Is 5mm wetsuit too much for 80-86 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just returned from diving in the bahamas on a livaboard. i am a freeze bug. i bought my 0.5mm and my 3mm just in case. i ended up wearing my 0.5mm all week and was fine even at night the h2o temp on computer was 85 degrees. the only time i got cold was during the shark feeding and i think that was just nerves.

I get chilly after a while in a 3mm in 75-78 degree water, so I think a 5mm would be fine.

I just got back from diving at Morehead City, NC. The bottom temps were 70 to 75. I was comfortable in my 3 mil hyperstretch wetsuit (I took my 5/7 mil but didn't use it). I was comfortable in the same suit in Bonaire in 80-degree water.

On the other hand, a man on the boat used a 1/2 mil wetsuit and was comfortable. A couple of young women used 5 mil suits and were comfortable.

I suspect 3 mil is middle of the road for the Bermuda temps you're expecting, and it would be a general-purpose wetsuit to own. But YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom