Is there a LDS in Dallas that stocks BP/W equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
Alan, does Debra have some there? I didn't see any last time I was in. If so, I will definitely swing by. I just want to try one on and check it out to see if I would be interested in getting it.

Jarrett... give Debra a ring on Monday,,,she is always getting new stock in,,,,she has quite a selection now. Have you looked at a Zeagle Tech,,,,may be the answer,,just a thought.

texdiveguy:
Jarrett... give Debra a ring on Monday,,,she is always getting new stock in,,,,she has quite a selection now. Have you looked at a Zeagle Tech,,,,may be the answer,,just a thought.

Opinions differ, and mine differs here, the zeagle tech will cost you big bucks for something you don't need, it has a massive 60+ pound bladder which is beyond overkill especially for a single tank, and I can tell you a zeagle is nothing like a BP/W setup, well they are both "back inflate" but that is where the common traits end.

I do like zeagle BC's if I were to ever go back to a standard BC it would be a zeagle, I had the ranger with the 45 lb bladder and even the 45lbs bladder was to much for a single tank, I dove double AL 80's on it and I didn't like it, I didn't know how bad I didn't like it for doubles until I switched to BP/W but for singles, I like zeagles, I have friends that dive the Brigade, which is just like a ranger with a bladder sized for a single.

Ok when I see something like the Zeagle Tech, the Dacor Rig II or similar products, I see a company trying to design something that will sell well to the uneducated diver who thinks "tech" (or "tek" or however people are spelling it) is cool.

First of all, it's name is the Zeagle "Tech", that should tell you right there what kind of BC you are getting. Either they are letting the more technical divers know that this is the prefered rig or they are trying to fool the unsuspecting newly carded OW diver that this is what all the "Tek" divers use.

Not only is it named to fool the newly carded diver but it's even designed to fool them. Let's look at some of the key features:

65# of lift. Can anyone in good consence recomend a 65# bladder for anything but heavy double steels with optional stages? I remember when I was first certified (before there were resource like scubaboard to help educate me) I thought more lift was better. That's what Zeagle is counting on, that the newly carded diver will think more is better.

60# weight pocket capacity. See above... of course if you do load up these pockets, you'll need that 65# bladder.

8 D-rings... again more is aparently better. I do what many people would consider "technical" diving so I've got reels, lights and whole bunches of stuff clipped off and I somehow manage to get by with 4 d-rings. Now 8 d-rings aren't going to kill you but it just lets you know what drove their design decisions here - not function but marketing.

Lastly we have no less than 3 straps to buckle you in (with an optional crotch strap I'm sure). Unless there is a small jet engine included in the rig we don't know about, this is just silly and pontentially dangerous (more buckles for the guy saving your life to fool with)/

So as I mentioned, it looks like we have a BC designed to be marketed, not to be dived. I'm sure many people will come back and tell me how they love their Techs or their Rig IIs and that's great but the only reason I can think of for the features I mentioned is marketing.

And my god, the thing's $900 (or at least that's a price I found online)... man that's a a bp, a single tank wing, an STA, a double tank wing and a half way decent computer.

Texass:
Ditto the Scuba Toys. They have the Dive Rite & Zeagle BP/W's. Emerald Sea stocked Halcyon as well as Dive Rite, so ST may have some Halcyons too now that Emerald Sea & Scuba Toys are one & the same.

Really not sure though. I like to shield my wallet from that part of the store. Lately I've been trying to stick to just air fills and the occasional I just can't live without it nick knacks.

Yes indeed... when Mike came over, he brought a lot of his tec stuff - and we've got a plate and wing you can try in the pool if you want to see what it's like.

Well we have heard from 2 Swamp Divers regarding their poorly informed impression of what is a quality built and designed bc, the Zeagle Tech. We are all entitled to oppions-- good or bad....that is why this forum is so succesful. I pers. dive a Zeagle Tech for both sport and tech and find it well suited for both applications. I am pleased with the unit and would recommend it to anyone whom is interested in having a great platform for sport or tech. From single Al80 to St130, to double St85s with slung deco bottles it's performance and strenghts are evident. I wonder just how many dives these fellows have logged in the bc they knock so boldly. There is nothing wrong with diving bp/w configurations,,or anything else beside that, so long as it suits your diving needs. This bc as all units are not intended for everyones tastes. We each have to make that decsion on our own to what gear we use or don't based on true and informative sources. I am sure there are others whom like or dislike the Zeagle Tech,,,,its a free country....I give the unit a strong vote of confidence.

scuba toys also carries the halcyion now that emerald sea merged with them

I just don't know why anyone would recomend it to someone looking for a minimalist system: "I just like the idea of carrying as little as I can into the water with me".

Not sure how the "Tech" is the answer for him - in what sense is it minimalist??. I wouldn't recomend a bp/w for someone who specifically asks for a stab jacket that will match his blue fins - not sure why you would recomend the Tech for someone looking for a bp/w.

Yes, everyone one is entiteled to an opinion but it's not an opinion that a single tank sport diver does not need a 65# air cell - have you ever had that wing fully inflated with a single tank?? I don't think it's an opinion that no one needs 60# of lead carrying capacity - how much have you ever put in there? It's certainly not an opinion that you really don't need three straps to hold you into a BC - I can demonstrate getting by just fine with 1.

On top of all this, the thing is one of the more expensive BC's out there and about twice as much as what he was asking about.

texdiveguy:
Well we have heard from 2 Swamp Divers regarding their poorly informed impression of what is a quality built and designed bc, the Zeagle Tech. We are all entitled to oppions-- good or bad....that is why this forum is so succesful. I pers. dive a Zeagle Tech for both sport and tech and find it well suited for both applications. I am pleased with the unit and would recommend it to anyone whom is interested in having a great platform for sport or tech. From single Al80 to St130, to double St85s with slung deco bottles it's performance and strenghts are evident. I wonder just how many dives these fellows have logged in the bc they knock so boldly. There is nothing wrong with diving bp/w configurations,,or anything else beside that, so long as it suits your diving needs. This bc as all units are not intended for everyones tastes. We each have to make that decsion on our own to what gear we use or don't based on true and informative sources. I am sure there are others whom like or dislike the Zeagle Tech,,,,its a free country....I give the unit a strong vote of confidence.

Poorly informed? Hmmm I've seen the BC's first hand for use with multiple setup, single, doubles, and I've LOGGED over 100 dives in a zeagle BC, I even took a zeagle BC with doubles on it into CAVES. No where did I dispute the quality of construction. The other divers I was around modified their wing because, the zeagle tech did not properly get the job done for a single tank, they had the problems with the bladder size.

Its weakness are also evident

When someone asks about a Back Plate and Wing setup for singles, and to step up and offer up the zeagle tech as a solution, thats someone who does not know how to assemble a streamlined optimized balanced rig, its someone trying to make a sale, OR, they really don't know what the heck they are talking about, or both, if he wanted to know about over sized wings for singles on a back inflate BC, sure offer the zeagle tech.

I've seen your rig, you need all those D rings so for you it might be the right solution, but this guy asked about BPW.

loosebits:
I just don't know why anyone would recomend it to someone looking for a minimalist system: "I just like the idea of carrying as little as I can into the water with me".

Not sure how the "Tech" is the answer for him - in what sense is it minimalist??. I wouldn't recomend a bp/w for someone who specifically asks for a stab jacket that will match his blue fins - not sure why you would recomend the Tech for someone looking for a bp/w.

Yes, everyone one is entiteled to an opinion but it's not an opinion that a single tank sport diver does not need a 65# air cell - have you ever had that wing fully inflated with a single tank?? I don't think it's an opinion that no one needs 60# of lead carrying capacity - how much have you ever put in there? It's certainly not an opinion that you really don't need three straps to hold you into a BC - I can demonstrate getting by just fine with 1.

On top of all this, the thing is one of the more expensive BC's out there and about twice as much as what he was asking about.

You are again entitled to your assumptions and what-if's,,,,we could go for days on the merits and bads of this bc and bp/w types of gear. I don't know of anyone loading 60# of wgt. or having the bladder inflate to 65# by accident....and in terms of belts...if you feel one is better than 2---that is wonderful. The fact of the matter is I own one and have had it in service for over 130 dives in all sorts of conditions and several gear configurations and have found it to be a great bc. If the poster whom I know wishes to persue a traditional bcd,,a bp/w or a Tech that will be determined by gathering of fair information,,,not that of degative info. from someone whom has never even used the unit. I have dove everthing from traditional jacket to bi to bp/w and this Zeagle Tech,,,,all have goods and bads. I don't need you to demonstrate anything to me,,,and please share with us your last trip up on a run-away bladder and single tank, I am sure we might all gain from your self rescue techniques,,,after your experience is shared I would be happy to share my similar run-away air cell incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom