Is D.A.N Membership worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apart from the great coverage that DAN supplies, I think it is worth becoming a DAN member anyway simply to support such a great organisation. DAN are involved in a great deal of research that in the long run benifits all of us as divers.

I recently researched several plans including DAN before deciding on the PADI Gold plan. I considered cost, limitations, items covered, depth covered, etc. The PADI Gold plan was the best for me based on my priorities.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I recently researched several plans including DAN before deciding on the PADI Gold plan. I considered cost, limitations, items covered, depth covered, etc. The PADI Gold plan was the best for me based on my priorities.

--Matt

I Don't know anything about the PADI plans...what was it that you liked better vs DAN?

Soggy:
I Don't know anything about the PADI plans...what was it that you liked better vs DAN?

Ha ha - I made this matrix of my priorities then compared how each program matched up. Once I decided to go with PADI I tossed it out. I should have kept it for reference or for my friends thinking about insurance.

Incidently - Rodales had a good article about the differences in each plan but I found many mistakes when I went to the actual websites of each plan. Mistakes in cost, coverage limitations, depth limitations, all kinds of errors.

--Matt

As an older diver (50s) I have contacted Dan regarding medical issues on several occasions. In one case a telephone call to DAN saved a dive vacation. Worth it? YES!

---Bob

Soggy:

I double checked the policy differences. The PADI Gold plan costs $67 p/yr. To get the same coverage with DAN the cost is $99 (premium plan). The $99 rate will get you a higher total coverage limitation but based on my research of most likely scenarios the price increase was not worth it.

Comparing apples to apples....for $67 with PADI compared to the $64 plan with DAN you get p/incident coverage rather than lifetime coverage, you get higher dollar coverage for trip cancellation and extra accomodations, you get medical non-dive coverage, and a few other items.

Bottom line you need to pay $99 with DAN to get virtually the same coverage with PADI's $67 plan.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I double checked the policy differences. The PADI Gold plan costs $67 p/yr. To get the same coverage with DAN the cost is $99 (premium plan). The $99 rate will get you a higher total coverage limitation but based on my research of most likely scenarios the price increase was not worth it.

Comparing apples to apples....for $67 with PADI compared to the $64 plan with DAN you get p/incident coverage rather than lifetime coverage, you get higher dollar coverage for trip cancellation and extra accomodations, you get medical non-dive coverage, and a few other items.

Bottom line you need to pay $99 with DAN to get virtually the same coverage with PADI's $67 plan.
--Matt

The DAN Prefered Plan is $70.00 per year, you added the $29.00 membership fee........

matt_unique:
You can't get the insurance unless you pay the $29 DAN membership fee.

I just got their master insurance plan (the middle level one) and a membership a couple of months ago and paid $64 for everything. That insurance price includes the DAN memebership fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom