Is Tech Diving worth it???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway.

Well, you've got a point there. (Not a very good one, however... :D )

Ship%20Wreck%20Truk%20Lagoon

cave_diving.jpg

female%20cave%20diver.jpg

933-large_cave-diving-divers.jpg

wreck_Nippo_tank.jpg

gas-mask-fujikawa.jpg

Thanks very much for all your inputs. Over all consensus seems to show that:

1) It will be more expensive than what I thought

2) at this point it would not be anything I can put to constructive use.

I am looking at some DIR courses and stage deco courses.

Cheers -

S H

Hello -

I am advanced open water with over 60 dives. So far, most of my interest has been in underwater photography and video. The closest dive destination for me is NC and that is 7 hours away. Because of the distances I dont get to dive as much as I would like.

At times I look at tech divers and get tempted to do those deep dives or wreck penetration dives etc. But tech training is expensive so at other times I think why not use that money for an exotic dive trip somewhere? I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway. I thought instead of having this debate with myself I should ask tech divers what they think of this issue?

Bear in mind that even after getting certified in tech, I would not be able to dive more than 20 times a year because being in a land locked area vacation diving is all I do. Would tech be worth it? Or should I just enjoy the waters with my present certification? :idk:

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Based off this I would say its probably not worth it for you. If "there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography" for you at those depths then it makes little sense to pay for training to get you there. Save your money for more diving that you enjoy.

For me it was very much worth it and one of the best steps I have taken to making me a better diver. Both tech and rec.

Like everybody else, I think the skills are very useful. Something like Fundies or Intro to Tech will improve the quality of your diving (and probably your photography!) without having to go through the kind of training that technical or cave divers do.

A very, very wise instructor once told me, "Do all the dives you can do with the certification you have, and when you are bored, get more training." If the thought of trips to exotic places and the opportunity to photograph new species gets your pulse racing, then do it! Save the tech stuff for when another trip to Bali just doesn't float your boat any more :)

To expand the discussion further: If one is only doing about 20 dives a year with mixed agency buddies, and perhaps a trip or two to destination dive spots with unknown agency trained buddies, is it worth taking DIR oriented agency training (say beyond fundies or essentials)?

Not trolling. I'm actually curious about others thoughts regarding this as I wonder if the uniquely team oriented aspect of those agencies would work well when diving with others not trained by the same agency(ies).

I think of tech diving as a bit like mountaineering - it is a voyage, not a destination. A hell of a lot effort and money goes into making the dives, some of which may have only 20 minutes (or less!) of bottom time. You have to enjoy climbing the mountain - not just standing on the summit. Unless you enjoy what goes into the whole process, it probably isn't worth it.

Hello -

I am advanced open water with over 60 dives. So far, most of my interest has been in underwater photography and video. The closest dive destination for me is NC and that is 7 hours away. Because of the distances I dont get to dive as much as I would like.

At times I look at tech divers and get tempted to do those deep dives or wreck penetration dives etc. But tech training is expensive so at other times I think why not use that money for an exotic dive trip somewhere? I am diving primarily for photos and video, there is nothing below 130 ft, or inside a wreck / cave, worthy of photography anyway. I thought instead of having this debate with myself I should ask tech divers what they think of this issue?

Bear in mind that even after getting certified in tech, I would not be able to dive more than 20 times a year because being in a land locked area vacation diving is all I do. Would tech be worth it? Or should I just enjoy the waters with my present certification? :idk:

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

I'm not sure where the "there is nothing below 130 feet" thing came from. Don't believe it, though. People who say that probably heard it from someone else and haven't been there themselves.

My wife and I have also thought about tech diving. I think technical diving would be fun if you have the time, money, interest, and you live in a place where you can do it. FWIW, I have heard that many tech divers are moving to rebreathers.

As an AOW diver you still have a lot you can do in the rec realm. Don't overlook Rescue, Deep, Nitrox, etc. as they are all good stuff.

Man, this thread is starting to get a little scary. Using the term "Tech Diver" like it is a goal to attain, kind of like attaining another patch or decal, or another card in my already overburdened wallet is a bad place to go. As Rhone Man said, diving is a journey, and during the journey, other skill sets are developed. If you have a reason to learn a particular skill, by all means, take a class. If you want the title "Tech Diver", you're going to get someone killed.

When I became a diver, I fell in love with diving. I took an advanced course because I drank the Kool-aid and let my instructor convince me that I needed the course. I found rescue to be the most valuable skill set I ever learned, and use the techniques I learned in that class every time I take this boat offshore. I acquired the skills needed to be a divemaster and instructor because I wanted to work in the industry, and being an instructor was one way to do it. I no longer use those skills, because as I have aged, I've lost patience with teaching. I am still insured and updated, but you won't find me doing 8 CESA's a day ever again.

I had a reason to further expand my skill set, so I took more classes. Folks ask me why I don't cave dive or dive a rebreather. We don't take our liveaboard into caves. I don't ever forsee needing those skills, therefore have no desire to develop them.

This is just recreational diving, people, we do it for fun. If you want to be recognized, become a fireman. They are true hero's. The Deep Sea Detectives are not heros, they just have a really cool job. There are no recognized recreational diving heros, at least not for the diving part of it. If you want a trimix patch for your jacket, ask me, I'll get you one. If you want to go see the Wilkes Barre or the Doria, get the training appropriate for the dive.

Be Aware. My wife and I invested (because for us, it is an investment) over 25k USD in achieving the skills necessary to dive hypoxic trimix. This is not a cheap sport. The Spree has invested well over 50K USD to be fully equipped as a vessel supporting technical diving. Becoming a technical diver means acquiring a skill set to make dives beyond what is taught in open water or advanced. Having a card, patch, or decal just to have it means you wasted your instructors time and your money.

You've gotten some good advice, and in reality answered your own question. One of my instructor's first questions was "why do you want to take this training?". If you didn't have a good reason, you weren't training with him. From your description, you don't "need" to have technical training.

I'll echo what others have said w/ regards to cost/commitment/maintaining skills. If you want to get a taste for it, take a cavern class. It's relatively cheap, may not require major gear updates/changes, and will be very beneficial to everyday diving skills.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom