Is a tank flammable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
What exactly would that danger be? Some poor firefighter might kick the door in to hose the fire down and end up soiling himself when the burst disk goes off like a gunshot?
Moderate heat can weaken an aluminum tank. A weakened aluminum tank can explode at lower-than-burst-disk-failure pressure. The concern is that a partially filled tank can reach temperatures that will weaken the aluminum and cause an explosive failure before it reaches a pressure that will cause the burst disk to fail. Hence the protocol of storing aluminum tanks either full - in which case the burst disk would do its job - or nearly empty, where the tank wouldn't likely reach failure pressure even with a heat-weakened state.
Rick

I scanned a few pictures from an incident that took place quite a few years ago. We were headed out to do some lake diving and had the back of my truck loaded with all our dive gear. We were going to stay for the weekend so we had camping equipment as well. Now the speculation is that a camp stove, which might have had the small propane cylinder attached, was leaking and shifting or something caused a spark and the result is what you see.
We were traveling at about 65 miles an hour when I saw a flicker in the rear view mirror. As I turned to see what it was, flames erupted from under the tarp and the entire box was blazing. Needless to say, I slowed down as quickly as I could and drove into the steep ditch. As we were going in I told the other 2 in the truck to get ready to bail out and I pushed them out the open door as I was reaching for the drivers door handle and tried to open it without looking. I pulled the handle and the door was locked so I turned to pull up the lock when I saw flames wrapped around the cab past the side mirror. If the door had not been locked, I would have opened it because I was looking at the passengers as I pushed them out. It was very windy and as you can see from one of the pictures it kept the flames pushed toward the front of the truck with little damage to the rear. So. I scooted out the passenger door and headed toward the other two in an open field.
It took about 5 or 6 minutes for the first burst disk to blow. The fire was blazing by this time, fueled by the high wind. The first tank that went was right behind where I was sitting in the drivers seat. It was pointed toward the cab and was like a huge blow torch that broke the back glass and blasted through the cab and out the open passenger door. It sounded like a jet engine. Pretty scary. The other tanks took longer to go, I had to have the Fire crew from the nearest town stand back when they arrived about 15 minutes later because there were 2 left to blow. They all got a kick out watching those tanks go and waited until #10 went before they tried to put out the fire. The car that behind us stopped for the show and they told me they had never seen anything like it, when the fire erupted they thought the cab was gone because they could not see us through the flames.
I'm not sure how hot it got but as you can see the tanks remained intact. We lost all of our gear. The lead was melted to the bed of the truck and you can see what is left of a reg on top of the tanks. All the equipment was replaced but the most important thing is that we were all OK. This is the reason I have a lot of faith in scuba tanks.
Oh, the firemen did find a bottle of rum that was not broken and gave it to us. Tasted a bit smoky, but we all needed a drink.

Diver Dennis:
I scanned a few pictures from an incident that took place quite a few years ago. We were headed out to do some lake diving and had the back of my truck loaded with all our dive gear. We were going to stay for the weekend so we had camping equipment as well. Now the speculation is that a camp stove, which might have had the small propane cylinder attached, was leaking and shifting or something caused a spark and the result is what you see.
We were traveling at about 65 miles an hour when I saw a flicker in the rear view mirror. As I turned to see what it was, flames erupted from under the tarp and the entire box was blazing. Needless to say, I slowed down as quickly as I could and drove into the steep ditch. As we were going in I told the other 2 in the truck to get ready to bail out and I pushed them out the open door as I was reaching for the drivers door handle and tried to open it without looking. I pulled the handle and the door was locked so I turned to pull up the lock when I saw flames wrapped around the cab past the side mirror. If the door had not been locked, I would have opened it because I was looking at the passengers as I pushed them out. It was very windy and as you can see from one of the pictures it kept the flames pushed toward the front of the truck with little damage to the rear. So. I scooted out the passenger door and headed toward the other two in an open field.
It took about 5 or 6 minutes for the first burst disk to blow. The fire was blazing by this time, fueled by the high wind. The first tank that went was right behind where I was sitting in the drivers seat. It was pointed toward the cab and was like a huge blow torch that broke the back glass and blasted through the cab and out the open passenger door. It sounded like a jet engine. Pretty scary. The other tanks took longer to go, I had to have the Fire crew from the nearest town stand back when they arrived about 15 minutes later because there were 2 left to blow. They all got a kick out watching those tanks go and waited until #10 went before they tried to put out the fire. The car that behind us stopped for the show and they told me they had never seen anything like it, when the fire erupted they thought the cab was gone because they could not see us through the flames.
I'm not sure how hot it got but as you can see the tanks remained intact. We lost all of our gear. The lead was melted to the bed of the truck and you can see what is left of a reg on top of the tanks. All the equipment was replaced but the most important thing is that we were all OK. This is the reason I have a lot of faith in scuba tanks.
Oh, the firemen did find a bottle of rum that was not broken and gave it to us. Tasted a bit smoky, but we all needed a drink.

I'm glad that you survived that incident unscathed Dennis..

But wow, just looking at those pictures....... I'm shocked that anyone got out alive.
This is better than that shooting a tank thread :14:.

BTW I think one of the reasons why the scuba tanks seem relatively intact (i.e. you can still recognize them) is that the fire wasn't hot enough to melt the aluminum.

Diver Dennis:
But the rum was saved Jam...:D
We were out before there was the major damage you see there. I had to sit in the field and watch it burn...
smoked rum, could be a marketable flavor. :jump3:

Sideband:
Maybe, but I hear that she wears her mask on her forehead.

Joe
and there is a problem with this :33:

Heffey:
..snip..
I assume that you are a responsible person and would not be prone to horseplay, but a scuba tank in less responsible hands could be a real safety issue. I'm not too sure that a pressurized tank and dorm life are well suited for each other.
..snip..

There is a short video somewhere on the Internet of a guy that straps a tank to his back, valve down, gets horizontal on a wheeled cart and then one of his colleagues knocks the valve off with a sledge hammer.
The guy is then rocket propelled across the room and into a sort of barrel.
Fortunately his aim was good.... :wink:

dlndavid:
and there is a problem with this :33:
You don't know? It's a universal sign of distress. You can either fly the Flag upside down, shoot a gun 3 times, light 3 signal fires, or wear a mask on your forehead. I personally never go anywhere without my mask for just this reason. Sure, if I were choking on a bit of food or a hard candy I could place my hand around my throat and hope someone notices, OR I could whip out my mask and place it firmly on my forehead causing untold numbers of rescuers to flock to my table and render assistance. As I understand it, when Apollo 13 got into trouble they alerted mission control by all pulling out masks and placing them on their forehead. When mission control saw that they immediatly knew there was trouble. That whole, Houston, we have a problem.", thing was made up for television.

Joe

Dennis...

I know the tanks were a bust (no pun intended). but did you just throw them all out?

I was just curious if you hydro-tested any of them to see what their burst point (in pSI) was after the fire????

mike_s:
Dennis...

I know the tanks were a bust (no pun intended). but did you just throw them all out?

I was just curious if you hydro-tested any of them to see what their burst point (in pSI) was after the fire????

Nobody but a HARD CORE scuba nerd would pay to hydro burned tanks just for fun :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom