Is 7mm overkill for coastal NC right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to nitpick: Hades isn't hot.

I dive in a 1mil rash guard and board shorts this time of year.
Unless you happen to be diving the Phlegethon, where even in a 1 mil you'd be too warm.

Vibrio
A number of illnesses, including cholera, are caused by the Vibrio family of bacteria. There are at least ten different types of this bacteria. The most common illnesses caused by the bacteria include gastrointestinal problems, soft tissue infections, and sepsis.

Shoot... I had to look that up! Anyway, I think that I am pretty cold tolerant and when I go out to the ledges, I wear a 3mm full. I don't pay it much attention cause I am looking for the teeth. I could probably go with less e.g. 3/2 shorty or such but I am working so I pay it no attention. Just looked it up on the computer and found it 75* at 105'.

Quarry’s start getting pretty cool @ 28' as the thermocline kicks in... Last month I was trying to see how far I could get down and found it 58* at 59'... In my 3mm I could not stay for long at all nor would I want to...! FYI, it was 73* at 32', 64* at 41'... and this was at the end of July...

lee

Welp, the decision was made for me. Trying on my new 7mm, a tear opened on the neck-seal. So, I've returned it and am swapping it for a 3mm. In a few months I will get a 7mm.

My computer registered 80 degrees at depth when I was on the Papoose and the Spar on Saturday.

To answer the OP, I wore a 7mm and was comfortable. Others on the boat wore 1mm, 3mm, 7mm and one Fusion drysuit

My computer registered 80 degrees at depth when I was on the Papoose and the Spar on Saturday.

To answer the OP, I wore a 7mm and was comfortable. Others on the boat wore 1mm, 3mm, 7mm and one Fusion drysuit

A 7mm was great!!. If you can accept the buoyancy shift and have your weighting worked out I would recommend the 7mm, as it will be great at preventing thermal heat loss (which always occurs when diving wet no matter how warm the water is).

Back
Top Bottom