Is it me or is it them??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIFTY EIGHT DOLLARS FOR NITROX????!!!! That's highway robbery.

Around here, a Nitrox fill is generally about $12 for a single tank -- which would make it $24 for doubles, which is still highway robbery. I can get a 21/35 fill in my 85s for $60.

If the shop charges you anything more than a single tank air fill charge, they're out of line, IMO.

Man -- Cadillac prices on Nitrox in the East, NO Nitrox in SoCal . . . despite our weather, Puget Sound is looking better and better.

Reactions: Jax
IT IS THEM!!! YOU ARE BEING ROBBED!!! Take your money and run. Cut your losses with those thieves!!!

Find a different shop, or buy your own compressor/blending station if those prices are the standard in your area.

A single tank air fill costs $5 at the shop I use, and $10 for doubles. A nitrox fill for singles or doubles with up to EAN32 is only $15. I could justify a pretty long drive to find a shop more honest and reasonable than the one you speak of.

I want to start out by saying I am a loyal customer at my LDS. If I need something they stock I usually purchase it from them and only use online for things they don't carry.
This past week the LDS had a local dive trip planned and I had my doubles filled with a 32 mix at the shop. Due to the weather the trip was cancelled. I am diving this weekend(private trip) and now need a 28 mix for the dive. I planned on taking out 1250 psi and having them top off the tanks with 21% to get me to my 28 mix.
Now here is my question, what should I be charged for the fill? I know they are going to try to charge me for a double HP nitrox fill ($58). Is this the norm? What would your LDS do?
Thanks for the feed back.
To qualify my reply I must say I'm in retail sales so I see it from the other side.
Currently you are ASSUMING what they will or wont do and getting all wound up. In fairness shouldn't that be discussed after the fact or at the very least after you ASK them what they will charge?
Now one bit I'm not qualified to comment about is the 21% bit. Are you saying you want them to top your tanks off with a 21% mix or you want a top off with air?
Also theres another question I must ask (not being in the US) What are the LEGAL ramifications for the LDS of them taking your word for the contents of your tanks and pumping in what you ask for on top of (as far as they are concerned) -who knows what?
I just wonder if in fact no matter what you SAY if they actually have to empty the tanks and put in a full fresh charge of the mix you ultimately want.

FIFTY EIGHT DOLLARS FOR NITROX????!!!! That's highway robbery.

Around here, a Nitrox fill is generally about $12 for a single tank -- which would make it $24 for doubles, which is still highway robbery. I can get a 21/35 fill in my 85s for $60.

If the shop charges you anything more than a single tank air fill charge, they're out of line, IMO.

Man -- Cadillac prices on Nitrox in the East, NO Nitrox in SoCal . . . despite our weather, Puget Sound is looking better and better.

I do not dive Nitrox but I do know how to mix gas and if you are being charged more then $12 for a single tank fill you are being ripped off.

To qualify my reply I must say I'm in retail sales so I see it from the other side.
Currently you are ASSUMING what they will or wont do and getting all wound up. In fairness shouldn't that be discussed after the fact or at the very least after you ASK them what they will charge?
Now one bit I'm not qualified to comment about is the 21% bit. Are you saying you want them to top your tanks off with a 21% mix or you want a top off with air?
Also theres another question I must ask (not being in the US) What are the LEGAL ramifications for the LDS of them taking your word for the contents of your tanks and pumping in what you ask for on top of (as far as they are concerned) -who knows what?
I just wonder if in fact no matter what you SAY if they actually have to empty the tanks and put in a full fresh charge of the mix you ultimately want.

From past experience I know that they will charge at least $29 for the fill. What I was trying to find out is, am I being cheap or are they over charging me. From all of the posts I think I know the answer. I am not happy with the price of Nitrox fills around my area but in NY diving is limited to a few months a year and as a business owner myself I understand they need to make a living. All I am asking for is 1250psi of O2 compatible air to top off the tanks. They are the ones who originally filled the tanks, if they are concerned about contamination or question the tank contents I will let them bleed off the 32%.

my lds, which is in no way 'l' since it's 9 1/2 hours away, charges for air or nitrox by the cubic foot. oh how i love them!

seriously, if that's the best they can do, start blending your own & let them know they've lost you.

my LDS prices :

air fill (3000psi)$4
HP fill $6
$0.10 CF for up to 32% (ie $8 for an al80 if its empty)
$0.40 CF for o2
$0.60 CF for helium.

Likely they probably wouldn't charge me to do what you are asking but worst case would charge the $4 for an air fill since I am causing some wear and tear on their filter.

I am not happy with the price of Nitrox fills around my area but in NY diving is limited to a few months a year and as a business owner myself I understand they need to make a living.
I would guess that here in Colorado, our diving season is shorter than yours. We also have a more significant problem in that there is almost no local diving deep enough to make nitrox worth it. Consequently, many local shops do not even bother to offer nitrox. Thus, the few that do offer nitrox have a near monopoly on an item rarely asked for, so you wold think the prices would be sky high. They aren't. They are very reasonable--far, far lower than the rates you pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom