What Diameter Tanks Will This Manifold Work On...USD solid twin manifold w/J Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallowa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a new but old style USD twin tank solid manifold with J Valve and tried to use on twin 7.25 63cf Al tanks. 7.25 band were fine on bottom of tanks but upper band would not tighten flush and slightly more gap between bottom of tanks and top without bands...at most 1/16 "....can this manifold be used on 7.25" tanks? What am I missing?

Appreciate any input and recommendations.

Phil

I have a new but old style USD twin tank solid manifold with J Valve and tried to use on twin 7.25 63cf Al tanks. 7.25 band were fine on bottom of tanks but upper band would not tighten flush and slightly more gap between bottom of tanks and top without bands...at most 1/16 "....can this manifold be used on 7.25" tanks? What am I missing?

Appreciate any input and recommendations.

Phil
There might be a couple of different valve-to-valve distances. My particular USD single-valve, solid bar, J-valve manifold uses today's "standard" distance.

rx7diver

What tanks are you using with this manifold? I measure valve to valve at approx 8.5". I doubt that USD made different distance with this manifold.

What tanks are you using with this manifold? ...
Currently I use Faber LP50's (and the bands for 5.5" cylinders with "standard" spacing). But I tried Luxfer Al 80's (using the bands for 7.25" cylinders with "standard" spacing), and things fit with no issues, too.

rx7diver

Currently I use Faber LP50's (and the bands for 5.5" cylinders with "standard" spacing). But I tried Luxfer Al 80's (using the bands for 7.25" cylinders with "standard" spacing), and things fit with no issues, too.

rx7diver
Thanks, that you could use AL80s tells me a lot...your say "standard" spacing in reference to 50s and 80s...what exactly does that mean and what is that "standard spacing" with the AL 7.25" dia 80s? ..thanks for your patience in this and I appreciate the help and information.

Phil

Ps...what brand bands did you use on 80s?

Thanks, that you could use AL80s tells me a lot...your say "standard" spacing in reference to 50s and 80s...what exactly does that mean and what is that "standard spacing" with the AL 7.25" dia 80s? ..thanks for your patience in this and I appreciate the help and information.

Phil
Today's "standard" spacing refers to ~8.5" valve-to-valve. A couple of decades ago, there was no "standard." For example, my Sherwood Genesis Double-DIN Isolation doubles manifold, which I purchased new c. 1994, has a narrower spacing. I believe these manifolds became available c. 1988. I believe these manifolds were the first isolation manifolds sold here in the U.S. Dive Rite manufactured doubles bands to accommodate this manifold for 7.25" cylinders.

rx7diver

Today's "standard" spacing refers to ~8.5" valve-to-valve. A couple of decades ago, there was no "standard." For example, my Sherwood Genesis Double-DIN Isolation doubles manifold, which I purchased new c. 1994, has a narrower spacing. I believe these manifolds became available c. 1988. I believe these manifolds were the first isolation manifolds sold here in the U.S. Dive Rite manufactured doubles bands to accommodate this manifold for 7.25" cylinders.

rx7diver
Thanks yet again...I have 8.5" valve to valve on the solid USD single valve manifold in question and still having trouble with the two 63 Al tanks not being aligned....will take it apart tomorrow and try incrementally screw each tank into the manifold...I have no need or do I want two valves...thanks for your help.

Phil

1-16-inches-on-a-ruler.jpg

Maniac? Perhaps, but you really should get a grip....I see your nonsensical posts and only wonder what you are trying to accomplish...just get noticed? See yourself quoted? Tasmanian Devil indeed....must be very confusing inside your head...

Maniac? Perhaps, but you really should get a grip....I see your nonsensical posts and only wonder what you are trying to accomplish...just get noticed? See yourself quoted? Tasmanian Devil indeed....must be very confusing inside your head...
We are all a bit strange, happy diver might be a bit more than most😆
But he is alot smarter then some of his posts let on😆😆😆😆
I have learned alot from him, 👍

Back to your problem.

Firstly some pictures on your end would be a big help.

Here are some pictures for reference
20231113_220604.jpg
20231113_220621.jpg
20231113_220640.jpg
20231113_220721.jpg

Modern manifolds are 8.5 inch normally
The vintage ones are 8 inch and mainly ment for lp72s I believe.

from what I can understand from your posts it sounds like maybe you have lp72 band????
Or maybe I am totally miss understanding......

Back
Top Bottom