Is the PADI SMB specialty a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course it is a waste of money.

The multi PADI courses are just a money grabbing scheme.

A good instructor, regardless of "brand" is the best investment.

I was very fortunate to have several-NASDS, NAUI, PADI.
That's right! You should stay away from PADI and only go with agencies that don't offer different courses to teach different subjects. that would be agencies like, um, well, let me think...hat would be...no, they do it, too. Wow! It seems like all the agencies offer different courses with different names so that students can choose the education they want and need if they want and need it. What a stupid idea, huh? It looks like all the instructors out there are expecting to get paid for their work, those money grubbers! They should work for free, like plumbers ($175 per hour in my area), doctors, carpenters, etc.

Okay, here's the summary: top-down buoyancy (enough weight for them to sink and be able to float in the water). Small ratios (1 instructor to 4 students, plus another CA, so 2:4).

I'd be happy to send you the outline (which I haven't sent to returner) for my confined water sessions once I'm finished with it. I can share how I do my OW dives that worked very well this past class. Via FB?

I'll post a new thread on Instructor to Instructor for feedback as well.

PM sent.

If you make another post anywhere on SB regarding this issues, please tag me.

On that course I then teach the frog kick or neutral buoyancy or SMB or whatever.
I won't issue a card for that. I do all that in my workshop with only one exception. Most of that should have been accomplished withing their OW course.
After much thought,
At least you're thinking about it.

Not every course will be the same. They can't be. I'm sure I push trim and neutral buoyancy to almost the neglect of other skills. It's not only what I am known for, but it's what I want to be known for. The limitations set by a c-card are "in similar conditions" to what they have been trained in. If they weren't trained for deep, and how could they be with a class limit of 60 fsw, and if they weren't trained for currents, and I have seen precious few OW instructors intentionally expose their students to lots of current, then they shouldn't be diving in those conditions. In my mind, the worst place for a new diver to do to is Cozumel. Now, I love Coz. Coz is great. But there are too many divers doing 'trust me' dives that are exceeding their limits by quite a bit. Simply knowing how to pop a sausage may give them a false sense of security that they are somehow competent to do these dives. In addition to trim and buoyancy, I really, really stress limits. You've got to know your limits. You've got to respect your limits. You should avoid 'trust me' dives because they are outside obit. f your limits. As I said earlier, there are just too many shallow places to dive that you don't need to violate your limits. It's why I don't recommend Coz unless you're going to up your game a bit. No, it's not hard to do.

I"in similar conditions".... It's why I don't recommend Coz unless you're going to up your game a bit. No, it's not hard to do.

Agreed on Cozumel. But I'd say Hawaii is similar conditions with currents less of what they experience at the sites where I do the open water dives. And they'll be doing this from a boat. If they get separated from the dive guide, they need to be able to deploy their own DSMB.

I'd never heard of the SMB course, so I googled it.

From PADI SMB Speciality

What will I do?
The course consists of a knowledge development presentation and 2 open water dives which will cover:

?Why use a DSMB / SMB?
?Tides and currents
?Types of Surface Marker Buoys
?Types of reels
?Methods of delayed SMB deployment
?Risks and hazards of SMB use
?Preparing the delayed SMB for use
How long will it take?
The course consists of an evening of theory and pool work follwed by two opne water dives
(I left the typos in to demonstrate the attention to details)

Knowledge development, really? Personally I think it is a bit of overkill. But, it does allow Padi to take their cut for preparing the course, the LDS for providing a 3 hour chat about cool dives the instructor has done followed by administering the test and then of course there is the 2 open water dives.

Personally, I'd ask a friend to show me if I was unsure after my advanced course. What I would really prefer would be to pay an instructor to dive with me and show me but I really get the impression that Padi doesn't allow that.

I've changed my opinion, a 2 dive dSMB course is fine, better than many of the other specialty courses offered

But, it does allow Padi to take their cut for preparing the course,
Are there required course materials? What money does PADI get when a student takes the course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom