50% off Patagonia Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChefMatt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Got an internets ad for 1/2 off Patagucci wetsuits. I would grab one in a heartbeat but just bought a Scubapro 7mm semi-dry, paid too much ;-/ but love it. It kept me toasty in 50*F water for 3 x 45 minute dives.

The 5mm Yulex suit looks nice, Patagonia makes good gear...

Reactions: OTF
I'm pretty sure Patagonia wetsuits are designed for surfing, not diving. I wouldn't want to dive a surf wetsuit in 50 degree water. Then again, I only dive in a drysuit for cold water.

I'm pretty sure Patagonia wetsuits are designed for surfing, not diving. I wouldn't want to dive a surf wetsuit in 50 degree water. Then again, I only dive in a drysuit for cold water.
Aqualung uses the same rubber in its high-end Xscape wetsuits, so it appears to be suitable for diving. Of course, the temp range Patagonia gives is meant for surfers. For diving, I would assume same temp range as any other good suit of similar thickness. FWIW, Aqualung gives a range of 68-82F for its 4/3 of the same material.

I've often wondered how that step in hatch thing on the front would work with BCD should straps. Seems like the zipper would be right underneath a strap and really hurt until you're in the water.

anyone have any experience with that?

I've often wondered how that step in hatch thing on the front would work with BCD should straps. Seems like the zipper would be right underneath a strap and really hurt until you're in the water.

No direct experience with a chest zip wetsuit. But drysuits and some semi-dry wetsuits have (longer) chest zippers, so it should be OK. Anyway Patagonia makes conventional back zips unless you want one of the hooded suits.

I wear surf suits with chest zips exclusively (I’m a surfer new to scuba diving) and have no issue with zips and BC shoulder straps. These suits are designed so that you can lie on your front and paddle - the zip sits at the upper chest midway between the collar bone and pectorals. I find that they are much warner than back-zip suits as they don’t flush. I have a couple of Patagonia suits and they are good although they get very heavy when wet due to the thermal grid lining. This feature actually does not seem to add a ton of warmth despite the claims and I prefer my Feral suits with plain Yamamoto rubber. They are, however, superbly made and Patagucci after-sales service is second to none.

I

use a hollis semidry front zip and love it. i don’t feel the zipper at all from bcd straps. I do feel it when i forget to zip it up!

Dave

Thank you for the heads up. I like to dive long sleeves and shorts and it seems like the only thin long sleeve shorties are for surfing.

Thank you for the heads up. I like to dive long sleeves and shorts and it seems like the only thin long sleeve shorties are for surfing.
I have one of these in 3mm. It's great for warm water. Easiest wetsuit to don/doff.

There's also a cheaper version in their Neosport line:

I have 3/2mm Everflex from Scubapro that's a step-in, chest zip. No issues at all with the comfort once I get it on. No issues with the BCD strap. The zipper lays ontop of a layer of neoprene so it's a bit layered just like any other zipped wetsuit. I loved it when I first bought it 10 years and 5 pounds ago, but even then getting it over my butt was the biggest pain of all. Once you get it over thighs and butt, I find it's much easier to handle solo than back or front zip ups. I'm considering a new 3mm these days, and looking for yulex or something else a bit more eco friendly.

Back
Top Bottom