Is a God Needed for Morality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis:
I was checking out the previews for the new movie "Nativity". All I can say is that Jesus' mother was HOT.

The poet Amiri Baraka once wrote that he didn't know of any proof that God exists, but that he could easily contact the Devil simply by dialing 911.

lmao...omfg....so you would tap that @$$, huh?

shame shame shame. Thems are fighting words to which I think Joseph might have to open up a can of whoopass on ya when u get to heaven.

but alas, u r talking about the actress, not the real Mary.

Green_Manelishi:
Now that I know you mean me harm I'll decline the invitation, or I'll slip in quietly and surprise you ...
Now you are the one assuming that I was implying something. I assure you that I mean you no harm. After all you are responsible for my awesome jet fins, and you know where I live.....

~Jess

JessH:
Now you are the one assuming that I was implying something. I assure you that I mean you no harm. After all you are responsible for my awesome jet fins, and you know where I live.....

~Jess

Oh, well in that case, what time is dinner? I'll bring the lobster and whisky. :D

Green_Manelishi:
Oh, well in that case, what time is dinner? I'll bring the lobster and whisky. :D
Now that is my type of meal. If you show up with Lobster and Whisky I will have no reason to eat you! I am actually rather hungry right now, come on over :)

~Jess

JessH:
Do you believe in the death penalty? I know far too many anti-abortion people who are pro death penalty. I don't see how someone in there right mind could rationalize that and truly consider themself a christian, yet sadly I see it every day.

~Jess

I'm not sure how you would tie the two together. In one case 'the issue is the rights of one who hasn't done anything wrong and and can't look after their own rights. In the other case the issue is the rights of one who has been convicted of a "serious" crime.

What scriptural case would you make to support the idea that a Christian shouldn't be in favor of the death penalty?

MikeFerrara:
I'm not sure how you would tie the two together. In one case 'the issue is the rights of one who hasn't done anything wrong and and can't look after their own rights. In the other case the issue is the rights of one who has been convicted of a "serious" crime.

What scriptural case would you make to support the idea that a Christian shouldn't be in favor of the death penalty?
"Thou shalt not kill" sounds rather clear to me.

~Jess

So this is the part where you say "well scholars now say that it should be translated 'You should not murder'" and that the death penalty is not murder because the bible says that it isn't murder if.......... Well that sure sounds like someone trying to figure out how to justify their beliefs and actions by bending their moral code to me....

And then if you know your bible you are going to bring up Exodus 21 which says:
"He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death."

But it also says:

"He who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death."

"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property. "

"If a man sells his daughter as a female slave, she is not to go free (E)as the male slaves do."

So what are your feelings on slavery?

Maybe some of the bible is a little outdated....

~Jess

Kevrumbo:
Morality in the Judeo-Chistian-Islamic tradition comes from authorative declarations such as "Thou shall not kill --else you'll go to Hell!";.....

IMO, analytically (not Theologically Thalassamania!) this boils down to a Pascal's Wager Scenario, the motivation to "do the right thing" not really coming from morality per se but from ironically, self-interest in one's welfare in this Life and whatever else is to come (i.e. an AfterLife).

As far as Christianity, your opening statement is false so the conclusions that you draw are also false.

If you stopped part way through the Old Testament, your statement would seem true but the purpose of Old Testament law was to set the standard and show people that they couldn't meet that standard. If we add in the rest of the Bible we see that it's required that the Law be written to our hearts. Its not just your deeds that count but every thought. I would call that "morals". Rebirth in the Spirit (accomplished through Christ) and becoming a new creation is what gets you to heaven and not just acting good for reward.

MikeFerrara:
As far as Christianity, your opening statement is false so the conclusions that you draw are also false.

If you stopped part way through the Old Testament, your statement would seem true but the purpose of Old Testament law was to set the standard and show people that they couldn't meet that standard. If we add in the rest of the Bible we see that it's required that the Law be written to our hearts. Its not just your deeds that count but every thought. I would call that "morals". Rebirth in the Spirit (accomplished through Christ) and becoming a new creation is what gets you to heaven and not just acting good for reward.
Theology aside Mike, my analysis & opinion is based on Psychological/Sociological tenets on applied Motivation Theory, and throw in a little Game Theory as well. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom