Is 7mm overkill for coastal NC right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boozegood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be diving in the Jacksonville, NC area. Is 7mm overkill for this time of year? I will be diving quarries and open water.

Thank you!

I will be diving in the Jacksonville, NC area. Is 7mm overkill for this time of year? I will be diving quarries and open water.

Thank you!

I have to ask you Boozegood, why in the heck would you dive a quarry in Jacksonville when there is an ocean just minutes away?

Topside you will be hot as Hades in that suit, it is still in the 90s here during the day. I'm guessing that you will be fine in a 7mm in a quarry, but way too hot in the ocean. It is in the mid 70s in the ocean right now. I'd lighten it up if you have another suit unless you are planning to beeline to the bottom of whatever quarry you are diving in.

The quarry is for my nav. and search/recovery dives, towards my AOW cert.

I'm thinking of getting a 4/3 for the ocean around this time, or just a straight 3. Would that be suitable? I'm trying to stay on the heavier side of the spectrum, as I'm about to be at the end of my enlistment in the Corps and will be moving back up to Mass. So, most of my diving will be around New England.

If the suit needs to serve your purposes in New England you want to go with the 7.

The quarry is for my nav. and search/recovery dives, towards my AOW cert.

I'm thinking of getting a 4/3 for the ocean around this time, or just a straight 3. Would that be suitable? I'm trying to stay on the heavier side of the spectrum, as I'm about to be at the end of my enlistment in the Corps and will be moving back up to Mass. So, most of my diving will be around New England.

I struggle with having the right combo of suits. When are they springing you?

If you are moving soon, I don't know that I would do anything other than wear your 7mm. You should be fine in the quarry with that, although hot topside. If you are doing ocean dives right now you could probably rent a suit as I do think you will be way too hot in a 7mm. I don't dive after about early October, I'm not sure when it gets cool enough for a 7mm, but I would think by November you would be fine in a 7mm.

I dive a 3mm, but as a native NC diver, I wish someone had told me to buy a 5mm. I think that is really the perfect suit for here. Gives a bit more time on the fringe of the season, and is passable in the summer if you keep yourself wet while on deck.

I did my AOW dives offshore down there, but honestly, I think the quarry is best for those two dives. What other dives are you doing in the ocean? This weekend is looking a bit "sporting" out there.

Hey all, thank you for the replies. I think what I will do is get a 3mm as soon as I can (this coming paycheck). I can tough out a 3mm bellow the thermocline this time of year around here, and than I will use the 3mm for spring/late summer/early fall surfing back home =). Next I'll get a 5 than a 1.5-2, but neither of those anytime soon.

I dove out of Beaufort this past weekend and wore a 2mm short suit, very comfortable at all depths. Just go with what works for you!

I dove out of Beaufort this past weekend and wore a 2mm short suit, very comfortable at all depths. Just go with what works for you!

Yeah, you Yanks can take far cooler water than we can. OP is a Yank too. What were the bottom temps this weekend?

I stopped diving in a shortie after learning about Vibrio. Now it is a layering piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom