Is mixing reg brands non-DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I have a single-tank reg setup with an ATX200 1st stage, ATX200 2nd stage (primary) and an ATX50 2nd stage (backup). I'd like to set the reg up for doubles. I really like the hose routing of the Scubapro Mk25 1st stages, but don't necessarily want to spring for 2 Mk25/S600's right now. Is it non-DIR compliant to use two Mk25 1st stages with the Apeks ATX200 and ATX50 2nd stages? Should I just go with two Apeks DS4 1st stages to stick with the same brand even though I don't like the hose routing as much? According to my LDS, the internal pressure is the same on the DS4 and Mk25, so functionally the frankenreg would work fine. Eventually I may go with Mk25/S600's for doubles and use the Apeks as a single tank reg, but I'd rather not spring for two Mk25/S600's right now. Your thoughts?

-John

Use whatever brand works well. See that link in my signature? Here's whats at the TOP of the page:

*** DIR Equipment Configuration ***

A good SCUBA equipment configuration should allow for the addition of items necessary to perform a specific dive without interfering with or changing the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration not only helps solve problems, it prevents them.

Following is a list of equipment as that is of prime consideration:

Primary Regulator: Quality regulator that will be passed to an out-of-air diver.

Back-Up Regulator: Quality regulator that a diver will use as a reserve either in the event of a failure or in an air-sharing episode.

[PF Note: need to be able to take apart second stages underwater]

Does your gear comply? If so, it's DIR.

Done.

Use what works. George used to use Poseidon 1sts with Apeks 2nds. I sometimes use Apeks 1sts and S'Pro 2nds for my stage/deco regs. My backup is a S'pro R190 on an Apeks DS4.

I also use a mix of Apeks and ScubaPro first and seconds ... for my regular use I've got two MK25's, two DS4's, two DST's, an ATX100 and an MK16 ... along with two S600's, an S550, two ATX200's, two ATX50's and a TX50. Which combination I use depends on which rig I'm diving on a given day and what equipment I've loaned out to friends.

Although there are some DIR guidelines about the performance aspects of your regs, I don't think there's any proscription against mixing first and second stage brands ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Although there are some DIR guidelines about the performance aspects of your regs, I don't think there's any proscription against mixing first and second stage brands ...
I'm not aware of any proscription either, but one significant issue in favor of having all the regs the same is the interchangeability of components. It's much easier to effect a field repair (or even just a simple swap) if everything is the same, or least made by the same manufacturer. And if course if you are qualified to do your own repair work, then it makes things much easier as far as keeping spares and rebuild kits on hand.

That might not seem like such a big issue for some folks who "only" have 2-3 regulators, but when you start getting up into dives that require 6 or more regs (two backgas, two deco gas, two stages, and then spares), it can really make a difference. If you think there's any chance that you might get to the level of diving where you need that amount of equipment, then starting with the "right" reg at the beginning can make things a lot easier as you grow and progress.

DIR-Atlanta:
I'm not aware of any proscription either, but one significant issue in favor of having all the regs the same is the interchangeability of components. It's much easier to effect a field repair (or even just a simple swap) if everything is the same, or least made by the same manufacturer. And if course if you are qualified to do your own repair work, then it makes things much easier as far as keeping spares and rebuild kits on hand.

That might not seem like such a big issue for some folks who "only" have 2-3 regulators, but when you start getting up into dives that require 6 or more regs (two backgas, two deco gas, two stages, and then spares), it can really make a difference. If you think there's any chance that you might get to the level of diving where you need that amount of equipment, then starting with the "right" reg at the beginning can make things a lot easier as you grow and progress.
I've heard this logic ... and at a certain level (if you're doing field repairs) I can understand it. But I don't see any difficulties (or have any) swapping out a first or second stage from one manufacturer to another. About the only place it'd matter is if you're using those funky 1/2" Apeks LP hoses ... and I try to avoid using that port whenever possible.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have read this bit about being able to take the secondaries apart underwater. The question I have, maybe it should be a poll, how many DIR divers have ever had to disasseble a secondary underwater and why? How many have successfully reassembled it underwater in limited vis with cold nearly numb hands....

Mike

When I first did my cavern dives, I was surprised at how much gunk gets in those regs sometimes. Somebody misplaces a fin and a mountain of silt gets in the reg. Someone at a place like Morrison springs, misjudges the side of the spring, and for 30 minutes you get a shower of the nastiest crap you can imagine. In fact, at Morrison, I actually had that stuff float INTO the exhaust valve or into the reg somehow, and I had to remove the reg and spit it out. NASTY! I've seen small sticks and leaves get into regs.

So the why, for me is obivious. As to having to do it with cold hands, I couldn't comment as I don't dive cold water yet.

This is from a british page. The logic sounds good to me and has guided my equipment choice. YMMV. (Quoted from: http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/stages.htm )

Stage regulator choice

For a number of good solid reasons, have them the same as your back gas regulators
  • If you have any regulator failure before the dive, you can strip and move parts to your back gas regulators and modify the dive plan. I am more concerned about travelling to a dive site and NOT been able to dive due to a failure than anything the dive can throw at me.
  • [...]
  • With all the regulators the same you get to feel when one is not right in that it is breathing funny . If you change to a different manufacturers or different spec regulator during a dive you have no reference as to what this one is like and thus no indication of a potential failure about to occur.

Strip parts? If one of my regs is acting wieird, I swap another one on. I don't like playing technician out in the field. Especially when I need that gear to dive on in a few minutes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom