Is diving a friendly sport for women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, im creeping again in the womens only forum.. :)

On my recent dive trip we had a male and a female dive guides/masters...on the boat dives. I had equal respect for both of them because they are far more knowledgeable about the dive and Scuba in general. I actually preferred to dive with the female because she would take the time and help me find stuff to video tape. Both were excellent divers though.

Side note: I went on a boat dive with my now ex girlfriend on Lake Michigan back in the fall and she needed help with something to do with her tank/BC. I wasn't close to her at the time so one of the other guys on the boat decided to help her with it..he then proceeded to continue on with the gearing up process for her....he switched tanks for her, moved her BC over to the new tank etc etc..I'm looking at the guy like...WTF are you doing? She needed help with something small and then all of a sudden he thought she was helpless. If I asked for help he would have helped and then stopped at that point. I thought that was sexist.

It is nice to have some help you while donning your equipment, but it is also a plus if you can be self-sufficient. I can put on my tank/BC when the tank is on the ground......ofcourse its nice to have help lifting it, but if help isn't near than no big deal.

Having a dive buddy who is self-sufficient makes it easier and quicker overall.

oh dear. Putting my tank on from the ground is the only thing I can't/won't do by myself - I ask my buddy to lift it up. I'm genuinely worried about straining my back and I think I would be even if I was a guy.
However if there is a bench or something nearby I lift it onto that and then back into it. I try!

If there is a bench around I use that too..its way more easier and less strenous too. I see some guys do the ole lift up over the head technique....I just have to shake my head at that. :/

Diving welcomes competent divers, check the ego & the gender at the door. I have never felt any gender bias or discrimination, but as previously said - it is how you handle yourself. I have been out with other women whom I wanted to shoot by the end of the first dive. Couldn't handle their own gear, didn't want to be the first one in ("I can't go in first!!!" why not?), one held her husbands hand the entire dive - not in a romatic sense, but as in don't-let-me-go-I'll-die (this in 80 degree plus, gin clear water, no current).

There will always be those who have problems with women in any role, they are best avoided.

Walter once bubbled...
Amanda, I always give them a chance and try to help when they let me, but most DM's your age are more trouble than they're worth.

Walter, I'm not very sure I got you right, but if I did, here are some explanations:

-I'm not a DM, I was just selling the dives, helping customers find the right size of suit, give people info about the dives.... and occasionnaly, doing "baprisms" (leading people into very shallow water for their very first time, without going through the whole OW).

-The problem I had was a very rough one, with a legionnaire who WAS a DM. He was 35 years old, a very good professional, but he happened to be the most macho man on earth. And if I say the most macho one, is because the others were just the same, in a "softer" way.

What I'm saying is that not only he scared females customers away, but he was being disrespectful to me, until a very extreme extent.

Of course, when I dive on a leisure basis, I always get treated very well, as any diver would be.
But I DON'T think this beautiful harmony is valid when you work with male DM, and you're a shop girl doing very good job.... and only 20 years old.

Amanda darlin',

You didn't quote the most important part.

"In my experience, males younger than 25 - 30 are too busy trying to prove themselves to learn and do a good job."

DM is a totally different job from working in the shop.

Yep, sorry, I warned you I probably didn't get your post the right way - Oooops. :)

Jersey once bubbled...
one held her husbands hand the entire dive - not in a romatic sense, but as in don't-let-me-go-I'll-die

<<<Putting hand up in shame>>>

The first (and only) night dive I ever did (or will ever do) I did exactly that! I was crying on the back of the boat and I wont go into detail about the brown smears on my wetsuit!!! I dont think its wrong for a woman to show shes terrified of doing something just so she isn't seen as a wimp ! We're all aloud to be scared at times!

I'll quite happily admitt that I am terrified of the dark......and adding water, and only seeing where my torch points is quite a terrifying experience! I spent the whole dive with my eyes tight shut! What was annoying was I knew that PADI didnt require me to do it for my Advanced but the dive centre I was with really pushed it that you have to do it!

The whole thing with helping with a problem and then the gentleman carries on helping even though it isnt asked....I have been through that before - but it was with my dad and I think it was more he was looking after his baby girl!

<<<<Puts hands up again>>>>

I also need help getting on gear from the floor!!! If theres a bench - I'll use it - if not.....I do have to use the puppy dog eyes and ask anyone (male or female) to help! But again that is for the same reason as previously mentioned - back problems....agrevated by weight at the best of times! Especially as I am a wimp when it comes to the weight of a 12l tank !!! On bad days I struggle with a 10 !!!!! :)

Okay...I'm making myself sound like one of those fluffy girls now - I know how to kit up, I know how to dive - I dont need help but if I do I ask for it! Thats the way I think all divers should be (and most are!)

But with that being said sometimes it is too friendly for women, to many gungho guys are right there ready to help. That being said, I will help, after I know they are capable of doing it, and if they ask for assistance. Especially after a long dive with a woman that I know will be tired coming out of the water, a lot of the time I will offer to take their weight belt. I should probably clarify that, in boat dive situation I try to help everyone I can, especially in rough water, and depending on how attentive the assistinting DM is.

Travis

Travisc once bubbled...
But with that being said sometimes it is too friendly for women, to many gungho guys are right there ready to help. That being said, I will help, after I know they are capable of doing it, and if they ask for assistance. Especially after a long dive with a woman that I know will be tired coming out of the water, a lot of the time I will offer to take their weight belt.

Travis

Awww...who said chivalry was dead...:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom