Is D.A.N Membership worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel90512

Reaction score
wanted to know what you all think about DAN ?

as a new diver should i get this ?

or is there a better insurance for diving out there ?

Thanks

Scuba Gabe

Gabriel90512:

Here's a simple question....if you get bent, can you afford the $10k-20kto get helivaced to a hyperbaric chamber and get treated? I know I can't. $35-70/year vs the possibility of $20k....it's almost a no-brainer. Get it.

It's insurance.
If you use it, it's worth it.
If you don't, great... you're helping out someone who does.
Rick

Gabriel90512:
wanted to know what you all think about DAN ?

or is there a better insurance for diving out there ?

Thanks

Scuba Gabe

yes ,,,worth it,,, the top of the line plan,,, stck w/ dan

Ed Hayes

DAN is great, but the people who manage their insurance are far less great. We have spent the last year trying to get them to cover a claim for my spouse.

We initially had problems getting things properly submitted as DAN wants your primary insurance to cover it first and will not do anythig until they get the EOB fromt eh primary insurer. This is not all DAN's fault as the provider and our primary insurance carrier were less than fully cooperative, but DAN has sure not helped in the process.

And then, despite our calling DAN from the ER and the person on duty at DAN agreeing the symptoms were dive related and suggesting treatment options, and despite DAN paying for follow up care by a local provider later, the peopel who manage the policy for DAN are now denying coverage for the costs of the initial treatment as they are saying the injury was not dive related. The injury in question apparently is not on their list of covered ailments and the attending physician failed to spell out in his notes that the injury was in fact due to diving.

Normally, getting an ER doctor from somewhere else to ammend and add detail to his/her notes a year after the fact can be difficult if not impossible but in this case he remembered my spouse, still agrees her symptoms were diving related and has agreed to add the required verbage to the medical record to get it covered. Still a real PITA for us and we will see what DAN does next. I am not impressed and I have not renewed my coverage this year.

Yes, get it! It's absolutely worth it. I went without for a couple of years, and got sick of worrying about the what-ifs. It's a peace of mind, especially when you're far away from home. Your medical insurance MAY or may not cover it, and if you're overseas, the headaches involved with proving to them that it is necessary and getting them to pay aren't worth it. Besides, just about all hyperbaric chambers in the world know about DAN and that it'll cover the expenses. Most will not give a rat's ass about your medical insurance card. So get DAN.

-Roman.

Can you guys answer a question for me?

It looks like the basic family membership of $45 per year does not provide you with any medical assistance insurance?? It looks like you need to upgrade each person to at least the standard plan which is an additional $25 per person. In my case I need to pay the $45 basic membership fee then an additional $25 per person to get any coverage.

Does that sound right? That's how I see it. Looks like you can get additional insurance coverage if you want too, but to get basic coverage for my wife and I, it would cost me

$45 family membership fee
$25 x 2
----------------------
$95 per year

I just renewed two preferred plans with a family membership. Money well spent. Only annoying thing about DAN is having them send you requests monthly to throw in a few more bucks as the president's daughter requires another dive trip around the world and needs some funding.

There are other options out there for insurance, however DAN is widely known and is supported by many 'destination' diving operations, boat captains, and retailers.

While I've heard of incidents like the one DA experienced, I've also heard of incidents where DAN covered astronomical medical fees. I think no potential disaster is risk free, but on the whole I think DAN insurance does more good than harm.

I have it, and I'd recommend it. Its simply another way to mitigate some of the risk that is inherent to scuba diving.

Well I can only speak about what I seen. we had a diver last year get bent real bad the Helicopter from coast guard flew him out to Hospital in willimington then last went to duke I think or chapel hill later this year I meet this fellow again they covered everything after his own personal insurance covered but again I think the documentation has allot to do with it to my choice is to get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom