Is there a LDS in Dallas that stocks BP/W equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, bp/w's haven't really become that popular with recreational divers contrary to what you read on ScubaBoard. If you are really tall, a std 15" plate probably won't be long enough for you. I'm 6'5" and I dive a 16" Koplin plate and I could probably use a 17" plate (there is one guy I know who will custom build them but haven't gotten around to ordering one yet). If you are under 6'2", a std plate is probably just fine so my guess is the guy had it too high on your back. The plate should sit so you can just touch it by reaching your hand over your shoulder.

Here's some good images of how a harness should fit: http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html

Here's some very good instructions on how to rig a harness:
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

If you've decided a bp/w isn't for you some comperable minimalist systems include things like the DiveRite Transpac. Several companies make similar products such as OMS, Oxycheq - pretty much anyone who makes wings has something.

By the way, I don't know what Rick is talking about, I dive a bp/w with nothing but a t-shirt. You really don't notice it in the water.

loosebits:
Here's some good images of how a harness should fit: http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html

Yep, I would need a bigger plate. I could touch the top of the plate reaching over my shoulder, but it was no where near my belt line at the bottom. More like right at the bottom of my rib cage.

I have a buddy at work who is 6'5" and around my weight. Maybe I can get him to let me try his on one day so I can see what a proper fitting one will feel like. I went back and tried on my Brigade last night and readjusted it a bit and man it really fits me well. Yeah its bulky by comparison, but for what I am doing it might make the most sense. Thanks again.

Yep, if you've got something that works for you now, no reason blowing money on something else. A bp/w will have certain advantages for single tank diving (100% customizable, modular system, etc) but without some faily expensive accessories from Zeagle or Halcyon it also has some disadvantages such a no integrated weights. When I'm lake diving singles this isn't an issue since I dive a LP98 and I don't need any weight but when I'm reef diving, I usually need 4 - 6# of lead with an AL80. That either means a weight belt or I use my DUI Weight Harness (I usually just go with the weight belt because I don't want to mess with the harness - got it when I was diving single tanks with a drysuit). Of course 95% of my diving now is steel doubles so weights aren't an issue. I was recently cave diving in Akumal and all they have down there is double 80's (which considering how shallow the caves are there, that's plenty of gas) and I ended up using what I think was 6# of v-weights (they weren't marked). These are chunks of lead with a triangular cross section that sit in the gap between the tanks. I didn't want to use a std weight belt because I didn't want the weight on my hips to screw up my trim.

Btw, if that photo in your profile is of you, excellent trim you have there, especially for someone with less than 50 dives.

The waist strap does ride a good bit higher than on a BC. I've got a Halcyon Pioneer and the strap is up around my belly button. I really don't notice it anymore. Besides it's not the couple of minutes I spend out of the water with it on that matter. I'd take Larry up on his offer and try it out in his pool. That's where the BP/W shines - in the water.

I dropped 6 lbs. from my weight belt. I think Firefyter dropped around the same. He's using the Zeagle BP with the Zeagle wing from his old BC. I'm not sure, but I think it's the Brigade. So there are some out of water advantages.

Of course if you're trying to justify spending the money it's going to be a hard sell.

Texass:
The waist strap does ride a good bit higher than on a BC. I've got a Halcyon Pioneer and the strap is up around my belly button. I really don't notice it anymore.

Hmm, it really should be lower than that so you don't push against it with a from-the-diaphragm inhalation. You using a crotch strap? It might help pull it a little lower on you.

Texass:
The waist strap does ride a good bit higher than on a BC. I've got a Halcyon Pioneer and the strap is up around my belly button. I really don't notice it anymore. Besides it's not the couple of minutes I spend out of the water with it on that matter. I'd take Larry up on his offer and try it out in his pool. That's where the BP/W shines - in the water.

My waist strap rides a little lower than that, it's actually right at my waist. I totally agree with the rest of this. It's not uncomfortable at all out of the water, but it really shines in the water. I know they're not for everybody, but it's the best thing I've ever done. Definitely take Larry up on the offer, that way you'll know if it's for you without relying on other's opinions.

Texass:
I dropped 6 lbs. from my weight belt. I think Firefyter dropped around the same. He's using the Zeagle BP with the Zeagle wing from his old BC. I'm not sure, but I think it's the Brigade. So there are some out of water advantages.

I dropped 6 lbs. as well, and yes, I'm using the bladder from the Brigade. With the kit from Zeagle, it bolted right on with no problems. That's one thing I really like about the Zeagle BP. It's set up to where you can use their bladder if you already have one, and it's drilled to take most any other bladder if you decide to change it. Since I already had the bladder and tank bands, it was a pretty cheap conversion, and worth every penny to me.

Take Larry up on his offer to try one out, and make your decision from there.

I use a halcyon pioneer I believe with the stainless steel bp and the wgt pockets I like it very much and even tho I still only dive single al80 mostly it woorks for me just need to add trim wgts some day but all in all I think it is a good rig even with the crotch strap(lol)

Hmm, maybe I wear my pants lower than y'all do. With the top of my plate at the 2nd knob on my neck, there's no way the waist strap is down where I buckle my jeans. It's not anywhere near my diaphragm either, though. The top of the waist strap is right at my belly button - pretty much the same as the guy in Loosebits 1st link.

Jarrett:
Alan, does Debra have some there? I didn't see any last time I was in. If so, I will definitely swing by. I just want to try one on and check it out to see if I would be interested in getting it.

I stock them sometimes. Over the past few years we have not had much of a calling for them. If I have a backplate, it is in a box and I don't normally set them up. We do a lot of special orders on the tech gear because I am just not that proficient in it yet and I am operating on a faster than expected learning curve. Tech gear is a small market in this area and you will find many different opinions and views of what "tech" is and isn't as well as gear configurations. I do however have a couple people on staff who are more than willing to help me out when it comes to this area and we do require appointments to have a personal gear consulation with them. It avoids the pitfall of dealing with someone who knows little or nothing about the setup and can not fully asess your needs. Jarrett you know me personally and you know that I will not steer you into anything you are not ready for. I will also not charge you the prices that you are seeing out there and that are mentioned in this thread.

loosebits:
Btw, if that photo in your profile is of you, excellent trim you have there, especially for someone with less than 50 dives.

Thanks! Yes, that was from a recent trip to Cozumel. Can't wait to get back down there...

Thanks for everyone who responded.

Debraw:
Jarrett you know me personally and you know that I will not steer you into anything you are not ready for. I will also not charge you the prices that you are seeing out there and that are mentioned in this thread.

Yes I do. Thank you so much for all you do for me and family. I really appreciate all the advice you have given us.

It's very cool that we have so many people this passionate about scuba in this area.

Back
Top Bottom