'international diving centre' (it's a shop) at (604) 736-2541 and get connected with Royce, Doug and Martin, who can probably give you a hand taking the next step. PADI doesn't have a specialty for what you're trying to do but these guys can at least give you some relevant advice and set you up to do a few guided dives with a DM with doubles experience.

And a question for you. Did your instructor really teach you to swim away from a diver in distress?

R..

DeepScuba once bubbled...

Not really. You wouldn't notice any breathing difference since (assuming your tank valve was full open) you don't have a restriction into your first stage, so the full tank pressure with ample flow capability would be present to your regs.

I was not referring to breathing, but to the "leveling" of both tank's pressure....

If it's just a question of lag ;-)

But still, I wonder what that lag would be at 10 ATA (just to have a bit more ATA ;-) ) Worth digging....

Sorry, didn't mean to be a sniper (and noob is not an insult, everyone was once one)...my point, however feebly offered, was that you seem to be on extremely aggressive learning curve and are doing it without an adequate depth of experience. You're making choices that you might not necessarily make if you had more time in the water and had more contact with others doing the type of diving you're attempting to do. Ok, so that's why you're asking here...as far as commenting on some of the specifics you've mentioned...

I agree with those that advised you to adopt the open iso method, so I won't rehash their arguments. Swimming away from a panicked diver can only increase their level of distress...immediately offering them the long hose with the reg you're presently breathing would do a lot towards getting the situation under control. It's immediately available and you both know it's functioning.

Perhaps, with more experience, you won't feel uncomfortable donating the primary and going to a bungied backup below your chin. With a little practice, this maneuver can easily become second nature. And it eliminates having to rely on someone else to stow the 7' hose after deployment.

It's good your questioning your options. My apologies for coming off so brusquely...

cyklon_300:
Not a problem man. I figured you hadn't meant to insult anyone.

Diver0001:
Yeah, I was taught to back away from a panicky diver while offering my octo.

I have just finished reconfiguring my gear to breathe off of the long hose, have a safe second under my chin, and isolator slightly open. I will give it a try the next time I go diving. I was able to remove my 2nd SPG, and 2nd second stage and simplify my system.

Thanks everyone for the input. I learned a lot, and hopefully so did other people who read this post and may read it in the future so they don't make the same mistakes as me. :D

cyklon_300:
<snip>

Diver0001:
Yeah, I was taught to back away from a panicky diver while offering my octo.

<snip>

Why?

R..

So he doesn't jump me and take my primary. In retrospect, that isn't such a big deal if you are already offering you primary eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom