Question Is there diving in Sydney?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Sydney for a couple of days next April before boarding a transpacific cruise and I'd like to dive locally in Sydney. Is there diving in Sydney and how cold is the water? Any dive operator recommendations or tips about diving Sydney is welcomed. Thanks!

Dive Centre Manly also has a boat and Dive Centre Bondi has a great community around the shop. I got my fill in the nine months I was there.

Remember that April will be transitioning to winter, and the water there isn't exactly warm to begin with. If you're renting gear, Saturday mornings suck less than Sunday morning as you're likely putting on a dry 7mm instead of a cold, wet 7mm. Bring gloves and a hood.

Tonnes of diving.
Water temp in April is about 20-22 degrees metric.

Pro Dive, Sydney Dive Charters you can just book and turn up to the dive site/boat ramp, they'll have all the equipment there and ready.
Dive Centre Manly, Dive Centre Bondi you'll meet at the shop and they'll take you to the dive site.

Other dive shops will want you to pick up gear including tanks from the shop first then head to the site/wharf. I mention this because it can be problematic if you don't have your own transport. Maybe you can bum a lift off someone else headed to the site, but I tend not to rely on that.

Ha ha, funniest question I have ever heard. Sydney has the best diving of any major city in the world I reckon, I cannot think of another 5 million plus population that has so much and varied diving. Water in April is still quite warm normally. You need at least a 5 mm all year round.

Look at my website: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site for more information.

Hi,

There is lots of diving in Sydney. Anything from shore dives to boat dives and wrecks. I've always dived with ProDive in Coogee, but they have many branches.
No longer at Coogee and the only one left in NSW I think. EDIT: Oops, forgot about Pro Dive Central Coast and did not know there was a dive shop at Brookvale, also Pro Dive.

Ha ha, funniest question I have ever heard. Sydney has the best diving of any major city in the world I reckon, I cannot think of another 5 million plus population that has so much and varied diving.
I think it’s a great question. Many of us ignorant visitors immediately head north without considering Sydney.

No longer at Coogee and the only one left in NSW I think.

There are 2 locations, both under the general umbrella of Pro Dive Sydney:
Pro Dive Alexandria (previously Coogee) - shore dives/courses south of the harbour, usually Gordons Bay and Bare Island
Pro Dive Brookvale (previously Manly) - shore dives/courses north of the harbour, usually Shelly Beach and Freshwater

There's also an additional franchise in the Central Coast that does dives on the Ex-HMAS Adelaide.

Ha ha, funniest question I have ever heard. Sydney has the best diving of any major city in the world I reckon, I cannot think of another 5 million plus population that has so much and varied diving. Water in April is still quite warm normally. You need at least a 5 mm all year round.

Look at my website: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site for more information.
Yeah, I thought I might get a chuckle from some of the Aussies. We Americans tend to think first of the Great Barrier Reef. I'm looking for a dive shop in Sydney that's an Uber ride away, preferably a boat dive, and I will rent some gear. I just want to show up and dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom