Is mixing reg brands non-DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR-Atlanta:
I'm not aware of any proscription either, but one significant issue in favor of having all the regs the same is the interchangeability of components. It's much easier to effect a field repair (or even just a simple swap) if everything is the same, or least made by the same manufacturer. And if course if you are qualified to do your own repair work, then it makes things much easier as far as keeping spares and rebuild kits on hand.

That might not seem like such a big issue for some folks who "only" have 2-3 regulators, but when you start getting up into dives that require 6 or more regs (two backgas, two deco gas, two stages, and then spares), it can really make a difference. If you think there's any chance that you might get to the level of diving where you need that amount of equipment, then starting with the "right" reg at the beginning can make things a lot easier as you grow and progress.

I've read this before also, and it makes sense, but the way I've always read it is that similar components should be of the same make, i.e., all 1st stages should be the same, all second stages should be the same. I don't see any particular value in having the 1st stage be the same brand as the second stage from a field serviceability standpoint, since they don't share any components (that I'm aware of). My specific question was around mixing a 1st stage of one brand with a 2nd stage of another brand, and from the responses it doesn't sound like this is an issue. Now, being the anal retentive that I am, eventually I'll resolve to standardize on one brand across the board, but in the interest of getting into doubles with a minimum of cost it sounds like I can put a couple of SP Mk25's on there and be happy. Alternately, I may still opt to throw a couple of DS4's on there since they're less expensive and manage the hose routing of those until I'm ready to buy all new SP regs.

This isn't exactly an answer to you question - but: On Friday night I put together a doubles rig using a Halcyon 300 bar manifold and two Mk25s with S600s. I was diving a Mk 25 dual S600 as my single tank rig, and I bought another Mk 25 first stage.

The first thing I'll say is that I hooked it up exactly as in the DIR photos you'll find with one hose off of each bottom. It's a very sweet set-up.

Second I dove it for the first time yesterday morning. Dual HP 100s. I've been diving a single 130 to get ready for the weight. When the moment came the doubles were clearly heavier than the 130, but did not seem to be nearly as bad as I expected, maybe because the center of gravity was very slighly closer to my back.

I walked them up and down a lot of steps and across the beach. In the water - sweet. I like the lift with the Halcyon 40 evolve wing. Under water - very nice trim and stability.

I love my Mk 25s. Now to your question - maybe try this experiment. Borrow someones Mk 25 S-600. Set up your second stage/Mk 25 and the S-600/Mk 25 on a doubles-rig. Alternate breathing both regs. If you don't like how your's breathes by comparison you will figure out what to do. If they breathe nearly the same - you're golden and you can standardize on ScubaPro as you roll.

Jim

Also matching up gear choices with your team mates is good thing....

It makes it easy to spot misplaced hoses and errors in routing...

If you have an issue you can borrow common tools and ask for a loaner from your team mates....

It makes it easy to troubleshoot since it's the same reg you are used to....

As far as the "hand tight" and "take apart UW" i'm not sure if that is still the norm...

with someone in the Fundies level I wouldn't suggest it.

I think locally it's about
75% SP Mk 25
20% Apeks DS 4
5% Other

Time for a poll? :)

Just got my XTX50s w/DS4s a few days ago. :D :D

Ben_ca:
Also matching up gear choices with your team mates is good thing....

It makes it easy to spot misplaced hoses and errors in routing...

If you have an issue you can borrow common tools and ask for a loaner from your team mates....

It makes it easy to troubleshoot since it's the same reg you are used to....

As far as the "hand tight" and "take apart UW" i'm not sure if that is still the norm...

with someone in the Fundies level I wouldn't suggest it.

I think locally it's about
75% SP Mk 25
20% Apeks DS 4
5% Other

Time for a poll? :)

Ah yes, this is a very valid point that I hadn't thought of. I'd seen a few of you guys running SP but didn't realize it was that heavily favored. If it's SP that I like, and it's what you're all mostly running, then it makes sent to this route straight away.

JJ mentioned that the "hand tight" thing was only because they were dealing with SO MANY regs at the WKPP. He suggested not doing it. I actually lost an o-ring in Jackson Blue because my backup reg backed off. It was a very nice test of my valve drill skills 500ft back in JB though! Very exciting!

PerroneFord:
JJ mentioned that the "hand tight" thing was only because they were dealing with SO MANY regs at the WKPP. He suggested not doing it. I actually lost an o-ring in Jackson Blue because my backup reg backed off. It was a very nice test of my valve drill skills 500ft back in JB though! Very exciting!

PerroneFord: Even though I am not GUE/DIR trained I learn a lot from your posts. You never argue, you are always informative.

Our early Apollo regs were fairly easy to take the second stage open while U/W, clear a clog, reset a twisted exhaust valve etc. We are now working on the next generation. How imporant is it, in your opinion, to open the second stage while U/W?

mdb:
PerroneFord: Even though I am not GUE/DIR trained I learn a lot from your posts. You never argue, you are always informative.

Our early Apollo regs were fairly easy to take the second stage open while U/W, clear a clog, reset a twisted exhaust valve etc. We are now working on the next generation. How imporant is it, in your opinion, to open the second stage while U/W?

I like to be able to do it. I've had to do it once, where I got a bit of grit stuck behind the purge button on a reg as I purged it. This caused it to lock on. It was quick and simple to shut down that post, take the front plate of the reg off, remove the bit of grit and reassemble. On this particular dive, we were shallow and had no deco obligation, so I could have just canned the dive, come back to shore and fixed the reg, but since I was able to sort it underwater we could continue with the dive quite happily.

However more importantly is being able to quickly and easily get inside the 2nd stage on the boat. I have had to do this several times, and it's quicker and easier if you don't need a tool to do it, it also means that people are more likely to inspect the diapragm in the 2nd stage as they can easily access it.

HTH

John

johnkendall:
I like to be able to do it. I've had to do it once, where I got a bit of grit stuck behind the purge button on a reg as I purged it. This caused it to lock on. It was quick and simple to shut down that post, take the front plate of the reg off, remove the bit of grit and reassemble. On this particular dive, we were shallow and had no deco obligation, so I could have just canned the dive, come back to shore and fixed the reg, but since I was able to sort it underwater we could continue with the dive quite happily.

However more importantly is being able to quickly and easily get inside the 2nd stage on the boat. I have had to do this several times, and it's quicker and easier if you don't need a tool to do it, it also means that people are more likely to inspect the diapragm in the 2nd stage as they can easily access it.

HTH

John

John: Good info.

mdb:

You give me WAY too much credit. I argue and get frustrated like everyone else. I just try not to do it often :)

I've been lucky to have access to some pretty special people in diving, and I ask a TON of questions trying to learn. Having acces to JJ for a couple of days was invaluable, and really changed how I approached my diving. Really forced me to THINK about every single thing I do preparing to get in the water, while in the water, and while getting out of the water.

As for the regs, I won't purchase a second stage that I can't get into without tools. MY primary Dive Rite appears to have some loc-tite on it or some gorilla strong person tightened it down. Consequently, it lives in my dive bag as a spare. It's nearly brand new as well. When I have my regs serviced, I'll request they only hand tighten it.

I would assume for most, this is not a crucial consideration. But for those who dive in areas where grit, barnacles, sediment, or other things could get in the reg, it's really nice to be able to get in there. Regs from Apeks, SP, Dive Rite, and others, make this trivial. I have yet to walk into a shop that caters to cavers, that doesn't have a selection of regs that an be opened by hand.

So take that for what it's worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom