IPhone or BB Bold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a new smart phone. Up in the air between the IPhone or the Blackberry Bold. Have read reveiws online but most seem oneside . Was loking for some input from folks that have used them for a while. Thanks:D

Touch choice.
Love BB's, they are nice phones. Had a hard time switching from the Pearl to the iPhone but never regretted the change.

Love my iPhone and all of its appleisms.
iDeco is not available on the BB. :cool2:

I doubt you can go wrong either way.

I've fallen hard for my Iphone. I have lots of computer and cellphone experience and I have to say that it is the most useful electronic device I have owned. I hardly take my laptop any more. There are sooooo many useful and well priced apps for it. And not only that but Apple is taking it to the next level with the release of v. 3.0 firmware which is going to incorporate LOTS of new features. It's due out this summer.

I've got the BB Storm. It's a good phone and has some cool features that the iPhone doesn't have....

but the iPhone also has some cool features the BB Storm doesn't have also.

but if I could have gotten the iPhone and easily stayed with my current provider (Verizon), I would have made a different choice.

Having used both, the Bold is better for business. If you need to bang out some emails, the tactile keyboard is easier to use. There are less bells and whistles, but what it does it does well. Calls, Contacts, Emails, Tasks. The browser has some short comings and the screen is smaller. But they are relativly durable.

The iphone is a bit more consumer oriented, and has a much better browser interface. (however a lack of flash is still leaves something to be desired. The interface and keyboard do take some ramp up time to get used to (more so than the BB) But it's not a big deal once you use it for awhile.

The iphone wins in the App department right now as well. A broader range of software and yes that includes some great diving programs. with an iphone you are currently stuck on ATT - this can be an issue depending on your location. The BB has a wider selection of carriers.

I had/have used a BB for years and was underwelmed by the storm when it first came out. MY curve (work) is close enough to a bold that there wasn't a reason to upgrade. (But we did demo it and I liked it as much) The iPhone 3g is a 2nd generation phone, so they did get some time to put some fixes into it. There's an update due out mid year so that will add some long awaited features. (and will probably break a few things too!)

If you want something easy - to make calls and read / send email. I'd go BB. If you do a little surfing, and want to add some apps, the iPhone is a little more robust. (I never thought I'd admit it - but I like my iPhone a little better.)

If you want something easy - to make calls and read / send email. I'd go BB. If you do a little surfing, and want to add some apps, the iPhone is a little more robust.

This is how I would base my decision. I like my iPhone, but I'm glad I don't text much.

John

Having used both, the Bold is better for business. If you need to bang out some emails, the tactile keyboard is easier to use. There are less bells and whistles, but what it does it does well. Calls, Contacts, Emails, Tasks. The browser has some short comings and the screen is smaller. But they are relativly durable.

The iphone is a bit more consumer oriented, and has a much better browser interface. (however a lack of flash is still leaves something to be desired. The interface and keyboard do take some ramp up time to get used to (more so than the BB) But it's not a big deal once you use it for awhile.

The iphone wins in the App department right now as well. A broader range of software and yes that includes some great diving programs. with an iphone you are currently stuck on ATT - this can be an issue depending on your location. The BB has a wider selection of carriers.

I had/have used a BB for years and was underwelmed by the storm when it first came out. MY curve (work) is close enough to a bold that there wasn't a reason to upgrade. (But we did demo it and I liked it as much) The iPhone 3g is a 2nd generation phone, so they did get some time to put some fixes into it. There's an update due out mid year so that will add some long awaited features. (and will probably break a few things too!)

If you want something easy - to make calls and read / send email. I'd go BB. If you do a little surfing, and want to add some apps, the iPhone is a little more robust. (I never thought I'd admit it - but I like my iPhone a little better.)

This post pretty much nails it.

I have both (unfortunately)... and I say that because I'm forced to carry 2 devices. If I could only have one it would be my iPhone hands down. There's nothing it won't do from a business / productivity perspective and has all the day to day convenience features you could ever imagine, especially if music, photos etc are a factor in your decision. You simply can't beat it. Typing is not a problem and if anything, the smart typing feature on the iPhone has made me worse on my BB.

good summary.

I've got the Storm and I will say it's not as "flashy" as they wanted it to be. My impression was that it was "rushed to market" to try to compete with the iPhone before the Christmas buying season.

I chose it over the other BB products because I wanted the larger screen and rarely need to use the keyboard for long periods.

would be cool to have the apps that the I phone has.......

Here are some things that I noticed that are greatly different on the phones, for comparison purposes.

Memory - On the BB Storm, if you want more memory, you simply upgrade your microSD card. (It comes with 8bg and put in what you want. The iPhone the memory is made in and you have to upgrade phones to get more.

Battery - the storm has a replaceable/removable battery. The iPhone does not. (I've already had to replace my battery under warranty).

802.11g - The iPhone supports 802.11g "wifi" if you're accessible to a public wireless router/access point, such as in a hotel or conference center. The BB Storm does not have this feature.

Apps - iPhone beats the BB hands down. But most people for business purposes really only use the BB primarily for email it appears. iPhone users tend to have a bigger spectrum of what they use it for.

Price - the BB Storm is much cheaper than the iPhone (or was when I got mine. I think I paid about $50 or $100 total after a $100 corporate deal credit and $50 mail in rebate).

GPS - the iPhone GPS is incorporated with Google Maps. The BB Storm uses their own app. you also have to pay $10/month to get GPS with Verizon and don't have to pay that with AT&T on the iPhone.

There are other issues and comparisons, but these are jsut a few off the top of my head. hope it helps.

mike

WOW!! thanks a bunch for the info.

I am on the road a good bit so i use the browser a lot...ebay,facebook,etc .

As for memory i saw the 8g for $179 and the 16g for $279 at wal-mart this past weekend. For those of you with the Iphone,is it worth the extra $100 to double the memory? How much space do those apps take in general?

After some thought i really think i am gonna go with the Iphone:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom