Is diving a friendly sport for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before doing my certification 6 months ago, I was very concerned that this was a male dominated, young person's sport, and I was going to be totally out of my element. My husband had to coerce me into signing up for the class. I lucked out to have a female DI (about my age) in a class of 3 guys and me. What I quickly discovered was that not only was she a terrific DI, but her peers (all males) considered her the same. And not only did they hold her in high regard, they treated all of us trainees with equal respect and care - guys and girls alike. This followed through into my AOW class with the same DI but various other students. I think part of my addiction to diving (once certified) was the way divers treat other divers - everyone helps everyone, and everyone just wants to have a safe, exciting, fun time.

Of course I agree with those that said you still have to be self sufficient, know how to handle your own gear, etc. If you can't - then this isn't the sport to be in ...... I'm 5'4" and my husband helps me with my BC, he's 6'4" and I help him with his BC ... we just leverage the tanks from different angles!! We plan to be Buddies for a long time!! :)

Back
Top Bottom