Is it good that scuba diving is not popular!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And with that, the level of discussion has been raised tenfold. Way to go, Ray!!!

The industry numbers, from the sources I have looked at, show that the numbers have been flat for a while now.

"Flat" would be great. The number of newly certified divers (in the US anyway) has been largely in decline for several years, and by all measures the attrition rate is as bad as ever.

If we want innovation and diversity in equipment, a good number of quality operators, and a reasonable number of dive shops/air suppliers, scuba has to be "popular" and attract enough established and new divers to support it. I do what I can to support scuba diving and my favorite operators and shops. It's in my best interest that they continue to be successful.

My home territory is Boynton Beach, Florida and the majority of diving is drift. For selfish reasons, I would generally like to dive by myself. I gladly take the flag and show visitors a good time so that they will have a positive experience and say good things about the operator and the area.

"Flat" would be great. The number of newly certified divers (in the US anyway) has been largely in decline for several years, and by all measures the attrition rate is as bad as ever.

I think you are very much correct. I was speaking more of my little area of the world and probably should have mentioned that. Our numbers have remained around the same level of growth over the past two years. Luckily we have grown steadily (despite our best efforts lol). I am looking for the magic answer like everyone else to turn the numbers around overall, but I personally feel that many have taken the value out of learning to dive.

I think you are very much correct. I was speaking more of my little area of the world and probably should have mentioned that. Our numbers have remained around the same level of growth over the past two years. Luckily we have grown steadily (despite our best efforts lol). I am looking for the magic answer like everyone else to turn the numbers around overall, but I personally feel that many have taken the value out of learning to dive.

You're bucking the trend... even in NC

NORTH CAROLINA - OW CERTIFICATIONS
2013: 3,617
2012: 3,853
2011: 4,148

You're bucking the trend... even in NC

NORTH CAROLINA - OW CERTIFICATIONS
2013: 3,617
2012: 3,853
2011: 4,148

Oh I know. We compete with a shop that offers OW training for $200 and we will not become a cert farm. So, we deal mainly in continuing education and specialties.

Since I live close to and do most of my current dives in a dive park used by local and mainland instructors to train OW students, it can get pretty crowded especially on summer weekends. To avoid the crowds underwater, I often spend the day socializing with diving friends there and then dive at night when there are far fewer divers in the water... or dive at night midweek when I may be the only diver!

As for the issue of improving technology in dive gear, the stuff I use most is pretty darned old and works great. Of course I'm glad we now have things like BCDs, SPGs, octos, dive computers, etc. They were lacking in the early 1960s when I started.

I really hope diving becomes more popular. It will cause innovation, and lowering of prices of nearly every piece of gear. I also think that as we climb out of the economic hole that we're currently in, we'll see more diving. People currently are just very frugal. Diving is a supplemental income hobby/sport, and when people can afford basic necessities, then maybe they'll want to take more time off and get in the water.

I guess there is a plus diving up on the Northern Coast of California (SF north), I rarely run into other divers during the winter, and even during the summer crowds, there aren't that many divers out unless I run into a North Coast Divers function. At Lake Sonoma, locally, I have yet to see another diver, and even up at Lake Tahoe in the summer, in my experience, its mostly uncrowded by divers.

Most divers up in NorCal go down to Monterey and points south to dive, I do occasionally go south for warm water, lobster, and easier scallops.

Diving could get much more popular without me seeing many more divers here.

Bob
-----------------------------
The day I can't dive anymore, I will really need some other good reasons to stay alive. DarkAbyss

Last edited:
I really hope diving becomes more popular. It will cause innovation, and lowering of prices of nearly every piece of gear. I also think that as we climb out of the economic hole that we're currently in, we'll see more diving. People currently are just very frugal. Diving is a supplemental income hobby/sport, and when people can afford basic necessities, then maybe they'll want to take more time off and get in the water.

The 2009/2010 season for the US ski industry was a record-high year in terms of number of skiers and number of visit-days. Conversely, 2009 was the worst year that the US scuba industry has had in the past two two decades in terms of new OW certs.

A day of skiing is about the same cost as a day of diving. A full set of ski gear costs about what a set of scuba gear costs. Travel costs, lodging, etc are present for both in the case of participants who don't live local to sites. Sure, we have certification (cost and hassle) but that's always been the case.

The economy isn't helping scuba, but doesn't adequately explain its declining popularity.

Back
Top Bottom