Is the PADI SMB specialty a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taught it, or seen it taught, in every padi ow class I've been a part of stone 2015
I was PADI OW certified in 2015 and inflation of an SMB at the surface was covered - deploying a DSMB from depth was not. My brother in law and nephew were also PADI OW certified in the last 2 years and it was the same for them (at different shops) - DSMB deployment from depth was not covered!

I was PADI OW certified in 2015 and inflation of an SMB at the surface was covered - deploying a DSMB from depth was not. My brother in law and nephew were also PADI OW certified in the last 2 years and it was the same for them (at different shops) - DSMB deployment from depth was not covered!
It depends in the shop. Standards say it can be from depth or on the surface. The school I work for does Sam deployment from depth

Then your instructor missed the memo. It's included in the list of required skills in the 2014 Instructor Manual

That's possible, but before throwing my instructor under the bus, I must confess that reading this thread, I was thinking of a DSMB, not a SMB. I am certain we never did a DSMB, but am not so sure about whether or not we deployed one on the surface. I did deploy one on my very first post-certification dive, so it's not a difficult skill, whether or not it is specifically taught..

My instructor was not great, but wasn't terrible either. He was big on getting buoyancy and trim right, but some of the skills demonstrations tests were weaker, and he let me go on at least one that I knew I didn't do very well.

That's possible, but before throwing my instructor under the bus, I must confess that reading this thread, I was thinking of a DSMB, not a SMB. I am certain we never did a DSMB, but am not so sure about whether or not we deployed one on the surface. I did deploy one on my very first post-certification dive, so it's not a difficult skill, whether or not it is specifically taught..

My instructor was not great, but wasn't terrible either. He was big on getting buoyancy and trim right, but some of the skills demonstrations tests were weaker, and he let me go on at least one that I knew I didn't do very well.
You aren't supposed to be an expert, you are supposed to be able to survive and not kill your buddy. Mastery doesn't mean being a master, it means that you are able to complete the skill with a minimum of panic and flopping and twitching. If you removed your mask, replaced it and got it cleared without freaking out and bolting, and maybe it took you 3 or 4 attempts to clear, but got it done without my input, I would pass you on the skill.

I'll bet you did better the second time, when no one was watching.

You aren't supposed to be an expert, you are supposed to be able to survive and not kill your buddy. Mastery doesn't mean being a master, it means that you are able to complete the skill with a minimum of panic and flopping and twitching. If you removed your mask, replaced it and got it cleared without freaking out and bolting, and maybe it took you 3 or 4 attempts to clear, but got it done without my input, I would pass you on the skill.

I'll bet you did better the second time, when no one was watching.

Yeah, I know. Though in this particular case, it was a CESA that I didn't do very well, though I did survive <G>.

Removing and replacing my mask, using the reg with no mask, etc, were no trouble at all. Probably because I am quite comfortable in the water, and have spent tons of time under water with no mask (lifesaving training, assistant swimming instructor, lifeguarding, etc). Getting water pushed up my nose by the bubbles from my reg, and then needing to cough through the reg, had my instructor actually convinced that I was going to bolt during one of the pool sessions, but I knew from previous experience of vomiting through my reg during a discover SCUBA course, that there was no need to bolt. I then figured out how to turn my head to keep the bubbles away from my nose...

That's possible, but before throwing my instructor under the bus, I must confess that reading this thread, I was thinking of a DSMB, not a SMB.
I added another post. The (d)SMB skill wasn't required until July 2014. If your course was before that, it was not required. If you certified after that, then heck ya, toss him. We need a good "bad instructor" topic around here. :wink:

I added another post. The (d)SMB skill wasn't required until July 2014. If your course was before that, it was not required. If you certified after that, then heck ya, toss him. We need a good "bad instructor" topic around here. :wink:

Ah, there's the disconnect. Someone mentioned that it went into effect in 2014, but my course was in June 2014, so technically not required, though he probably knew it was coming...

Back when I got certified OW with PADI, DSMB deployment was covered in depth. But that was my excellent instructor. He also covered other non-standard stuff, such as how to safely cull lionfish...

How many people make less than 10 dives a year? Do you really think that even if they take the class they are going to be able to shoot a bag effectively after leaving the bottom? Chances are they will empty the BC and drop anchor on whatever is below them and deploy from a kneeling position and if it doesn't turn into a rats nest and take them with it reel themselves up the line like they are fishing. Skills need to be practiced and shooting a dSMB should probably be a part of every appropriate teaching dive after OW if you want to have any real comfort with the skill. It's not a hard skill to do but it's not hard to mess up either.

I think it is mandatory to have that done at least once in OW now. At least that's what I read a few times, and what my instructor told me 4 years ago.

Totally correct, but i can be done at the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom