Is Tech Diving worth it???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't think that any type of diving is worth it if you're not going to dive regularly. I scratch my head at people that get an OW cert just to dive 4 or 5x a year. At that rate you're forgetting far more than you'll ever hope to learn.

I agree that GUE fundementals, UTD's Essentials or NAUI ITT is the way to start, either way. Even diving just 20 times per year, any of these classes will be worth it, and most likely answer your questions about moving forward or not.

Doubles, stages, classes, scooters, multiple regs, rebreathers, and then maintaining it all is a big commitment. And, IMHO, it's safer to do this type of diving if you are doing it on a regular basis, at least for the first few years.

Hello -

I am advanced open water with over 60 dives. So far, most of my interest has been in underwater photography and video. The closest dive destination for me is NC and that is 7 hours away. Because of the distances I dont get to dive as much as I would like.

At times I look at tech divers and get tempted to do those deep dives or wreck penetration dives etc. But tech training is expensive so at other times I think why not use that money for an exotic dive trip somewhere? I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway. I thought instead of having this debate with myself I should ask tech divers what they think of this issue?

Bear in mind that even after getting certified in tech, I would not be able to dive more than 20 times a year because being in a land locked area vacation diving is all I do. Would tech be worth it? Or should I just enjoy the waters with my present certification? :idk:

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

WHOA WHOA WHOA
let's pump the brakes there chief. that is incorrect

Looking for advice.............I'm very interested in tech diving and my goal is to do the Andrea Doria in a few years. I am looking for suggestions on a boat/dive shop that is experienced. I have found the recommendations of happy divers invaluable. If anyone has been there and could offer any advice with regards to training would also be appreciated. Thanx

Some information about yourself would be helpful such as location, experience etc...

Lots of good advice in prior posts. I would add....just go diving and have fun. It that is tech than so be it. But if you can only do one trip a year than make the most of it and enjoy it. Maybe you will move one day and get to dive more frequently and then adding special equipment will be worth doing.

Certified 1 1/2 years, 60 dives, more comfortable at depth, solo diving, lots of shark dive, just started photography dives, FL, New England ponds/lakes, Bahamas, did my first real wreck dive last decemeber and loved it, advanced, nitrox, really good bouyancy, not a lot of strong current diving. Planning on taking advanced nitrox, trimix, wreck class, penetration class, deco class, rescue and doing more deep dives. I was thinking in 3 years I would like to see the Doria.

I personally don't think that any type of diving is worth it if you're not going to dive regularly. I scratch my head at people that get an OW cert just to dive 4 or 5x a year. At that rate you're forgetting far more than you'll ever hope to learn.

I have a friend who has done the DSD course four times now and still loves it. She is a pure holiday diver and reckons it is cheaper in terms of time and gear to do it that way.

If your not quite sure it's time to start technical diving and looking for more info; I would reccomend asking yourself the same questions after an intro to technical diving, or one of the several bridging programs on the market. If you have already taken Deep and EANx specialty training I would reccomend taking a course such as the Tec 40 program. It certifies you to dive in a twin set, use EANx up to 50% and make nonaccelerated deco dives with up to 10mins deco. It's not an extended range or tec deep diver course but it gives you a bit of insight on what technical diving is all about.

Learn to use redundant life support systems, dive planning, decompression skills and buoyancy considerations for technical diving. Investing in a good instructor will give you a great experience weither you decide to film on twin tanks for safety or progress to the Tec Deep Diver, Cave Diver...ect..

Up to you buddy...

it sounds like you've already made up your mind. if you're landlocked, there's no sense in fantasizing about the deep, especially when you'll rarely see it.

if i were you, i would spend my money on vacations instead, focusing on your photography. the best photography is under 50 feet, anyways! instead of spending your money on training and upgrading your system to be tech-ready, spend your money on plane tickets and dive boats.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom