Is Tech Diving worth it???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just starting out on that path, and know that I will not be doing cave or wreck penetration diving. But I see training as a way to improve my basic skill in order to further "up" my enjoyment of diving in general.

In motorcycling instructors often talks about having $10 total worth of attention - no more; if you're "spending" $8 of those on basics like steering and braking, then even a slow ride is a challenge and not very enjoyable.

I believe the same is true for diving; if I can get the basics down to a "cost" of say $2, then I have $8 to enjoy the dive and handle unforeseen "incidents".

So even if I realize that caves or really deep dives are not in my future, I still think that Fundies and Tech 1 will help me further my diving and diving skills and also make me more comfortable towards the edge of my "recreational" diving envelope.

I guess I'd say go for it :)

Henrik

Another POV from the peanut gallery:

a. I had very little interest in "tech diving" -- actually zero interest -- UNTIL I made the "mistake" of taking a Cavern Tour in Mexico. 15 minutes into that experience I wanted to become a Cave Diver -- or at least learn how to Cave Dive which meant I had to do the "technical stuff" and I have.

b. While doing "experience dives" for my NAUI Tech 1 (Decompression Techniques, Technical EANx and Helitrox) cards off my 21 foot (20 year old) boat, the video guy looked at us and said, "Do you realize EACH of us are wearing more gear than your boat cost?" We all burst out laughing because, sadly, it was true!

To expand the discussion further: If one is only doing about 20 dives a year with mixed agency buddies, and perhaps a trip or two to destination dive spots with unknown agency trained buddies, is it worth taking DIR oriented agency training (say beyond fundies or essentials)?

Not trolling. I'm actually curious about others thoughts regarding this as I wonder if the uniquely team oriented aspect of those agencies would work well when diving with others not trained by the same agency(ies).

It wouldn't be "bad" per se. There is just going to be alot of pre-diving talking. Probably more talking than diving. Wait that's kinda like SB itself :wink:

Although I still think "intro to tech" or some cavern courses with a really good instructor or GUE fundementals, UTD's Essentials etc is money well spent even for a 20 dive/yr diver who is ending up with instabuddies. At the very minimum there's buoyancy, trim, kicks, and gas management which aren't taught in most conventional OW/AOW classes. That's as far as I would take any of this if you are only dedicated and motivated enough to do 20 dives/yr on average.

Is Tech Diving worth it???

I dunno, I heard its real dark down there and you have to carry a big light. No thanks:shakehead:

To expand the discussion further: If one is only doing about 20 dives a year with mixed agency buddies, and perhaps a trip or two to destination dive spots with unknown agency trained buddies, is it worth taking DIR oriented agency training (say beyond fundies or essentials)?

Not trolling. I'm actually curious about others thoughts regarding this as I wonder if the uniquely team oriented aspect of those agencies would work well when diving with others not trained by the same agency(ies).

Dale,

Taking a team-oriented course like GUE Fundamentals or to a lesser extent, UTD Essentials, can be very good for any average instabuddied diver, IMO. I've got a grand total of...1 DIR buddies here on Oahu and we went diving for the first time last weekend. Almost 4 months after I finished Essentials.

While you will be missing out on the team aspect of that particular brand of training (unless you have a DIR significant other), I feel that the skills and equipment configuration those agencies teach are applicable to all divers, DIR or not. And while your buddy may or may not be aware of your extra attention, you will spend much less time worrying about trim, bouyancy, or whatever else and having fun on the dive, even if there isn't a solid teammate with you. I enjoy the extra confidence in the water my training has given me, I can focus more on the fun now.

With that being said, I'm finishing dinner and prepping all my gear. Gonna be going out diving with a bunch of un-DIR divers tomorrow and having fun.

Peace,
Greg

I dunno, I heard its real dark down there and you have to carry a big light. No thanks:shakehead:

Yep, and I just don't like hanging on the line for hours decompressing. Too much effort for too little reward, plus the risks go higher :)

Better to stick close to shore and get pounded by the waves. :D

cave_diving.jpg

You know, until right now, cave diving didn't interest me in the least.

There are plenty of cavern dives in the Yucatan that I would call "must do dives".

Last edited:
But tech training is expensive
Training is the least expensive part of the business.It's the endless gear purchasing that will put you on your knees.

I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway.
:confused: this statement really buffles me.

Bear in mind that even after getting certified in tech, I would not be able to dive more than 20 times a year because being in a land locked area vacation diving is all I do. Would tech be worth it?
With this statement you've given yourself the answer::no:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom