Is diving a friendly sport for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carebear

Reaction score
I was wondering if you ladies feel that diving is a sport that welcomes women, since men seem to be the overwhelming majority in diving?

I've been made to feel welcome everywhere I've ever gone. The only place my being a female is ever an issue is while Divemastering. Some men resent taking instructions and guidance from a woman. This has been more of a cultural thing than a gender thing. On the other hand, being a woman DM has been more of an advantage than anything else.

But outside of my DM duties, men have generally treated me as no less than an equal. But keep in mind how you are treated has alot to do with how you portray yourself. If you are confident in your abilities, take care of your own gear, and show that you are willing and able to totally take care of yourself, you'll be treated as an equal. If you are a foo-foo fluffy girly type more concerned with your nails and hair than getting your gear squared away, you'll be treated as fluff. Understand what I mean?

Don't think I can add much to Dee's post except this little story:

I started my dive career in The Great White North (aka Canada), where I would typically be wearing about 2/3s of my body weight in gear: a full 1/4" neoprene drysuit with HP steel tank, 14# wt belt, plus 3# in ankle wts. (Probably something in the range of 80-100#.)

Basically, the diving philosophy in Canada is: if you can't carry your own gear, you shouldn't be diving. Ergo, any female who was diving, was given her due. Unless proven otherwise, of course. :wink:

I became an Instructor in Dec '94, in 34F water, with 6" of snow on the ground & a balmy 28F air temp. I was the oldest one in my IDC of 8 people, and the only woman at my IE of about 18. NO ONE treated me any differently than the other IDC/IE Candidates. And I never expected it to be otherwise.

Since becoming an IDC Staff Instructor in '95, I have enjoyed working with a wide variety of students at various teaching levels (including Instructors). While it is true that the majority of them are still male, this IS changing. Like the time up in Tobermory where the Course Director looked around and his entire Leadership team was female: from Divemaster Candidates right up to his IDC Staff (me). He thought it was fantastic! And frankly, so did I.

I am happy to say that the people who have difficulty dealing with females in Dive Leadership roles seems to be decreasing. But there ARE still those around that have "problems" with us. And not all of them are students... some are fellow INSTRUCTORS.

All I can say is the best weapon against this is to always be professional. Then it is the misogamists who wind up looking like every bit the fools they are, and not US.

~SubMariner~

Carebear;
The divers I have met seem to feel that there is strength in numbers, so they encourage people to get out there and dive. To me, the divers have been the most friendly people I've met. If you are feeling some resentment or hostility from the group you are diving with, then you need to move on. There is no room for that kind of attitude.

I could add my bit about competition (match) shooting....... the men in that sport reeeeaaallllly don't want to be beat by a woman. Thankfully my sisters and I can give them a regular reminder of why they are not superior:D

Loud applause and cheering for the others who have already posted! Diving, in my experience, is a very friendly sport for all. Males and females seem to get on really well together in this sport and it is one area that I have seen very little gender competition. At the dm and inst training level there always seems to be some friendly girls against guys, but I haven't seen it deteriorate into nastiness.

For fun, it seems like there are always people to dive with simply because both enjoy diving...I know many romances have started this way and many same-gender & opposite gender friendships have bloomed from meetings on dive boats/trips!

Never let anyone push you beyond the limits you set for yourself, continually practice your skills and get out there and dive - we are, on the whole, extremely friendly and fun-loving type people. If you find yourself surrounded by those that aren't, find another dive shop/group.

Enjoy your diving ... maybe we'll catch up somewhere in the big blue!

I've never ran into any problems with the males.But then I'm kinda used to them.Worked Security there's not to many women doing that kind of work either.I have yet had to prove myself like I did when working.But then I'm pretty much a great guy type buddy and want to carry my own weight.The Fluffy type female only confuses me.

Jen

I think all that has been said is true, except one little detail. It is not correct to say men will treat you as their equal in France. :( Some of you have probably read my sad story about dealing with a legionnaire while working in a dive center in Corsica, so I won't repeat it once more.)

I think it's the same all over. no matter how well you present yourself (cf. what Dee said), there will always be annoying males with annoying goals and annoying ways to achieve them.

But maybe my situation is more difficult because I'm only 20 years old. :rolleyes:

I enjoy diving with competent divers and divers who are working to improve their skills. Male or female is not important when diving. I encounter lots of DM's, lots of them shouldn't be DM's. When I find a good DM, I encourage them and frequent their boat often. We recently found a new DM in training who is already better than most of the experienced DM's I see. I will make it a point to dive on her boat often. If only she'd stop trying to help me with my BC and start helping with my beaver tail........... Amanda, I always give them a chance and try to help when they let me, but most DM's your age are more trouble than they're worth. In my experience, males younger than 25 - 30 are too busy trying to prove themselves to learn and do a good job.

I agree with what everyone has said....especially with Amanda.

I have found that diving is a friendly sport - everyone is willing to accept everyone no matter what gender!

Following on from Amandas comment about age though, I do think due to our ages (Amanda - 20 and I'm 19) it maybe do to with being female and young or just our ages but I do feel with some people you get treated differently - and thats mostly with men.

It wasnt too long ago where my age was an issue with other member of this board....they were men!

I havent completed my Divemaster yet - but I'm sure if I did, being taught by a 19 year old woman would be a serious issue for many men!

No matter how much everyone likes to believe we are all treated equally - I can't see it being 100% true!

Besides wbeing a female scuba diver, I am also a female cave diver. I have never had any problem with guys treating me any differently based on gender.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom