Show me your Nice Knife! Vintage BFKs welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my world a rigging knife also has a pike. does your have that?
Not this one but they sell one with it, and also you can get a straight edge instead of serrated. I didn't think I'd need the marlinspike underwater, but who knows!

The knife on my right is my original BFK, purchased in 1980. I haven’t dove it in a couple of years (one of the straps broke and I never got around to replacing it). The middle knife was purchased as a back-up for the Dacor. The tiny one on the left I found diving in RI a couple of years ago.

View attachment 480164
It's fun finding knives, but what do you do for a holster? Whatever it came with didn't work...

It's fun finding knives, but what do you do for a holster? Whatever it came with didn't work...
I think most knives are lost because the user doesn’t get it all the way into the sheath. Modern knives click into place. My Dacor has a rubber loop to hold it in, same with the Wenoka. But they both sat pretty loose in the sheath (the Wenoka sheath was a terrible fitand I was expecting it to just fall out).

The one on the left, is probably a much better dive knife. It holds a blade better than the other two and clips into the sheath. The diver that lost it just didn’t push it in far enough.

I think most knives are lost because the user doesn’t get it all the way into the sheath. Modern knives click into place

I've found a number of squeeze to release knives, they had debris in them that kept them from locking in place. Most knives I've found are BFK's, a scuba tool, and a Fogcutter. I'll post pictures of the ones I've kept, along with my Healthways BFK, when I return from vacation.

Bob

View attachment 480072 My other knife issue... anyone else? I am used to right handed tools but wonder what a lefty knife would feel like.

:rofl3: It's a bread knife. Only 10% of the people can't slice sushi straight with it? Can't be.

When I moved to California and great white shark territory, I bought the biggest, baddest BFK I could find to fend them off. After nearly 50 years diving "with" GWS, I've learned all I really need is a small cutting tool for fishing line, etc.

However, I sure find a number of dive knives "abandoned" in our dive park... just no sheathes for them.

The Pelengas magnetic knife mentioned earlier is still available.
Pelengas knife.jpg

anyone got a stash of line cutters and scissors

010.JPG

or broken steak knives

PXL_20220815_020424574.jpg
My BFK.
Found for about $10 in an antique store. Came with a terrible plastic sheath, now it has a probably also terrible 3D printed sheath that I still haven't gotten around to finishing the design of.

One of these days I'll get some tools out and cut a combo line cutter/bottle opener into the back of it.
Other than weight, the bottle opener will be very useful.

Back
Top Bottom