Is a tank flammable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMan2025

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all

Well, so I am living in some college dorms and I walked by on of the directors of the dormoritories as I was carrying a SCUBA tank. She approached me and told me that I wasnt allowed to have the tank in my room because it is a fire hazard. She said that the tank was flammable and could be a potential hazard towards myself and others. This isnt the really big tanks, its just a smaller one, with the normal mixture of oxygen in it. Is this true? If so, what is the temperature required to cause the tank to explode?. Thanks guys!

-ScubaMan2025-

ScubaMan2025:
Hey all

Well, so I am living in some college dorms and I walked by on of the directors of the dormoritories as I was carrying a SCUBA tank. She approached me and told me that I wasnt allowed to have the tank in my room because it is a fire hazard. She said that the tank was flammable and could be a potential hazard towards myself and others. This isnt the really big tanks, its just a smaller one, with the normal mixture of oxygen in it. Is this true? If so, what is the temperature required to cause the tank to explode?. Thanks guys!

-ScubaMan2025-
Your dorm director is an i.... - ahem... - is mistaken... And so long as the tank is reasonably full, it will never explode in a fire, but rather the burst disk will blow and release the pressure. Or you can store it near empty, in whcih case it'll never explode either.

In a fire, I'd expect the overpressure relief disk to blow (if it has one), but the tank shouldn't explode if you only have air in it. Your resident director may be... misinformed.

she's misinformed

good luck convincing her of that

If you have 100% O2 in your tank then she is right that it is a potential fire hazzard. Since you likely have air or 21% then it's no more flammable than the stuff you are breathing right now.

Rick is also correct. The tank won't explode in a fire...

Have her look at this thread.

MSilvia:
...Your resident director may be... misinformed.

They usually are.

She was probably thinking of an oxygen tank. The air in a regular scuba tank isn't any more likely to catch on fire than...well... the air.

you learn something new everyday. :D

MSilvia:
Almost certainly... many people assume all divers wear O2 tanks.
especially those in the news media

MSilvia:
Almost certainly... many people assume all divers wear O2 tanks.
:eek_2: What do you mean we don't wear Oxygen tanks! If we don't have them with us then we can't hold our breath as long! :eek_2:

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom