Is 5mm wetsuit too much for 80-86 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HNITSUJ:
I guess I'll pick up a 1mm for her. I already have one.

Does she tend to chill easier then you? My husband dives in a 3mm most of the time. I get very chilled by the end of day 2 in 3mm if it's 78-80. In Cozumel in late May/early June, I'm wearing a 5mm full suit and it's just right for me doing 2-3 dives a day for 6-8 consecutive days. Temps were 80-82. I'd be fine for a day or two with a 3mm but not for longer.

When diving with your wife or girlfriend (not sure which one applies here), best to let her decide what suit she wants ...otherwise if she is too cold or too warm it will be your fault and neither of you will have a good dive trip.

During the school year I'll spend as much as an hour or two/day, 4 days/week, in the diving-well; 83ºF with my bathing suit on. You'll be fine in just a bathing suit. :) If you'd like, perhaps a rash-guard at the most.

78ish and up, I wear a lycra or 1mm skin. I have a 3mm vest I wear once in awhile if it's on the cooler side of that.

5mm will be uncomfortable for most people on the surface, and while you can let in water to cool off, you also lose some of the warm water benefit of needing little lead. Get something thinner, they're cheap.

Switching from 5mm to 1mm skin remember weighting.
She is going to need a lot less lead.

Is 5mm wetsuit too much for 80-86 degrees?
HNITSUJ:
Gonna be doing some diving in bermuda in two weeks. All we have is 5mm suits or drysuits. Obviously the drysuit is out. I understand I may be a tad warm on the boat but once I hit the water, I should be fine? What do ya think?

If you'll be doing 3, 4 or 5 dives a day, from a covered diveboat, in 80 degree water, a 5 mil will do well... Especially if your body fat is low. If you're diving 1 or 2 a day, in 86 degree water from an uncovered boat, and your body fat is up there . . . well, don't forget the sunscreen.:confused:

All you have to do is pull the neck seal out and let a little water in if you get hot. Or leave the zipper open as someone else said. I never end a dive from being too hot, only too cold. If you're doing several dives a day your core temp will drop and you'll be very glad for that suit nearing the end of your trip. I dive in a 5mm hyperstretch or more in the Caribbean. With a hyperstretch hood. better to be comfortable and pull your neck open every once in a while than too cold and end your dives early in Paradise because you were too cold.

C U underwater :snorkel: ,
scubadivadivemaster

I use a 3/2 in 68 degree, Sometimes I don't even use one. Generally I would not wear anythng in that temp unless protection is needed from scrapes or jellyfish

ScubaDivaDivemaster:
All you have to do is pull the neck seal out and let a little water in if you get hot. Or leave the zipper open as someone else said. I never end a dive from being too hot, only too cold. If you're doing several dives a day your core temp will drop and you'll be very glad for that suit nearing the end of your trip. I dive in a 5mm hyperstretch or more in the Caribbean. With a hyperstretch hood. better to be comfortable and pull your neck open every once in a while than too cold and end your dives early in Paradise because you were too cold.

C U underwater :snorkel: ,
scubadivadivemaster

I have to agree with sddm, you won't end a dive because you're too hot! It's all personal based upon your own body and how cold natured or warm natured you are.

Here are a few tips on wetsuits and diving:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/helpful_information_articles.cfm

Have a great trip and stay warm and wet!

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom