Is it worth to do OC trimix before CCR Helitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of getting CCR trained while having only TDI ANDP.

I hear all the time that it is worth getting OC Trimix trained before CCR in case you bail out.

What are your opinions on this?

I am thinking of getting CCR trained while having only TDI ANDP.

I hear all the time that it is worth getting OC Trimix trained before CCR in case you bail out.

What are your opinions on this?

Can you get helium locally and what will it cost you? It’s not uncommon for shops in the US to fill CCR only, not OC.

I’m doing CCR Helitrox hopefully next year as I couldn’t find any helium locally to finish AN/DP/Helitrox on OC (started last year). I get narked bad enough that me just doing AN/DP on air/nitrox is dangerous. And yes, if your class is to 150ft, you will go to that depth with my instructor. Starting CCR this fall.

I’d say just go CCR now and do Helitrox later. I’m starting CCR not deco trained. Lots of differing opinions.

There will be enough to think about in your CCR class without having to do it while narced. If you have a trimix or helitrox ticket before you start you can use it as a diluent from the get go.

Can you get helium locally and what will it cost you? It’s not uncommon for shops in the US to fill CCR only, not OC.

I’m doing CCR Helitrox hopefully next year as I couldn’t find any helium locally to finish AN/DP/Helitrox on OC (started last year). I get narked bad enough that me just doing AN/DP on air/nitrox is dangerous. And yes, if your class is to 150ft, you will go to that depth with my instructor. Starting CCR this fall.

I’d say just go CCR now and do Helitrox later. I’m starting CCR not deco trained. Lots of differing opinions.
If I go CCR, I’d try consider going for CCR Helitrox from the get go for the knowledge, getting He is expensive but it’s doable, I have a shop literally 5 mins of where I moved now.

If I go CCR, I’d try consider going for CCR Helitrox from the get go for the knowledge, getting He is expensive but it’s doable, I have a shop literally 5 mins of where I moved now.

Would the instructor do CCR Helitrox for your first CCR class? Even if standards allow it, instructor could still make you do air dil first and then upgrade to Helitrox a bit later.

I just taught a Helitrox class. I'm assuming it will be my last one. The amount of He in the mix is close to being inconsequential (END of 113 on a 150' dive, at best), but more importantly getting He for open circuit is basically a non-starter at this point. Even if I can get it for class, the students won't be able to get it to conduct dives. They'll be stuck doing 150' dives on air, which they wouldn't have done before.

Just go CCR. It will change your diving point of reference so much, that mix before or after doesn't really matter. Getting on the loop sooner than later is more important than if you have a mouse fart of He in your mix or not. I just did a CCR course for a Prism, cross over for me, first CCR for the other three students. It was an air dil class, even though all three of them are mix certified on OC, and I'm normoxic CCR.

Would the instructor do CCR Helitrox for your first CCR class? Even if standards allow it, instructor could still make you do air dil first and then upgrade to Helitrox a bit later.
In my case the instructor offered it as an option.

I think going from AN/DP into CCR is fine, but I would recommend getting an instructor to mentor you a few days on using multiple deco/stage cylinders, then dive with them and practice handling and gas switches before starting CCR. You don't have to be deep or in deco to do this.

I believe being proficient with 3 to 4 stage/deco cylinders made the CCR class way less overload for me.

How much stages or bailouting are you planning do to in your ccr career. I see a bunch of people doing trimix before mod1 with no intention of ever doing anything with more than one bailout and air dill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom