Is mixing reg brands non-DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver:
Hey all,

I have a single-tank reg setup with an ATX200 1st stage, ATX200 2nd stage (primary) and an ATX50 2nd stage (backup). I'd like to set the reg up for doubles. I really like the hose routing of the Scubapro Mk25 1st stages, but don't necessarily want to spring for 2 Mk25/S600's right now.

-John

John: Both my buddy and I just went through this type of back and forth for a while before setting up our doubles (me in preparation for fundies, him because we like diving the same setup especially since our SAC's are quite close).

My singles rig was an Atomic Z2 1st stage, Z2 primary with a Z1 secondary.

Initially I was going to go with another Salvo (which I already had on a 40 cf) and keep the Atomics as a singles reg. In the end I got a used Atomic M1 so now I have all Atomics, the routing is really sweet (and Lamont says all the cool kids are diving Atomics :) )

My buddy kept his XTX 200 for his right post and ended up buying an Oxycheq reg for $190 (first and second) for his left post. Dove it today, he thinks the Oxycheq delivers as much air as his XTX and is pleased that he didn't spend as much money as I did :)

At this point I really don't see myself diving singles unless the boat I'm going on isn't large enough / setup for doubles. So I'm not going to worry about owning a singles setup. If it ever gets to the point where I _really_ feel I need both, I'll either add an H (or Y) valve to a singles tank and keep my dual first stages, or pick up an extra Salvo / Oxycheq (same reg) setup. :)

Good luck, enjoy your doubles :D

PerroneFord:
I have yet to walk into a shop that caters to cavers, that doesn't have a selection of regs that an be opened by hand.

So take that for what it's worth.

PerroneFord: Thank you for the reply. We will take it "for what it's worth" if it works in extreme conditions then it will be fine for less extreme diving. We spent some time on this issue last fall. The posts on the DIR forum were part of our agenda. Serious divers in extreme conditions should, in our opinion, be the standard. We have spent the last 18 months redesigning regs both first and second stages. We are now in the water with these regs testing and refining.

PerroneFord:
MY primary Dive Rite appears to have some loc-tite on it or some gorilla strong person tightened it down. Consequently, it lives in my dive bag as a spare.
Are you talking about removing the cave ring?
The cave ring on my DiveRite 2nd stage (RG2010 probably just like yours) easily unscrews if I want to take it apart. Weird...

mdb, personally I like to rinse all my regs after usage, even if it's in fresh water. I'll bring a tank up to the sink, connect my regs & pressurize, then rinse out the 2nd stage. This includes taking off the cover and diaphragm and rinsing out the entire innards. So far my regs have had zero issues and look brand new inside. Granted, they're only a year old, but I'm OCD about my gear. :)

I am a new diver compared to many of the people posting in this thread ... I will say this:

I had a regular set-up with different stages. My octo breathed hard (it was a different mfgr.) ... the lds tech advised me some hoses, regs, and 1st stages are engineered to work optimally with gear from the same maker. Now, if I understand what DIR is all about, then mixing and matching is not necessarily 'doing it right'.

Caveat: if you are an engineer and know for a fact that the gear is tweeked to the same settings, then go for it.

P.S. This is why I'm on an Apple and not a PC :)

I'm not sure that the cause of your octo breathing hard was from it being a different brand. Perhaps it wasn't optimally adjusted.

SparticleBrane: Thanks, your comments provide good input for our design team. We have a very good new first stage, O2 clean out of the box, sealed and ready for cold water etc. The second stage, stable, easy to field service, good low effort exhaust, etc. is now a high priority. You, and others, in the DIR community, have very good input. You may well be, at this time, a small fraternity, but a good source for real world info. You take your diving seriously. We do too.

mikerault:
I have read this bit about being able to take the secondaries apart underwater. The question I have, maybe it should be a poll, how many DIR divers have ever had to disasseble a secondary underwater and why? How many have successfully reassembled it underwater in limited vis with cold nearly numb hands....

Mike

yes, i've done that. second stage on a deco regulator had the purge button pressed in and stuck, so i took the cover off and fixed. with blue gloves in 45-48F water after 80 minutes or so of bottom time.

Zenshift:
I am a new diver compared to many of the people posting in this thread ... I will say this:

I had a regular set-up with different stages. My octo breathed hard (it was a different mfgr.) ... the lds tech advised me some hoses, regs, and 1st stages are engineered to work optimally with gear from the same maker. Now, if I understand what DIR is all about, then mixing and matching is not necessarily 'doing it right'.

Caveat: if you are an engineer and know for a fact that the gear is tweeked to the same settings, then go for it.

If you heard it from an LDS then it's wrong.

Think about it. There is no way a 2nd stage that works at 130 psi knows if that 130 psi comes from X brand or Y brand 1st stage. Once in a while you'll run into an exception (some Dacors come to mind) where the manufacturer used an oversized/non-standard hose but for the most part it doesn't matter.

mikerault:
I have read this bit about being able to take the secondaries apart underwater. The question I have, maybe it should be a poll, how many DIR divers have ever had to disasseble a secondary underwater and why? How many have successfully reassembled it underwater in limited vis with cold nearly numb hands....

I've had to do it a few times, mostly to free a folded exhaust valve. It was easy peasy with the regs I was using at the time. To me the abiliity to be able to screw off the cover and access the inside is pretty important.

I've pulled the cover off off my Oceanic7 it just unscrews. I use a couple of the generic $60 first stages from here on scubaboard and the Oceanic7 second stages. I also have a set of DS4's I am thinking about using, but the inexpensive regs breath well, are cold water certified and DIN and are already rigged.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom