is my XS beta titanium tanto dull?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwgeetar

Reaction score
hey guys n gals, new here in the forum. first of all i don't scuba dive (health reasons) but i'm a wade fisherman. i bought the XS beta titanium Tanto knife cause i wanted a good sharp reliable knife. i put it on my wadeing belt weekend before last. i didn't need it for much except the 3 trout i caught and cleaned them with.

anyway, i was looking at it last night and rubbing my fingers over the edge and it no longer has a sharp edge. i cut some fresh veggies with it to test and it took a little pressure to cut through them.

now this is my first ever knife of this sort, so am i missing something? does it need sharpening already? the serrated part of it is still very sharp but the rest i can run my finger over it and nada. i also ran it over apiece of paper and it wouldn't cut it.

i can still RMA it but was looking for tips or suggestions on what to do.:confused: thx jw

Last edited:
It may not have been honed from the factory. Or it had what is known as a feather edge put on. Very sharp but not durable at all. You need to get a stone set and put a good edge on yourself. I prefer a single bevel on all my knives when possible( like a samurai sword blade). Holds up better and easy to dress. I have over 20 years experience as a butcher and slaughter house worker. I also don't care for titanium blades as the ones I've had experience with are very hard and a bitch to get an edge on once they dull.

It may not have been honed from the factory. Or it had what is known as a feather edge put on. Very sharp but not durable at all. You need to get a stone set and put a good edge on yourself. I prefer a single bevel on all my knives when possible( like a samurai sword blade). Holds up better and easy to dress. I have over 20 years experience as a butcher and slaughter house worker. I also don't care for titanium blades as the ones I've had experience with are very hard and a bitch to get an edge on once they dull.

thanks jim. so the knife is still good (after a coupla uses) it just don't have a sharp edge? you say a feather edge? i wonder how i missexd that researching this thing before i bought it.thats a little disappointing. i paid over a $100 for this thing. hmmmm, i have a spyderco knife that i use to just open my mail with. after 2 years, it's never been sharpened. but alas it's steel and doesn't see saltwater.

oh boy so i'm gonna have to put an edge on it aleady? i guess my laziness is catching up with me. still---a $100 knife and i have to sharpen it? i guess i got fooled thinking i had a saltwater spyderco.....:shakehead:

I've read that sharpening a titanium alloy blade requires a diamond hone. Conventional stones won't work well. I own several beta alloy titanium knives and have never had to sharpen them, though they see light duty in my diving. I suspect your blade was never terribly sharp to begin with. A diamond hone should fix that.

Sadamune

Hi there,

As Jim said, the odds are good the factory honed you a nice feather edge, which is sharp until you touch it -- and the feather edge folds and your new knife is nicely dull. And yup, titanium is a royal pain to sharpen. I never bother with titanium myself. I am a big fan of Spyderco's H1 steel, you might want to look into any of their knives with H1 which does not rust at all.

If you intend to sharpen your titanium knife, the most important thing is to get a good, consistent angle. You can go with a chisel grind, as Jim suggests (say 15 degree angle on one side, no angle on the other side) or go with 20 degrees on both sides (40 degree angle total). If you are not very good at keeping the angles exact yourself, I highly recommend buying a sharpening system. Spyderco makes an excellent system called the Sharpmaker that works well and uses ceramic hones. You can also buy diamond hones for the Sharpmaker.

Here's the thing: you will be fighting with whatever angle the factory put on your knife. I highly recommend taking the time (it will be a lot of time) and using a diamond hone to set a back bevel at 15 degrees each side. Then use the ceramic hones to set an angle of 20 degrees each side for the cutting edge, which should be long lasting and sharp enough for almost any chore. Alternately, you could get a professional to take the back bevel down and save you some time. Or you could return the knife and buy a nice H1 Spyderco instead! :)

And no, I do not work for or have any affiliation with that company!

thanks guys, very informative. yea i kinda wanted a dummy proof sharp knife that needed no babysitting. well--i got the anti rust part right.:wink: so if i get the angle wrong is this thing toast? i will also check into the Spyderco--:lotsalove:

Look at the Spyderco "Salt". I have thrown one in my BC pocket a few hundred dives ago and it still looks good. I did smear it with silicone grease first.

Titanium knives do require diamond hones (the most practical sharpener available for home use). The Ti metal is not for sharp edges as much as it is durability.

I have a factory prototype bright finish Titanium Mission MPK Seal Knife that is just "fairly" sharp.

If you know anyone who may be in any business that uses knives frequently they will be able to hone it like you never will. I have a friend who is chef. Whenever he is on my boat I take out all the knives and sharpening stones and let him have at it. The results are remarkable. Years ago a boat carpenter did the same thing for me. This guy was old school and used to carve many intricate pieces with a set of knives. Also, if you know a butcher you are home free!
As pointed out above, honing a knife is an exact science. That angle is so important. Too steep and it will be ultra sharp but will dull quickly. Not steep enough and it will not be sharp. Then there is different types of grinds. I have a hollow grind wheel that, when I'm ambitious enough to take out, really put on a keen, but fragile edge.
Note also that titanium, while strong, is a soft metal. It is easily bent in small amounts.

oh boy, i think i have a $100 gorilla. i really didn't want to worry about this knife being dull---to be honest. i'm old skool and use an old stone in my tackle box for all my other cheepo filet knives and such. that old stone would ruin this one i have a feeling......:shakehead:

The best no-sharpen for a long time knife I've seen is the Boker Ceramic line. Expensive but they hold an edge. Have not seen one in a long time though. Do a search on google and see what you come up with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom