Is it me or is it them??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify...
You've already paid $58 for a double HP 32% nitrox fill for the canceled trip last weekend, right?
Now, in addition to that, you suspect that the shop will charge you another $58 for draining 1250 psi and topping off with air.
In the end, you think you could be paying $116 for one doubles fill of 28% mix.
That's interesting.

I think that most dive shops, given that scenario, would just drain and top off with air at no additional charge for a loyal customer.
If they don't know you, they might charge the cost of one air fill (in addition to the original 32% doubles fill).

At the nitrox prices you quoted, I think I'd consider mixing my own gas.

Reactions: Jax

Seriously.

If you and some friends use nitrox blends with any frequency, you should consider taking a blending course, buying a fill whip, renting O2 tanks, and mixing your own. Take your tanks with the right amount of O2 in them and just ask for an air topoff. You will be way ahead financially in no time. Nitrox fills cost the shop of fraction of what they are charging you, and if that is the standard price for your area, then your filling coop will be a huge success.

Just to clarify...
You've already paid $58 for a double HP 32% nitrox fill for the canceled trip last weekend, right?
Now, in addition to that, you suspect that the shop will charge you another $58 for draining 1250 psi and topping off with air.
In the end, you think you could be paying $116 for one doubles fill of 28% mix.
That's interesting.

I think that most dive shops, given that scenario, would just drain and top off with air at no additional charge for a loyal customer.
If they don't know you, they might charge the cost of one air fill (in addition to the original 32% doubles fill).

I think I will be charged at least another $29 from past experience.

The LDSs with which I have worked in the past would have charged less than half of that $58 total and been pleased with the profit they had made.

$58 for doubles filled with nitrox?
... my LDS would drain some nitrox out of my tanks, top them with air, and tell me to have a nice dive.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm glad I have similar experience to NWGD & boulderjohn. 2 empty tanks filled w/36%, is less than $25.00

To use the words in your thread title, it's them.

That's ridiculous. If other shops don't do better, then you really do need to start doing your own fills.

Here is something for comparison.

When people I dive with dive in a remote area of New Mexico, using either nitrox or trimix, we put in the amount of helium and/or oxygen we want and then visit the local tank filler, Stella, who provides high quality air (good enough for O2 clean tanks). If she tops off my LP 108s, she charges me $5 per tank.

Why don't you rent a couple tanks from them with the correct mix and use your tanks later on another dive. Or just use compressed air and forget the Nitrox. For $58 I'd be looking at another LDS. Riiiiiiiiip-offffff.

I would definitely look around for a new LDS for fills if possible.

There are several scuba shops on Long Island I see.

Greetings OMFSDiver I would use my buddies transfill whip to shoot the 1250 into a AL 80 then top the 100's with air.
That price is pretty steep and I would be limited to dive Nitrox for fills such as you describe.
The blender class would be cheaper for you to take at prices like those.
It really is not all that difficult.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom