Is Tech Diving worth it???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello -

I am advanced open water with over 60 dives. So far, most of my interest has been in underwater photography and video. The closest dive destination for me is NC and that is 7 hours away. Because of the distances I dont get to dive as much as I would like.

At times I look at tech divers and get tempted to do those deep dives or wreck penetration dives etc. But tech training is expensive so at other times I think why not use that money for an exotic dive trip somewhere? I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway. I thought instead of having this debate with myself I should ask tech divers what they think of this issue?

Bear in mind that even after getting certified in tech, I would not be able to dive more than 20 times a year because being in a land locked area vacation diving is all I do. Would tech be worth it? Or should I just enjoy the waters with my present certification? :idk:

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

I personally think there's two ways to look at this.

One is that the training itself is interesting and you'll learn a lot (if you have a decent instructor).

The other is that just like your OW cert, you either need to go make the dives or you'll get rusty... and rusty adds risk. So I wouldn't go out and do a lot of tek courses that you're pretty sure you won't apply on a (semi) regular basis. In other words, if you do take some tek specialties then choose wisely and take ones that help you expand the envelope on dives you already do.

R..

ummmm. With 60 lifetime dives under your belt, save up for an exotic vacation. There is a lot of ocean to go see in 130 feet or less. When you have a burning desire, you will no longer need to ask. Without the burning desire, it's just another notch in your snorkle, which may get you or your team member killed. I dove 3000 dives before I ever considered extended range diving. I only got certified so I feel qualified to take Tech divers on the Spree. If not for that, I'd be happy as a clam at rec depths.

But tech training is expensive so at other times I think why not use that money for an exotic dive trip somewhere?

Unfortunately, the training is just the start of it.... I have stopped adding up how much my gear has cost me between me and my other half we have three twinsets, four deco tanks, eight regulators, 3 canister lights, 4 backup lights, two argon bottles, 3 backplates, 2 wings..... there's got to be over $30k (local currency!) of kit on top of what we use for single tank diving. A single dive can cost me, in gas alone, $300..... $600 for the two of us.....

As Rob said, if you're not doing the dives you'll get rusty.... and to do the dives, you need the kit. And don't forget the costs of testing all those tanks, servicing all those regulators....

... and it gets worse. There are some really cool things in the ocean at depth, but if you want to take photos or video you'd probably want to think about upgrading your camera gear. Most camera housings are only rated to 40m, you'd want some decent strobes as there is not much light down there and so on. So expect to shell out another $7k+ on camera gear that's up to the job.

How many exotic holidays can you get for all that?? :D

Saying that, some "tech" training will really benefit your day to day diving - learning how to back kick, for example, suddenly makes taking photographs a darn sight easier. Have a look at classes like GUE Fundamentals or UTD Essentials. These will benefit nearly every diver, give you a taste of what more technical diving is like and you'll walk away with some useful skills that will help you take better photographs.

<20dives a year I'm aim to max out your bottom time (with nitrox) and photograph with good buoyancy, trim, backkicks etc. You are not going to be real satisfied with 20mins of BT with 20-30mins of deco for even relatively shallow deco dives.

Save for exotic or just maybe more <110-120ft local diving.

there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway.

Unless you are looking to stay at depth for extended periods of time, then I hardly see how it could be worth it given your circumstances.

I agree with everyone so far.

Years ago I was in a similar situation to you, and I did not even give tech diving a second thought. I took all sorts of exotic trips and had a marvelous time doing it. I saw great places and had wonderful experiences. (See my profile.)

Eventually my mood changed, in part because tech diving instruction became much more easily available to me and I was able to get some gear at somewhat discounted prices. It is still very expensive, and, as others said, the skills need constant work. I did a pool session yesterday, and I am just about to leave for another one now. I will add another on Sunday. Hopefully that will get me where I need to be for what is coming next.

In a few weeks I will be back in Florida to continue my cave training, which I assure you is intense.

In summary, if you are asking if it will be worth it for you, then it will not be. There may come a time when you are ready to do it, but when that time comes you will not be asking about it, you will be doing it.

I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway.

I guess I'll toss away the hours of footage I have from inside wrecks, caves, and below 130 since there is apparently nothing on them worth looking at.

If all you are wanting to do is extend your time at depths <130 you could get away with going "tech" cheaper than those who's goals are deeper than yours, requiring mixed gases, specialized gear & extensive training.

It might be worth looking into what Tech Foundations & Deco Procedure (type) classes would cost you and if there are any instructors locally. A pair of doubles, a large single, and redundant air systems can be obtained used for reasonable prices, which would then allow you to increase your bottom time significantly and do limited deco when required.

I guess I'll toss away the hours of footage I have from inside wrecks, caves, and below 130 since there is apparently nothing on them worth looking at.

I took that as referring to where he dives. Could be wrong though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom