Is it wrong to use your dive suit for bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaliban

Reaction score
I realize some believe this is strictly a matter of personal choice and others believe there is in fact a right and wrong answer to the question of whether it's proper form to use your dive suit for buoyancy control.

Though I'm too new to the sport to speak with any authority on the subject, I found this short article which, in my view, makes a pretty good case against using the dive suit for bc. http://www.baue.org/faq/dynamic_instability.html

Essentially, the article briefly explains the concept of dynamic instability, and then points out how the two ideas of being weighted properly and not using your drysuit for buoyancy control help to minimize the potential for dynamic instability.

-k

Using your dry suit for buoyancy control is a bad idea, it's meant for exposure protection not as a BCD. Now having said that, if your properly weighted, the amount of air you add to your suit to offset the squeeze may be ( usually is for me ) enough to keep you neutral at depth. There is a line of thinking that promotes using only your drysuit to control buoyancy especially for newer divers. The reason is that they would only have to control (vent) one device upon ascent and not manage venting the BC and drysuit. The task overload theory..

It's strictly a matter of personal preference; there are pros and cons to EITHER method.

The PADI course teaches using the suit for buoyancy control u/w and the BC for positive buoyancy at the surface. Since I am a PADI Instructor who teaches that Speciatly, that's the way I teach it.

~SubMariner~
A drysuit diver since 1993

As others have said, its personally down to you and what you feel happier with.

I dive singles, i use my suit for buoyancy, ive had no problems and happy with it.

One person at the club uses his jacket for buoyancy and again has no problems with it.

If the weighting is right you wont have the moving bubble of air and run no extra risk of inversion. If its wrong you'll have problems though - that isnt a dry suit problem its a weighting problem and really should be sorted out elsewhere.

Obvious the weight of twins and stages means there will be too much air in a suit hence using the BC or wing for that makes sense.

On ascending if you have air in the suit expanding and air in the BC expanding you can get into an out of controlled ascent which is one reason i believe most agencies teach people to use the suit method. It greatly reduces workload among newly qualified divers and eliminates the risk or at least reduces it.

As for the article, ive found other sites describing in detail WHY you should use it for buoyancy over a jacket.

The instability issues, massive air migration and so on are just a result of diving overweighted and cease to become an issue once that problem is solved.

Try out both methods in the pool and maybe in SHALLOW open water dives. Pick a method and stick to it - problems will come if you mix and match methods, get confused/narced as to which one you do and could lead to rapid ascent.

Just yesterday was the first time in 200+ drysuit dives that I used my wings for bouyancy control. Although it was extremely awkward, and even frustrating at first, because I hadn't done it in so long, I found it offered much better control, and it is a lot less likely that you will end up going to the surface feet first with your boots full of air. I dive with a SS Dive Rite back plate, Dive Rite Wrec Wings, and I was using my PST E-130 tank. I was able to use less weight, and ditch the ankle weights when I used the BC for what it is intended.

SubMariner once bubbled...
It's strictly a matter of personal preference; there are pros and cons to EITHER method.

The PADI course teaches using the suit for buoyancy control u/w and the BC for positive buoyancy at the surface. Since I am a PADI Instructor who teaches that Speciatly, that's the way I teach it.

~SubMariner~
A drysuit diver since 1993

What is a * pro * for using the suit for buoyancy?
Properly weighted, at the beginning of a dive the amount of gas needed to offset the weight of the gas in the tanks will be much more manageable in the wing than in the suit. No movement of the air based on attitude when using the wing like there is using the suit.

kaliban once bubbled...
Is it wrong to use your dive suit for bc?
Is it wrong to pee in your drysuit? Some folks would say that it is wrong while others are adamant that it is a matter of personal preference.

Peeing in your drysuit works... sorta... I just don't think that it is the best solution to the problem and introduces other problems.

Using you drysuit for a BC works... sorta... I just don't think that it is the best solution to the problem and introduces other problems.

Using you drysuit for a BC works... sorta... I just don't think that it is the best solution to the problem and introduces other problems. [/B]

"you dont think" at least meaning you believe in personal choice.

Other problems it introduces? I assume you mean over weighted diver with air migration. Id does eliminate one problem though - the risk of uncontrolled ascent trying to manage 2 air sources. A particular risk with novice divers.

What PADI teaches for the Drysuit Specialty:

4. Adjusting your buoyancy underwater.
a) Underwater, you add air or argon only to the suit. Do not use your BCD.
1. This avoids a suit squeeze (severe pinching due to compression as you descend).
2. You're not having to control two systems -- adding or releasing gas as you change depth.
3. It keeps the proper amount of air/argon in your undergarment for insulation.

As I've said many times before, it's a matter of training, practice, and personal preference.

As long as it's safe does it matter what method anyone uses?

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom