Is a Dive Computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe something has been changed from time when I did my course, but wikipedia still thinking that :

Maybe eelnora, the DIR practitioner, did not like the square part. I guess if you go down for 80 feet and across for 30 feet and then back up for 80 feet that should be considered an upright rectangular dive profile and if you go down for 60 and across for 120 feet then back up for 60 feet it is a sideways rectangle. But then again that is only on a drift dive. On an anchored dive down for 80 feet across the hard bottom and back for 40 feet and then back up for 80 feet would be considered an L profile...unless you turned right and then it would be a backwards L profile - Hmmm these tables are mighty complex.....me tinks me gonna stick to computers. :wink:

---------- Post added August 31st, 2014 at 10:52 PM ----------

It was NOT an option back in the mid 60's!!!
I still know how to calculate square root after all these years!

I agree. So many feel that we have so many better tools today, be it in diving, or car repair, or computing, or medicine, that the old skills of the past are no longer needed. Yet it is these very people middle aged 40-70 year olds that grew up learning the old way and now have the benefit of the new as well. I am not sure that when we have generations of kids growing up who only know the new ways and have no understanding of how we got here and the physics, science, mathematics behind the processes that we will be in a better place.

Hello to everyone. Despite having too much divers and dive pointa, unfortunately we don't have any active forum about Scuba diving in Turkey. :) Glad to discover your forum.

I'm a beginner, licenced (cmas 1*) since April and i've 21 dives already and keep counting. I really enjoy it and regret not starting it younger. I bought my own equipments (incl. bcd and regulator). Now i'm searching for a low price dive computer. I've read all of your comments, espacially the ones about the tables. We've learned the tables but our instructors still suggest us to buy a dive computer if we have the necessary budget. I beleive, for a long time all of my dives will be no-deco dives. Till now, we've made the safety stops in 5 meter but we're always watching our dm. On the other hand, in October and in December, i'm going to dive 4-5 days consecutive as two dives a day. Do ou think i'm going to need a dive computer to watch myslef properly ?

I was thinking to buy an Oceanic VEO3 (350usd in Turkey). I've read good reviews about it.

Hello to everyone. Despite having too much divers and dive pointa, unfortunately we don't have any active forum about Scuba diving in Turkey. :) Glad to discover your forum.

I'm a beginner, licenced (cmas 1*) since April and i've 21 dives already and keep counting. I really enjoy it and regret not starting it younger. I bought my own equipments (incl. bcd and regulator). Now i'm searching for a low price dive computer. I've read all of your comments, espacially the ones about the tables. We've learned the tables but our instructors still suggest us to buy a dive computer if we have the necessary budget. I beleive, for a long time all of my dives will be no-deco dives. Till now, we've made the safety stops in 5 meter but we're always watching our dm. On the other hand, in October and in December, i'm going to dive 4-5 days consecutive as two dives a day. Do ou think i'm going to need a dive computer to watch myslef properly ?

I was thinking to buy an Oceanic VEO3 (350usd in Turkey). I've read good reviews about it.
I dive with and like my VEO 2.0, the 3.0 adds the capability of 2 gas mixes and while many may never need it, its a nice feature for future growth. The price point is pretty good for new retail, I would go for it.

I agree with gopbroek..great computer with great features although if you can get the VEO 2.0 at an even better price point that might be a better option. Realistically you will not need the added features of 2 gas mixes and if you truly did move in that direction selling your VEO to get something different would not be an issue.

It was NOT an option back in the mid 60's!!!
I still know how to calculate square root after all these years!

Great!

Do you do it often?

Of course many of us did many dives without a dive computer in the days before they became common. If you are just diving occasionally, a purchase at this time may not be important depending on what rental charges are.

Hi guys, I recently just got certified and was wondering how necessary a computer is. Should I just rent? I plan on visiting Hawaii, hoping to get at least 6 dives in. I don't know if I'll be diving regularly or just on vacay. I was looking at the Oceanic Geo 2.0, it's so pretty but a bit too expensive. Any thoughts?

Computers are great for helping maximize your potential bottom time, multi-level dives, multiple dives per day, multiple days of diving. Very easy to use for non-standard nitrox mixtures, change in mixtures used. I don't use mine for ascent rate but useful, perhaps especially when learning appropriate assent.

I like the mid-priced Oceanic computers and dive a Geo2 as backup for my VT3. The Veo2, Veo3, and Geo2 are priced in a narrow range, the latter 2 allowing for 2 gases. All three have dual algorithm with the liberal DSAT and the more conservative PZ+, allowing for personal choice or matching a buddy's algorithm.

Personally, I would not dive without a computer unless I did not have one available.

Great!

Do you do it often?
Does it matter?
How often do you use all the skill/knowledge etc etc that you have accumulated over the yrs and applied in your daily life and work?
I learned CESA but never had a chance to use it and I have no desire whasoever. The first computer that I came across was about 10 x 6ft and needed punch cards. I am pretty sure what the students learn at Univ and college nowdays could become obsolete in 20 yrs time. So are they wasting their time?

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2014 at 09:52 AM ----------

So many feel that we have so many better tools today, be it in diving, or car repair, or computing, or medicine, that the old skills of the past are no longer needed. Yet it is these very people middle aged 40-70 year olds that grew up learning the old way and now have the benefit of the new as well. I am not sure that when we have generations of kids growing up who only know the new ways and have no understanding of how we got here and the physics, science, mathematics behind the processes that we will be in a better place.
Agree.

Does it matter?
How often do you use all the skill/knowledge etc etc that you have accumulated over the yrs and applied in your daily life and work?
I learned CESA but never had a chance to use it and I have no desire whasoever. Th

Yes, it does matter.

If you are ever in a situation where you need to know how to do a CESA, you had better know how to do it.

If you are ever in a situation where you need to know the square root of something, which would be a miracle on the order of the loaves and fishes, you can punch it into a calculator. You don't have to know the bloody mathematical process for doing it.

Yes, it does matter.

If you are ever in a situation where you need to know how to do a CESA, you had better know how to do it.

If you are ever in a situation where you need to know the square root of something, which would be a miracle on the order of the loaves and fishes, you can punch it into a calculator. You don't have to know the bloody mathematical process for doing it.
1. I know how to do a CESA but never have a chance to practice it in real life. Same apply to CPR etc etc.
2. I have to know how to do it because it was part of the course!!! Electronic device was NOT available back in the 60's!!
3. I hope my brain can erase all those scientific theories, laws etc etc that I had learnt over the yrs but have no real application whatsoever over last 20yrs in my life and restore those brain cells for something USEFUL in the future!!!!!
4. I wish I have the nerve to tell those teachers at school that certain subjects are basket weaving and have no use for me.

Back
Top Bottom