Is semi-dry wetsuit to warm for Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was diving in Curacao just this April and found it cold in a 3mm full Akona QuantumStretch wetsuit. The water temp was 79F and I was down at 70'.

I'm wondering if the QuantumStretch is not as insulating as a regular wetsuit. Do I need a 5mm? Would a 7mm be overkill? I was looking at the Waterproof Taurus (a 7mm semi-dry wetsuit).

I dive occasionally in Lake Ontario, Canada (45F to 65F). Can I get away with the Taurus in Canada and the Caribbean? Or should I go for a 7mm wetsuit (not semi-dry) and a 7mm shorty to wear over it when diving in Canada?

Thanks,
Darrell

I get cold very easily and I found that the Henderson GoldCore 5mm is perfect for everything between 75-82 degrees. I was comfortable in the Cenotes as well as the Caribbean.

I tried my Tilos 7/5mm semi-dry in the Bahamas last winter.....coldest water around 72F...too warm on one or two dives....had to keep pulling the neck out to bring in cooling water!!

I think a 7mm semi-dry would be mostly too warm for most Carib diving.....bring a hooded vest to layer your 3mm or 5mm and you will be fine. Even a simple hood will be a lot warmer for most conditions.

Just my two cents.

I second the hood idea, makes a difference. I was in Coz back in April and my 2/3 was a little chilly but adding a hood made it fine. I just picked up a Mares Isotherm yesterday and it would be way to warm for the Caribbean.

A semi dry or a 7mm would probably be way too hot. It really depends on how you are though. I wore a long sleeve shorty in Bonaire last november. It's 2mm in the core and 1mm in the arms and legs. I was fine. Most people are good with 3mm in the caribbean if you get cold very easily, a 4/3 suit would be a good choice.

I have an O'Neill 3mm J-Type suit. It is a 3mm suit with a 3mm core vest built in to it. The seams are also Fluid seam welded.
I wear mine in Brockville, where the water temp is about 65F to 70F and in the caribbean if I'm doing a lot of diving and my core body tempurature gets too low.

:xeye: This may sound weird but would a dry suit be good to use in the Caribbean?
It sure would be nice to come out all dry and watch the other divers fight to get their wet suits off.

Back
Top Bottom