Is the PADI SMB specialty a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DM's at my LDS in Cozumel will often take the time at the end of a dive, other factors permitting, to help a diver learn or practice this skill. This is not always an option so I can see the value of this course being offered. I do not see it as a required card or class but I am glad that it has recently been included in the PADI OW. I have spoke with several instructors who have told me that there is a clause in OW training requirements for learning to deploy a bouy that states something to the effect of: 'safety and conditions permitting'. This is a very large loophole and I think many OW students are not being trained in this skill.

I would have taken it if I knew about it. And if it taught me how to shoot a bag properly, I would not consider it a waste at all. I didn't receive any training, in 2015 PADI OW or AOW, in handling a spool, line or smb underwater. Deploying a bag from the surface doesn't teach you how not to get a bunch of tangled line in your face, etc.

I think that's your issue right there. OW divers should have pretty solid buoyancy imo. And if it takes an instructor 10 (diving) hours to do so, then that's what is required, and that's how I see it taught here. That might also be the reason my OW cost me over 800$ (including drysuit rental, and 1-1 training), and not 150$ like I saw it done a lot in Oz (even if it didn't require a drysuit there).
I will limit my reply to ,,,,, with out the proper foundation being laid for a skill it is more negative than a positive training process.

I didn't quite understand what you meant.

I would like to know of the dive charter operator who would allow someone to do a dive oh, except wait, you can't go because you don't have an SMB C card.

I do agree that deployment of an SMB from depth should just be a standard part of some other classes, though. I'm not sold on making it part of OW. But, as Deep is one of the required dives in AOW, I think SMB from depth should be required in AOW, Deep, Wreck, and Boat Diver (at least - maybe also Night, Navigation, and Search and Recovery?).

My OW students have to deploy a sausage on the surface. My AOW students have to shoot it from depth.

Being able to deploy a DSMB from depth is a mandatory skill for UK sea dives, from basic open water level through to CCR 100m+ dives. We very rarely ascend back up the shot line. There are a handful of dives where you might ascend up the shot line , and that's if you can find it again. If you're on a drift, you need to have your bag deployed. Open water divers need to know how to put a bag up, because sometimes separation happens.

By strict definition, that is really a contradiction. If you are getting paid, you are providing professional instruction, not Mentoring.

There is a point that has not been mentioned--just because you take the course does not mean you have to get the card. the cost of a class is determined by the instructor, not the agency. If the course does not include required course materials, and most don't, then the only money the agency gets is the certification card fee. If the student does not want the card and the instructor is fine without issuing it, the course is just between the instructor and the student. The agency would not even know it happened. If you came to me and said you wanted to take the course and didn't want the card, I could teach it to you for whatever we agreed on for the price.

Is PADI dSMB specialty a waste of money?
It depends. If you think you need it, than it is not. Whether it skill or just card.
Problem I see is with card itself. It seems to me that most of world today operates under PADI guidelines (good or bad, not the subject here).
My AOW, well CMAS 2* includes drysuit, night as required, but no card. I had a private conversation with @Storker, about possible drysuit rental in Scandinavia, and he "thinks" I should be able to rent drysuit there (and they mostly operate under CMAS).
I can tell that world is slowly adopting American litigation culture (I think this is bad), so problem that might arise is if someone, somewhere asks for a card I don't have. Not that is happening right now, but trend is I can see that dive businesses are going to cover themselves more and more. Therefore, just like a lot of "old" divers had to get c-cards to be allowed to dive, I might be forced to get this card.
I am a newb, but I firmly believe in personal responsibility, so, at this moment, I think this is a waste of money.

My AOW, well CMAS 2* includes drysuit, night as required, but no card. I had a private conversation with @Storker, about possible drysuit rental in Scandinavia, and he "thinks" I should be able to rent drysuit there (and they mostly operate under CMAS).
In the UK people need a card to rent a drysuit. Recently BSAC surveyed all the clubs to record who was trained/diving a drysuit so they can issue cards if required.

This is not because anyone is worried about being sued, they really would rather people didn't hurt themselves. Also I guess the risk the suit will be cut off a casualty gives the shop an incentive :wink:

Is that true everywhere?

If I show up explaining that I've been diving a drysuit since dive 1, they're not gonna buy it? (even if I look like I know what I'm talking about) ?

Is that true everywhere?

If I show up explaining that I've been diving a drysuit since dive 1, they're not gonna buy it? (even if I look like I know what I'm talking about) ?
It my experience they will say no. I have had to do this for courses when mine was being mended and failed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom