Is it good that scuba diving is not popular!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell my non-diving wife all the time "Scuba diving is like driving a car. It's very easy to die... and it's just as easy to NOT."
My wife worries all the time when I go out diving. I tell her that the most dangerous part of the day is the drive out and back.
But she never thinks about that, and when I ask her if she'd like to take a drive up the coast she's all over it. Statistically, more people have died on that windy/curvey section of roadway driving that diving in the ocean below it.
I can also say that diving can be as dangerous as you'd like to make it...or as safe.

Just because a song is no longer on the top 40 chart doesn't mean it's no longer a good song, it just means that there are newer songs that people want to hear more than old songs.
If nobody plays an old song people soon forget about it.
Diving has fallen out of view to other sports that have become more popular.
Activity promotion doesn't just run itself, it needs to be constantly placed in front of the consumer.
Nobody did that with diving, they just watched it run itself out and go down.
So the question is, how do we reinvent diving and bring it back into public view?
What can the average person do to help in anyway?
I don't mean to be skeptical, but when I hear the only way is a multi million dollar promotion and advertising campaign by the pro's
that would be great, but who's going to plan it, run it, pay for it. If it's a group effort throughout the industry then how do you heard these cats all onto the same page? How many people would have to be involved in such a campaign world wide. And then finally, what's the payoff, what would be in it for investors?
These are real questions.
There are a staggering number of components to this problem, way more than one person can handle IMO.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but from my perspective diving hasn't fallen out of view. Was it ever IN view? Seems the same to me since I was a kid--a specialized thing that a few do.

Of course I agree the drive to the site is more dangerous than the dive (usually). Then again drowning is very unlikely on the highway. But that gets into that "you have more of a chance dying doing this than that" thing.

One comment I wanted to make regarding the comparison between diving and skiing. These are entirely different sports, you can't compare the two.
One is dry land, speed, exhileration, maneuvering, airborne, stylish clothing, mountains, etc.
The other is wet ocean, underwater, the slower the better, more gear intensive, specialized training, boats (and possible sea sickness), etc.
I think there are more people willing to go up to the mountains for a weekend of skiing/snowboarding, hanging out in a ski lodge by the fire sipping on a hot drink with friends....that is if anybody is considering hobby shopping.
Where I live and across the US there are many more places to ski than to dive, or at least dive in conditions that most people consider pleasurable.
In CA I can think of at least 12 world class ski resorts within easy driving range from anywhere in the state.
I can't say that for the diving. CA waters are cold, the only place remotely warmer is Socal around LA and at best it gets in the very low 70's, and that's not considered warm. Most of the state sits in the 50's. So for warm water diving for exception of FL, you have to get on a plane and fly somewhere to get warm water. Most people like warm water and few of the certified divers in CA actually dive here.
With skiing and just going to the snow, look at how many regions there are country wide. But of course skiing is seasonal, diving around the world is not....but getting there.

Now on another note, I'm thinking about where I have seen dive shops placed geographically in towns and cities as opposed to where I have seen other sport retailers placed within cities.
It seems to me I always see dive shops placed somewhere on the edge of town or somewhere in an out-of-the-way location probably for cheaper rent. People need to know where they are and have to have a specific reason to go there, they don't just pass by and decide to go in.
Other sports, I see them placed in prominent locations like shopping malls and on main thoroughfares....ski shops, bicycle shops, sporting goods stores, gun shops, etc.
My LDS sits on the opposite side of the freeway from a big shopping mall on a small frontage road by some other run down and forgotten businesses.
That got me thinking, if someone was to set up a shop inside that mall and not only have scuba, but also board sports, surf boards, clothing and apparel, swimwear/bikinis, beach and wet footwear, sunglasses, etc. Basically everything water sports related. The mall I mentioned has nothing like this. That mall is always swamped with people especially during Xmas. People will come in to brouse. At that point you have them in the store. This is where TRAINED proffesional sales people come into play. I can't emphasize enough how underestimated and underappreciated good sales people are. That's the key to making people who walk in feel comfortable and capturing their interest to want to know more about what you have to offer them. A good sales person is worth their weight in gold.
Then, not only have a full scuba shop/instruction/fills but also freediving/snorkelling gear and instruction since that is a big draw in our area. Offer trips and day boat charters off the boats in Monterey.
The one thing I've seen in almost every dive shop I've walked into is a sales person standing around being indifferent. They almost have to be talked to before they'll say anything. Dive shops aren't grocery stores where you go in to just get what you need and walk out.
It also helps if the sales people actually dive and truelly are excited about the sport and show their enthusiasm...it should be infectious.
So, perhaps a good first step in promoting scuba and diving in general is thinking about where to place a shop? and the attitude in which you present your sport to a person walking in for the first time.
I remember when I first got into road bicycling, I went into a shop that was great. I was greeted by a friendly happy person that asked me questions and got me into a conversation about everything cool about road biking without making me feel like I was getting the hard sell. I didn't buy right then, but I left excited about getting into biking. The following week I returned and spent well over $2500 on getting set up...and felt great about it. That was some of the best money I ever spent.
What got me in there? the store was on a major blvd in town and had all sorts of bikes hanging out front.
Let's say a scuba shop was at that same or similar location and had a manequin (sp) out front fully dressed in scuba gear or hanging off the eave, or some other display to get my attention I may have just gone in there too to check it out.
The thing with scuba is it's an invisible sport...you can't see the people doing it unless your down there with them.
So I think instead it needs to be way more visible as promotion topside to remind people it still exists.
I'm in the sign and art business. My job is to make people aware of places via visual communication. Your sign(s) and exterior display are a direct reflection of the quality of your business.
I've also designed interiors of restaurants and have done theme work. People are so visual, and the key is you have to touch an emotion somehow. On a cold rainy day if I see a shop with tropical and fun themes I'm going to want to go in there just to absorb some of that happiness.

Now that you mention it, the scuba shops in my area of San Diego are all in pretty lousy locations as well. But what really caught my attention was the focus on "TRAINED SALES PEOPLE". In other words they are not just gear knowledgeable, but they actually know how to engage a new visitor to the store.
Most shops employees know how to deal with divers, but they lack the right sales training to make a new person feel comfortable with diving.

This is still something that would be part of a marketing campaign. Even the emphasis on making this as visual as possible, is equally important.

The industry is out of touch, and a marketing plan to reach out to the public and strategic plan of action for the industry to implement, would be something close to a marketing campaign that is needed.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Now that you mention it, the scuba shops in my area of San Diego are all in pretty lousy locations as well. But what really caught my attention was the focus on "TRAINED SALES PEOPLE". In other words they are not just gear knowledgeable, but they actually know how to engage a new visitor to the store.
Most shops employees know how to deal with divers, but they lack the right sales training to make a new person feel comfortable with diving.

This is still something that would be part of a marketing campaign. Even the emphasis on making this as visual as possible, is equally important.

The industry is out of touch, and a marketing plan to reach out to the public and strategic plan of action for the industry to implement, would be something close to a marketing campaign that is needed.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com
The only reason I'm keen on trained sales people was because I tried my hand at car sales back in the late 80's.
They used to send us to sales schools/workshops to learn how to be a saleperson. You don't just stick somebody in there to collect money, it's not a corn dog stand, it takes a lot more than that. It's almost like acting class. I would actually recommend to anybody intrersted in becoming a proffesional salesperson to take some acting classes, it can't hurt it can only help. They teach you how to be animated and you learn to see what you look and sound like (which can be an eye opener).
They also teach you what to look for in people, to read body language, to recognize when people are getting uncomfortable or many other emotions, and most of all when to shut up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom